Saving updates on the hard drive

smolyakoff

Oct 15, 2009, 8:17:26 AM10/15/09
to gOS Linux
If it is posiible how to save 300 mb of updates on my computer to use
it again after the reinstall or on an other computer?

mahjongg

Oct 15, 2009, 11:38:45 AM10/15/09
to gOS Linux
No, as far as I know there is no such possibility (please correct me
if i'm wrong).
What IS possible is to "remaster", that is to create a new live_CD
from the version on your hard-disk.

In a way its a back-up of the complete (and updated) gOS.

read more about the tool to do it here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Remastersys

Roy

Oct 16, 2009, 8:37:24 AM10/16/09
to gosl...@googlegroups.com
You can also save your list of installed programmes to a text file and re-install them on another computer or on the same one if you format your drive. This requires downloading them again which is no problem if you have a hispeed connection. This gives you the advantage of being able to start fresh. Same programmes each time but you will get whatever is current in the repositories. Note: this only creates a list of applications. The file is small and can be copied easily to another computer.

See: http://www.ubuntugeek.com/clone-your-ubuntu-installation.html
http://sidux.com/PNphpBB2-viewtopic-t-2853.html

This is the opposite of the remaster idea above which builds the distro from packages on your system. but packages change over the weeks and your disk becomes dated quickly. Some people don't mind using old (stable) packages and some people like the freshest. It is all about what works best for you. If you have a dialup connection then this approach would be best.

See: http://www.ubuntugeek.com/create-backup-of-all-installed-packages-using-aptoncd-in-ubuntu.html

Roy