Is there a way to simulate low bandwidth/high latency networks ?

Anjan Bacchu

Jul 3, 2015, 2:22:39 AM7/3/15
to gopro...@googlegroups.com
Hi There,

  It appears that goproxy is a cool piece of software.

1) high latency :  I'm assuming that I need to add a delay to each request/response.
2) low bandwidth : I'm assuming the same as above ?
3) packet loss : How do we simulate packet loss conditionis ?

thank you,

BR,
~A

Anjan Bacchu

Jul 3, 2015, 2:45:41 AM7/3/15
to gopro...@googlegroups.com
2) low bandwidth : I'm assuming the same as above ?
I probably should get the response from the http server and then, depending on the size of the response, add an appropriate delay ?

3) packet loss : How do we simulate packet loss conditions ?
Still don't know how to affect the packet loss. Thoughts ?

Thanks much for any comments and/or suggestions,
Hi There,

3) packet loss : How do we simulate packet loss conditions ?

thank you,

BR,
~A

Patrick Mézard

Jul 3, 2015, 3:20:02 AM7/3/15
to Anjan Bacchu, gopro...@googlegroups.com
I would not use goproxy to do that. You should look up for "network emulation" tools. I am sure mobile/networking people have designed plenty of tools to simulate these kind of networks.

--
Patrick Mezard

Anjan Bacchu

Jul 3, 2015, 4:11:14 AM7/3/15
to gopro...@googlegroups.com, anja...@gmail.com
  Thanks for the info.

I'm looking for a single tool for all the 3 requirements.

Can someone suggest a tool which can fulfill all the 3 requirements.

thanks again,

John Davenport

May 4, 2017, 6:42:58 AM5/4/17
to goproxy-dev
Hi, just came across this. For the record Hoverfly, which is built on top of goproxy and is intended for API Simulation, mocking and service virtualization tasks can do delays very easily. However, as goproxy is a http proxy packet loss (which is strictly a level 2 level problem) would be beyond it, but you could lose http responses using middleware.