value of gzipping results

Ian Smith

Jul 12, 2015, 1:50:16 PM7/12/15
to goph...@googlegroups.com
It was good to see @neelance and and @shurcooL at the gophercon in Denver!

At their suggestion, I decided to see what impact gzip content encoding would have on realistic pages that were produced by gopherjs.

I tested on three real pages from a large app, with the -m option specified to gopherjs.

t1: 81.4%
t2: 81.0%
t3: 81.1%

These are extremely close together!  My only explanation for that is that they all use github.com/seven5/seven5 as their toolkit, so perhaps the toolkit and its dependencies dominate the compression effects.

I think, though, it's fair to say that gzip compression on the output of gopherjs is worth a factor of 5.