Google TV - Latest release – Now on Sony

Les Vogel

Feb 3, 2012, 2:31:26 PM2/3/12
Important Features
• Honeycomb 3.2 (API Level 13)
• Chrome works faster
• Support for 3D content
• HLS works better
• Extensions to the Channel Listing Content Provdier
• Hardware Acceleration is turned on

Channel Listing Content Provider
- new column to ChannelListingContract, "DATA_SOURCE"  example "TMS"
- new contract for exposing lineups for each device, MediaDeviceContract

content://com.google.android.tv.provider/devices
 DEVICE_ID = "device_id";   // like Atsc01
 LINEUP_ID = "lineup_id";   // like TMS:OTA94043
 DEFAULT = "default";        // 0 or 1

Formal documentation should be up in a few days.

Hardware Acceleration
<application android:hardwareAccelerated="true" ...>
and all it’s kin now works.

This platform change has caused a few apps to misbehave.  Please re-test your apps on this release.  (We’ve also updated the M4’s aka if you have one of those).

How do I have two apk’s?
(One that runs on hardware that hasn’t yet updated, and one that runs on the new hardware - if needed)

The new APK should have:
<uses-sdk android:minSdkVersion="13"  android:targetSdkVersion="13" />

Market will be able to accept multiple apk’s, and deliver the right one to your tv.

--
Developer Programs Engineer - GoogleTV

Please send questions to the list and only use my email address for things that require privacy such as source code or APK's.   We also answer questions on StackOverflow.com  #Google-TV

Darrel Herbst

Mar 7, 2012, 7:54:49 PM3/7/12
to googletv...@googlegroups.com
Two questions, please -

Are there any devices other than the Revue which do not have this latest update?

Can we always assume the user can go into Settings | Check for updates to bring their device up to this latest version?

Les Vogel

Mar 7, 2012, 10:12:05 PM3/7/12
to googletv...@googlegroups.com
1. No
2. Generally true if it's available.

Les
--
Staff Developer Programs Engineer - GoogleTV

James Purser

Mar 7, 2012, 10:20:19 PM3/7/12
to googletv...@googlegroups.com
Okay, next questions,

Will this version be made available for the Revue?

Yossie

Mar 9, 2012, 1:13:01 PM3/9/12
to googletv...@googlegroups.com
Yes. Eventually...