Unable to get local provider list on giving US Zip codes

mmj

Sep 29, 2011, 10:07:29 AM9/29/11
to googletv...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Google TV emulator setup is ready in my machine.It reached successfully till the screen asking for zip code entry.
I am from India,as Indian zip codes doesn't work with Google TV emulator,i gave US zip codes.
But nothing worked.It gave the message "Cannot find any provider from your zip code".Screen-shot for the same is attached.
I have tried giving various US zip codes,but nothing worked.
Am i lacking something in the network connectivity?I have also attached screen-shot for 'Network Details' from 'Settings' app.
But the IP displayed in that is wrong.Is there a way i can configure network settings for my Google TV emulator?
Please find the attached screen-shots.
Please clarify where I am blocked with.
It would be great if you can suggest few working zip codes which works fine in emulator.

Thanks in advance
Screenshot.png
Screenshot-2.png

James Purser

Sep 30, 2011, 12:04:21 AM9/30/11
to googletv...@googlegroups.com

I believe the live tv simulator is only good for us postcodes.

mmj

Sep 30, 2011, 2:14:04 AM9/30/11
to googletv...@googlegroups.com
I was using US Zip codes only. Could you please suggest few US zip codes which you have tried in emulator?

Tobias Eisentrager

Sep 30, 2011, 1:05:05 AM9/30/11
to googletv...@googlegroups.com

Well he said that he was providing valid us zip codes.

May, Are you able to browse the Internet inside the emulator?

mmj

Sep 30, 2011, 9:08:13 AM9/30/11
to googletv...@googlegroups.com
Tony,have you tried launching Google TV Emulator?
I am not able to find chrome browser itself!!!
Can't even test the internet connectivity.Moreover couldn't find a place to configure network settings(proxy settings).
If anyone has tried out all these please guide.

Les Vogel

Sep 30, 2011, 11:18:09 AM9/30/11
to googletv...@googlegroups.com
94043

--
Les Vogel
Developer Programs Engineer - GoogleTV

It's best if you send questions to the list and only use my email address for things that require privacy such as source code or APK's.  If you aren't already a member of a list, I suggest you join https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/googletv-android and email googletv...@googlegroups.com

mmj

Sep 30, 2011, 12:10:34 PM9/30/11
to googletv...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Les..Shall try with this zip code. But could you please tell me how to configure network settings in the emulator.
How can i connect it to internet.Couldn't find the option for the same in Settings.

Les Vogel

Sep 30, 2011, 1:22:47 PM9/30/11
to googletv...@googlegroups.com

1)  To get the TMS data (channels), you'll need to have networking first.  Otherwise it doesn't exist.

2)  You might be able to set up a proxy on your local machine for it to use, but beyond that, we don't yet support that feature.

On Fri, Sep 30, 2011 at 9:10 AM, mmj <may.m...@gmail.com> wrote:
Thanks Les..Shall try with this zip code. But could you please tell me how to configure network settings in the emulator.
How can i connect it to internet.Couldn't find the option for the same in Settings.

mmj

Sep 30, 2011, 1:45:40 PM9/30/11
to googletv...@googlegroups.com
My local machine is network enabled.But how can i make my emulator to access the same network.
Do i need to do some network settings in emulator?Please clarify.

Paul (Google)

Sep 30, 2011, 6:04:08 PM9/30/11
to googletv...@googlegroups.com
You can control the network settings by including specific parameters when you run the emulator.  These parameters are described at:

HTTP proxy settings are available.

I hope this helps!

Paul S.

On Fri, Sep 30, 2011 at 10:45 AM, mmj <may.m...@gmail.com> wrote:
My local machine is network enabled.But how can i make my emulator to access the same network.
Do i need to do some network settings in emulator?Please clarify.

--
Developer Programs Engineer
Google Inc.

mmj

Oct 1, 2011, 2:38:42 PM10/1/11
to googletv...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Paul.
I have tried adding proxy parameters while launching the emulator.Here is the command i tried:
$emulator -avd <avd-name> -dns-server <server> -http-proxy <proxy>
But Network Status in the emulator is still showing "Internet not connected".
Do i need to set any more parameters apart from these?

Paul (Google)

Oct 2, 2011, 6:05:46 PM10/2/11
to googletv...@googlegroups.com
No additional parameters that I'm aware of.  Could you capture the logcat output while the emulator is initializing?  It would also be helpful to have the logcat output from a tablet emulator where the network works.  In particular, I'm looking for the output for the following log tags:

ConnectivityService
EthernetConfiguration
EthernetStateMachine

Thanks!

Paul S.

mmj

Oct 3, 2011, 1:24:27 PM10/3/11
to googletv...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Les and Paul..!! My emulator is accepting zip codes and giving me channel providers as well as channel lists.
But on selecting the channel,i am only getting a TV screen with colour pattern,displaying channel number and channel name at the bottom. !!! Is that the expected behaviour? I was expecting actual TV signal,the real broadcasted data to be displayed on the TV screen.
Will i be getting the actual TV signal on my emulator?

Les Vogel

Oct 3, 2011, 2:18:01 PM10/3/11
to googletv...@googlegroups.com
Yes -it's expected.  No actual TV on Emulator.

mmj

Oct 3, 2011, 2:59:30 PM10/3/11
to googletv...@googlegroups.com
OK..Good.. Thanks a lot !!

Eric Johnson

Feb 7, 2012, 6:15:04 AM2/7/12
to googletv...@googlegroups.com
mmj:

I know a while has passed, but it seems your problem was solved. I just cannot figure out from the discussion thread what exactly fixed it.

Was it the zip code you used?

I've checked my Internet connection from within the emulator, and it says I am connected, so I think I'm OK there. But I still get "Cannot find any provider for you ZIP code." I'm also using a valid US zip code.

Thanks,
Eric

may maria

Feb 17, 2012, 8:10:18 AM2/17/12
to googletv...@googlegroups.com
Eric,

The Google TV emulator didn't work for us through proxy enabled Internet connection.And it worked with a direct connection only. And we used Zip codes 94041 and 94043.

Eric Johnson

Mar 2, 2012, 10:44:54 PM3/2/12
to googletv...@googlegroups.com
May Maria,

Well that was strange. I swear I didn't change a thing, but I just tried it again, now, and I see a whole set of channel listing services including my own, Verizon, using my own zip code, 19301. I changed NOTHING. Ugh.

Now the new dialog I get is Verify channel, did your device tune to channel 31?. I am guessing I should say yes, despite seeing the test pattern (I'm not currently connected to a signal). Now I'm tempted to try connecting my cable HDMI out to my computer's HDMI port as well.

If nothing else your email has brought me luck. If you can share any other insights I would greatly appreciate that. Looks like I'm on my way.

Thanks,
Eric