Get the list of tv apps from the google tv device

droid_stricken

Jan 5, 2012, 1:53:36 AM1/5/12
to Google TV Android Forum
I am a newbie to the concept of internet TV in general and google-tv
experience in specific. I am yet to buy a revue :)

Anyways, i was wondering if i can get a list of all the apps that are
installed on a google tv device? I want to show this list on my
android or iphone.

In general, is there a way to query the google tv device about it's
contents?

If yes, where do i start? Do i need to install the google-tv addon and
will there be APIs there for me to get this list? Also, i do not see
the google-tv addon for anything other than the honeycomb OS version.
Am i right?

Thanks all.

Les Vogel

Jan 5, 2012, 1:44:52 PM1/5/12
to googletv...@googlegroups.com
It's easiest to purchase a Revue.

Google TV addon on a linux box will work.  (Lots of caveats)

d.android.com for info about finding a list of your installed apps.
Use pairing protocol.  developers.google.com/tv/remote to connect the two devices up.

That's a good starting point, come to one of the hangouts (Wednesdays at 1pm Pacific time) and ask questions when you get stuck.

Les
--
Developer Programs Engineer - GoogleTV

Please send questions to the list and only use my email address for things that require privacy such as source code or APK's.   We also answer questions on StackOverflow.com  #Google-TV

Bhavya Vanaja

Jan 5, 2012, 1:49:00 PM1/5/12
to googletv...@googlegroups.com
You should be able to get a list of installed apps by using PackageManager API.
Sample snippet below.

 final PackageManager pm = getPackageManager();

   //List of installed apps

 List<ApplicationInfo> packages = pm.getInstalledApplications(PackageManager.GET_META_DATA);

    for (ApplicationInfo packageInfo : packages) {

       Log.d("LOG", "Installed apps :" + packageInfo.packageName);

  }

Thanks!
-Bhavya

droid_stricken

Jan 5, 2012, 2:24:06 PM1/5/12
to Google TV Android Forum
Thanks all.
This sample code has to get executed on the Google-TV device and the
resulting List<ApplicationInfo> object has to be shown on the remote
device that is querying for this information [after getting paired
with the google-tv device]. Is such a thing possible? Does Google-TV
allow such transfer of information as is or do i also have to write a
program that runs on Google-TV device to make such queries possible.
This is the part i am confused about developing a remote app for
Google TV.

Thanks again.

On Jan 5, 12:49 pm, Bhavya Vanaja <bhav...@google.com> wrote:
> You should be able to get a list of installed apps by using PackageManager
> API.<http://developer.android.com/reference/android/content/pm/PackageMana...>
> Sample snippet below.
>
>  final PackageManager pm = getPackageManager();
>
>    //List of installed* apps*
>
>  List<ApplicationInfo> packages = pm
> .getInstalledApplications(PackageManager.GET_META_DATA);

Les Vogel

Jan 5, 2012, 2:28:16 PM1/5/12
to googletv...@googlegroups.com
It's not easy, but once you've pair'd, you can figure out how to open a bi-directional conversation.

Les

droid_stricken

Jan 5, 2012, 2:36:24 PM1/5/12
to Google TV Android Forum
Thanks Les. Opening bi-directional conversation is understandable. I
am trying to estimate the effort of the project. If i have to develop
a corresponding app/service hosted on the google-tv in addition to
developing the remote app, then it would be useful to know ahead of
time. I guess i can take a look at the APIs that the google-tv
exposes. Is anyone aware of any APIs that the google-tv addon exposes
or does it even have such a set of APIs? Thanks.
> Les Vogel <https://plus.google.com/u/1/107226127526541403399>
> Developer Programs Engineer - GoogleTV
> lesv@ <l...@google.com>*G**oogl**e*.com <http://code.google.com/>
>
> Getting Started on Google TV <http://developers.google.com/tv>  Sample
> Code<http://code.google.com/p/googletv-android-samples/>
>   LeftNavBar<http://code.google.com/p/googletv-android-samples/source/browse/>
>   Google TV Video Player <http://code.google.com/p/googletv-video-player/>
> Android <http://d.android.com>
>
> Please send questions to the
> list<https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/googletv-android>and only

Les Vogel

Jan 5, 2012, 2:58:52 PM1/5/12
to googletv...@googlegroups.com
You could do something w/ c2dm, but it seems like a bit of overhead for this kind of thing.  I'm saying you'll want to have an App on both the TV & phone/tablet.

Take a look at Able Remote.

Les
Developer Programs Engineer - GoogleTV
Please send questions to the list and only use my email address for things that require privacy such as source code or APK's.   We also answer questions on StackOverflow.com  #Google-TV

droid_stricken

Jan 5, 2012, 3:11:18 PM1/5/12
to Google TV Android Forum
Nice. Thanks Les and all for clearing up some basics for me.
Appreciate it.