stop_desc in stops.txt

stadigita...@gmail.com

Sep 15, 2017, 7:35:11 PM9/15/17
to GoogleTransitDataFeed
Hello All,

New to GTFS. I manage our agency's website, and got tied into it as our website was being redeveloped and how to upload our feed for Google to scrape. Now I am getting further and further into it with our IT guy, Joseph, who manages it.

We are on the brink of blowing up our GTFS feed and what shows up there and the data that links to it.

To that end, I was wondering why hardly anybody seems to use STOP_DESC in their file? I can imagine amazing uses for this, and have been looking for other agencies in TRANSITFEEDS for agencies that utilize this field. Few and EXTREMELY far between.

If anyone knows why it is rarely used, please tell me.

If anyone knows of an agency that utilizes it at all - but especially in a ROBUST way - please share it with me.

Thanks,

Joshua

Joachim Pfeiffer

Sep 15, 2017, 7:41:22 PM9/15/17
to googletran...@googlegroups.com
Many agencies drive their GTFS exports from scheduling systems which support stop ID, stop code, short names and long names. Stop descriptions (good for publication) are rare in my experience. BART maintains stop descriptions as URL to BART station web pages, also Oahu Transportation IIRC.