Having difficulties with fares

Danny McCaslin

Dec 5, 2011, 3:48:59 PM12/5/11
to Google Transit Trip Planner
I am having difficulties with the fares with my transit and am trying
to figure out the easiest way to write the document. There are four
zones; zones 2 and 3 are counties, zone 1 is a city within zone 2, and
zone 4 is a city within zone 3. At first, I thought I could just use
contains_id to show price changes (fares are $2.00 for base fare, with
$0.50 added with each new zone), but I've hit a snag. My transit
charges every time you cross a zone line, not just for each zone.
(Here is a link to the fare rules: http://www.pantran.com/fares.cfm.
So, you could travel from zone 3, through zone 2, through zone 1, and
back into another part of zone 2 and you would actually be charged
$3.50, whereas using a contains_id with zones 1,2, and 3 would only
charge $3.00.

I'm at a loss for how I can make this work, other than asking my
contract to change their fare rules. Any ideas?

Marcy

Dec 6, 2011, 4:30:56 PM12/6/11
to google...@googlegroups.com
Danny

You have some very flexible fare options with GTFS so let's see if we can solve your mystery.

Have you considered taking your fare chart that you posted http://www.pantran.com/fares.cfm
and using the stops, by city that are depicted in that chart to build the total fare for the trip without concern if it passes twice over a zone line.  Isn't that how the rider expects to pay for the trip?

Would love to know if a focus on the origin & destination pairs might work for Pantran

Marcy

Danny McCaslin

Dec 7, 2011, 11:09:12 AM12/7/11
to Google Transit Trip Planner
Thanks for your reply, Marcy.

It would work, sure. I could set all pricing stop to stop, but that's
40 stations, each with a station-to-station, which comes out to 1,600
stop-to-stop lines of code, plus recalculating any time they change
zones and changing each line, plus for every stop x stops they add in
the future, we have to add 40x lines of code. Not only is that the
long way around, but in a few years when someone else is editing this
they're going to have a ton of code to go through. So while what
you're suggesting is possible, I'm hoping for a more elegant solution.