GTFS Vs SIRI

Catrina

Apr 30, 2012, 11:21:35 PM4/30/12
to Google Transit Trip Planner
Hello,

Can someone eplain to me whether these are alternative approaches to
implementing Real Time capabilities or whether they work hand in hand?

Thanks

JP

May 15, 2012, 9:34:21 AM5/15/12
to Google Transit Trip Planner
Catrina,
There is a group dedicated to such questions, transit developers:
http://groups.google.com/group/transit-developers
I think you'll be able to get more opinions/advise than just mine.

In conceptual terms, GTFS and SIRI are complementary. GTFS is for pre-
defined schedule and network data. This is where stops including stop
names and coordinates, routes and the timetable data such as stop
times go. GTFS defines a set of files that hold that data.
There is a long tail of GTFS based transit data. The data released in
public is listed here:
http://code.google.com/p/googletransitdatafeed/wiki/PublicFeeds
I recommend you download a random feed and check it out.
GTFS documentation is here:
https://developers.google.com/transit/gtfs/reference
In a way, SIRI is a harder nut to crack. It's purpose is the exchange
on the operator-to-operator level. Off hand, I remember only one
public feed that's implemented in SIRI. Perhaps get in touch with
CUMTD about their decision making process; they first wanted to go
SIRI and then switched to a proprietary but open RESTful/XML format.
There's tons more to be said, but I want to leave it at that for time
being.
JP

Brian Ferris

May 15, 2012, 9:36:46 AM5/15/12
to google...@googlegroups.com
I'd also add that there is a real-time complement to GTFS called GTFS-realtime:

It's similar to SIRI in that its designed to exchange real-time transit information.

Thanks,
Brian

k...@permosol.de

May 16, 2012, 2:36:02 AM5/16/12
to google...@googlegroups.com

Hello,

SIRI is the european standard for transit data exchange. Herewith it is possible that different systems in europe can "talk" together. Background is that in the last 30 years each producer of real time passenger information systems built their own systems and could not work together or exchange data to products from other companies.

Siri is more than just real time passenger information which is just a small but usefull part of ITCS = Inter Modal Transit Control systems.

ITCS gives full control to all the things that happens on the way with just a few seconds relay. If you choose the right system and the right planning system you get the possibility to evaluate your timetables and correct them on the fly.

There ar planning systems on the market which are able to serve both interfaces GTFS and SIRI. You can take a look here: http://www.init-ka.de

Catrina <catrinabl...@gmail.com> hat am 1. Mai 2012 um 05:21 geschrieben:

JP

May 16, 2012, 10:17:49 AM5/16/12

On May 15, 11:36 pm, "k...@permosol.de" <k...@permosol.de> wrote:
> SIRI is the european standard for transit data exchange. Herewith it is
> possible that different systems in europe can "talk" together.

I have to say I haven't been in a position recently to closely follow
what's going on behind the scenes here, i.e. in how far systems of
different operators have actually been connected with SIRI to support
meaningful cooperation. Automatic management of transfer points (e.g.
bus to rail) come to mind as one prominent use case. Any examples out
there where this has been accomplished?

k...@permosol.de

May 18, 2012, 2:49:54 AM5/18/12
to google...@googlegroups.com

Yes, they did it in Bavaria in Germany where 4 huge transit organisations built up an area wide system with up to 400 bus companies with ca. 3500 busses in one ITCS system. They have a video here: http://www.init-ka.de/en/projects/Stadtverkehr_Bayern_eng.php

JP <joachim....@gmail.com> hat am 16. Mai 2012 um 16:17 geschrieben:

Joachim Pfeiffer

May 18, 2012, 10:38:41 AM5/18/12
to google...@googlegroups.com

And that's INIT only, or different vendors?

Catrina Bleicher

May 18, 2012, 8:28:24 PM5/18/12
to google...@googlegroups.com
are there many examples of these been done multi modal? - we have
trains buses and ferries that we want to integrate together.
--
Catrina Bleicher
0420 203271

FlyerD4001

May 20, 2012, 11:49:07 PM5/20/12
to google...@googlegroups.com
I know Trapeze ITS does support SIRI as well. Some other vendors can if an operator pushes for it. INIT is just at the forefront of using it because of their roots in Germany and SIRI being a derivative of the VDV standard in Germany.

On Thu, May 17, 2012 at 11:49 PM, k...@permosol.de <k...@permosol.de> wrote:

Yes, they did it in Bavaria in Germany where 4 huge transit organisations built up an area wide system with up to 400 bus companies with ca. 3500 busses in one ITCS system. They have a video here: http://www.init-ka.de/en/projects/Stadtverkehr_Bayern_eng.php

JP <joachim....@gmail.com> hat am 16. Mai 2012 um 16:17 geschrieben:

> On May 15, 11:36 pm, "k...@permosol.de" <k...@permosol.de> wrote:
> > SIRI is the european standard for transit data exchange. Herewith it is
> > possible that different systems in europe can "talk" together.
>
> I have to say I haven't been in a position recently to closely follow
> what's going on behind the scenes here, i.e. in how far systems of
> different operators have actually been connected with SIRI to support
> meaningful cooperation. Automatic management of transfer points (e.g.
> bus to rail) come to mind as one prominent use case. Any examples out
> there where this has been accomplished?

CHmsc

May 21, 2012, 2:19:58 AM5/21/12
to Google Transit Trip Planner
In Switzerland a VDV (similar to SIRI) based solution is used to
exchange real time information between all the connected public
transport companies (Trains, buses, tram, ship, gondola, etc.) . SBB
operates a data hub service (CUS) to exchange real time information
between all the companies. Currently the VDV453 services DFI and ANS.
The information are used for web On-Line services and customer real-
time information in the vehicles (monitor systems). According the
configured connection time etc. this system calculates the required
connection time (ANS service).

Our partners uses RBL solutions from companies like Trapeze, ATRON or
Gorba.

On 19 Mai, 01:28, Catrina Bleicher <catrinableicher...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> are there many examples of these been done multi modal? - we have
> trains buses and ferries that we want to integrate together.
>

> On Fri, May 18, 2012 at 4:49 PM, k...@permosol.de <k...@permosol.de> wrote:
> > Yes, they did it in Bavaria in Germany where 4 huge transit organisations
> > built up an area wide system with up to 400 bus companies with ca. 3500
> > busses in one ITCS system. They have a video here:
> >http://www.init-ka.de/en/projects/Stadtverkehr_Bayern_eng.php
>
> > JP <joachim.pfeif...@gmail.com> hat am 16. Mai 2012 um 16:17 geschrieben:
> catrinableicher...@gmail.com

k...@permosol.de

May 22, 2012, 5:08:46 AM5/22/12
to google...@googlegroups.com

As far as I know INIT was the first who offered a system for different clients. I think there are also smaller ones which operate a region (Brandenburg) with large distances and fewer people.

The German company HACON is offering an online information system which is used from the German Bundesbahn with millions of requests each day. They kan use SIRI and VDV standards from different clients but as far as I know it is more for passenger information than a control systen where you can get more out than just passenger information.

Joachim Pfeiffer <joachim....@gmail.com> hat am 18. Mai 2012 um 16:38 geschrieben:

> And that's INIT only, or different vendors?
>

> On Thu, May 17, 2012 at 11:49 PM, k...@permosol.de <k...@permosol.de> wrote:
>
> > **

k...@permosol.de

May 22, 2012, 5:21:48 AM5/22/12
to google...@googlegroups.com

Yes, it is no matter you can use trains, LightTrains, Subways, Trams, Busses and even more.

Catrina Bleicher <catrinabl...@gmail.com> hat am 19. Mai 2012 um 02:28 geschrieben: