Running test in VC++ 2017 reports missing gtest.cc

Andy Bouffard

May 2, 2019, 3:44:14 PM5/2/19
to Google C++ Testing Framework
I've created a unit test project in VC++ 2017 using the nuget package googletest-md 15.5.0.  When the project is built the test I have created shows up fine in test explorer but when run or debugged I get a message that the framework can't find the gtest.cc file.  Is that file strictly needed?  What is referencing it?

Locating source for 'p:\googletest\googletest\src\gtest.cc'. Checksum: MD5 {b6 c6 7f cb 35 95 aa 99 72 ea e 22 b0 cd 65 cb}
The file 'p:\googletest\googletest\src\gtest.cc' does not exist.
Looking in script documents for 'p:\googletest\googletest\src\gtest.cc'...
Looking in the Edit-and-Continue directory 'C:\ArcGIS\PS-Products\Aviation\AviationEngine\AviationEngineTest\enc_temp_folder\'...
The file with the matching checksum was not found in the Edit-and-Continue directory.
Looking in the projects for 'p:\googletest\googletest\src\gtest.cc'.
The file was not found in a project.
Searching for documents embedded in the symbol file.
An embedded document was not found.
The debug source files settings for the active solution indicate that the debugger will not ask the user to find the file: p:\googletest\googletest\src\gtest.cc.
The debugger could not locate the source file 'p:\googletest\googletest\src\gtest.cc'.

Thanks

--Andy

Gennadiy Civil

May 2, 2019, 6:02:11 PM5/2/19
to Andy Bouffard, Google C++ Testing Framework
Andy, just to clarify
The file https://github.com/google/googletest/blob/master/googletest/src/gtest.cc is most definitely needed as it is (one of the) main google test implementation files.

We can not comment on the NuGet package that you used , it is not produced or maintained by the googletest team.  Quick google search points to https://www.nuget.org/packages/googletest/

Hope this helps

--

---

Andy Bouffard

May 7, 2019, 2:24:23 PM5/7/19
to Google C++ Testing Framework
Thanks for the reply, Gennadly.

I discovered the cause of my issue.  A bug/exception in the code I was testing, when running under debug, triggered and in response I think VC++ wanted to load gtest.cc to help with the diagnostics.

Once I fixed my bug everything ran great.

--Andy