Multiverse 0.5 to be released next week

peter veentjer

Apr 7, 2010, 5:08:56 AM4/7/10
to multiverse
Next week I have a week off and hope to finish the 0.5 release.

It is going to contain:
- compiletime instrumentation, so you don't need to rely on a
javaaagent any more
- programmatic reference api: to make it easy for other java libraries
to integrate with multiverse without relying on the stm
implementation.
- getter/setter optimization by inlining the transaction if none is
available 8M writes per second and 80M reads per second are possible.
- explicit atomic operations on reference api: very fast calls. There
also is support for atomicCompareAndSet.
- transactions with only freshly created objects don't need to lock
are share the counter -> better performance
- support for quick release of locks
- inference optimal settings on transactions (readonly, automatic
readtracking and transaction size)
- more datastructures:
- transactionaltreemap
- transactionaltreeset
- transactionalreferencearray
- transactionalarraylist
- initial support for commuting operations (at the moment this is only
possible for the inc operation on the programmatic long but this is
sufficient for collection structures)
- many instrumentation performance improvements.

The big goal for the 0.6 release is initial support for durable
transactions. And of course more performance improvements, more
transactional datastructures (skiplist, hashtable), tracing (to see
what happens inside a transaction) and whatever makes me happy.