Google for Non-Profits Newsletter - October, 2010

Jay Boren

Nov 1, 2010, 7:49:23 PM11/1/10
to googlefornonprofits

Google for Non-Profits Newsletter - October, 2010

We hope you enjoy this month's update from the Google for Non-Profits team. A reminder that you can find and search all of the old newsletters and other emails sent to this list at the Google group site. Also, please be sure to join the googlefornonprofits-discuss group. This group offers an email forum for members to ask and answer questions about Google tools for non-profits.

--
Google Grants Mobile Ad Strategies
New Google Grants testimonial

--
Google Grants Mobile Ad Strategies - Mobile Internet usage is growing at a tremendous pace. By 2013 it’s expected that more people willaccess the Internet through mobile devices than with desktop computers. Using your Google Grants AdWords account, you can extend your reach and harness this growth to promote your organization.

--
New Google Grants testimonial - Natural Resources Defense Council shares their best practices learned during the Gulf oil crisis and shares their advice for effectively tracking brand awareness with a Google Grants AdWords account. Follow the link above to read more and submit your organization's story.

--
Using new visualizations to tell your story - Spreadsheet data can tell compelling stories when placed into charts and other visualizations. We’re excited to announce a new editor for charts in Google Docs, redesigned from the ground up as well as a set of new chart types. We’ve added annotated time-lines, organizational charts, gauges, our popular motion chart (which makes it easy to visualize data changing over time) and more to our chart types.

--
Google Apps Script support in Google Sites - Google Apps Scripts can save time by sending emails, scheduling calendar events and more with one click.

We recently announced on the Google Enterprise Blog that you can now create, edit, and launch Google Apps Scripts from any Google Site. For example, you can create a site to browse and sign up for training sessions. On a training site, you could have a “Register Now” button on each classes page that would automatically add users to the class roster, add the class to their Google Calendar, and email them to confirm enrollment.

--
Google Grants Workshop recordings now live - Videos from the Google Grants Workshop hosted in Mountain View, California on - are now live on our YouTube channel. The videos include sessions presented by Googlers and by Google grantees. Topics include AdWords strategies, grantee best practices, Google For Non-Profits products and much more.

Check out our channel to view sessions presented by Googlers and by your fellow grantees. You can dive into AdWords basicsoptimization strategies, best practices for tracking account performance, and much more. Additional videos highlight other Google for Non-Profits products, including YouTube for Non-ProfitsGoogle Earth Outreach, and other helpful tools for your non-profit.

--
Help keep your account safe with the Gmail security checklist - October was National Cyber Security Awareness month and a good time for a reminder about why hijackers do what they do and how you can protect your account. Check out the Online Security blog to learn about common hijacking techniques and security practices that will help you stay one step ahead of the bad guys. To help ensure your Gmail account is safe, take a minute to visit the Gmail help center and complete our new security checklist.

--
Tips & tricks: sharing Google Docs like a pro - Google Docs enables you to collaborate on your documents, spreadsheets, presentations, and drawings with as many, or as few, people as you’d like. We’ve explained our new sharing model before, but, in recognition of National Cyber Security Awareness month, we want to make sure you’re aware of your options for sharing your documents.

--
Getting the most out of Gmail - A great summary of making the most of Gmail features such as  Priority Inboxvoice and video chat, email attachments,  contextual gadgetskeyboard shortcuts and Gmail Labs

--
Website clinic: Call for submissions - Google's Search Quality team is hosting an online site clinic on the Webmaster Central Blog. The upcoming site clinic will focus on non-profit organizations and will allow webmasters to learn by example. To register your site for the clinic, please review the guidelines on our Google Grants Blog and fill out the requested information on this form. The Search Quality team will determine trends and share corresponding best practices with participants. Please note that by submitting your site, you permit the team to use your site as an example in follow-up clinic posts.

--
Resource round-up for October - This month's round-up covers topics like: maximize year-end giving, social media explained and how non-profit websites have evolved.

--
That's it for this month's newsletter. As always, please send any suggestions for the newsletter or Google for Non-Profits site our way.

Have a great rest of the week!

Jay from the Google for Non-Profits team