Google for Nonprofits Newsletter

Leslie Hernandez

Mar 14, 2013, 4:28:09 PM3/14/13
to googlefor...@googlegroups.com

clickable image
Google for Nonprofits Newsletter 2013
March 14, 2013
In this issue
By the way
What's new
Tools in action
Expert corner
Connect

By the way TOP

Love Google Apps? This February, we shared expert information on how to enhance your labor of love by utilizing Google Apps. Check out our Hangout on Air and Ask an Expert section below to learn how you can make Google Apps for Nonprofit work for you. You can also learn how No Worries Now, a nonprofit based in Southern California, uses Google Apps to help teens around the US with terminal illness spend an evening at their very own prom.  Finally, share the love by sharing your own Google Apps tips on the Google for Nonprofits Google+ page.

What's newTOP
image

Fireside Hangouts: First Lady Michelle Obama hosts Google+ Hangout to discuss Let’s Move!
In the past few months, both the President and Vice President of the United States have come to Google+ to participate in "Fireside Hangouts" to discuss the challenges the country faces and answer people's questions. On March 4, First Lady Michelle Obama's turn joined her first-ever Fireside Hangout to discuss Let’s Move!, her initiative to ensure that all our children grow up healthy and reach their full potential. See the recording here.

image

The Chromebook Pixel, for what’s next
Google recently announced our newest laptop—the Chromebook Pixel—which brings together the best in hardware, software and design to inspire the next generation of Chromebooks. With the Pixel, we set out to rethink all elements of a computer in order to design the best laptop possible, especially for power users who have fully embraced the cloud. The philosophy of Chrome has always been to minimize the “chrome” of the browser. In much the same way, the goal of the Pixel is to make the pixels disappear, giving people the best web experience. The Pixel and its contemporary netbooks enhance our experience of online applications and raise the question for you and your nonprofit: what can you accomplish without installed software?

image

Safer Internet Day: How we help you stay secure online
Protecting our users is one of our top priorities at Google. We just updated Good to Know, our biggest-ever consumer education campaign focused on making the web a safer, more comfortable place to include more tips and advice to help you protect yourself and your nonprofit from identity theft, scams and online fraud. You can also learn how to make your computer or mobile device more secure, protecting your valuable and sensitive program data and get more out of the web—from searching more effectively to making calls from your computer.

Tools in actionTOP
image

We caught up with Marta Belcher, Executive Director at No Worries Now to hear how they’re utilizing Google apps to connect as their organization grows.

“At No Worries Now, we organize proms for teens with life-threatening and terminal illnesses who may not live long enough to attend their own proms. Google Docs came out the same year that we held our first prom, and since then we have increasingly utilized Google Docs (and now Google Drive) to connect and share as our nonprofit has grown to include programs in Los Angeles, San Francisco, San Diego, Sacramento, and Washington D.C. We use Google Drive at every stage of our event planning, from brainstorming ideas for prom themes and locations, to keeping track of to-do lists, to putting together the invitation, to sending out a Google Form to collect RSVPs, to organizing volunteers through Google Spreadsheets. We use Google Drive every day to give every teen a chance to dance.”
Expert corner TOP
image

This month we caught up with Asha Toulmin, Sales Agency Development, Google to learn all about apps and what they can do for you.

Q. What do you think is the biggest value to nonprofits in using Google Apps for Nonprofits?
A. Once you get to know Google Apps you can save time on admin related work and focus on championing your organization’s values. For example, I worked with one nonprofit client who switched to Gmail. Their Director of Marketing couldn’t believe that now she can search for an email from two years ago, find it and forward it to the right person within five minutes, all from her mobile phone. The more you get to know Google Apps, the more shortcuts you will find to do what you do more efficiently and make time for the work that matters.

Q. What is an expert tip you can share to help nonprofits get the most out of Google for Nonprofits?
A. The Labs tab in your Gmail settings helps you discover different tools that will take your emailing above and beyond.  For example, one Lab called “Undo send” lets you rescind an email immediately after sending. Another tip is “Inserting Images,” which lets you insert different images directly into an email (perfect for sharing photos, charts, etc).

Q. Can you please tell us about a new feature or update for Google for Nonprofits that excites you?
A. A couple of months ago we launched a trial for an update where you can see search results across Google Apps. So when you input something into Google Search you can see results from your email and calendar. Similarly, when you search for something in Gmail, you will also be able to see any calendar events and docs that also relate to that search term. Imagine needing to find information about a past event and seeing all calendar events, Google documents and emails about it from the same search.

Q. If you could get all nonprofits to use one Google product tomorrow, which one would you choose and why?
A. I would choose Gmail. I think once you make the step to Gmail it’s easier to bridge to Google Calendar and Google Docs. It’s also a main way of communicating with almost any stakeholder related to your non-profit. Through Gmail you can create newsletters, reports, email signatures, custom recipient lists and more.

ConnectTOP
Share your story! Have you had a great experience with a Google product that you'd like to share?
Tell us about it.
Submit feedback
View the archives
Help center
Join our discussion group
If someone sent you this email and you’d like to join our mailing list, click here.
Reach more donors | Improve operations | Raise awareness
Make a change: google.com/nonprofits
2013 Google Inc. All Rights Reserved. Google and the Google logo are trademarks of Google Inc. www.google.com
1600 Amphitheatre Parkway, Mountain View, CA 94043