Google for Non-Profits Newsletter - February, 2011

Jay Boren

Feb 28, 2011, 6:14:20 PM2/28/11
to googlefornonprofits

Google for Non-Profits Newsletter - September, 2010

We hope you enjoy this month's update from the Google for Non-Profits team. A reminder that you can find and search all of the old newsletters and other emails sent to this list at the Google group site. Also, please be sure to join the googlefornonprofits-discuss group. This group offers an email forum for members to ask and answer questions about Google tools for non-profits.

--
Come celebrate International Women’s Day with us
Google Online Marketing Challenge

--
Come celebrate International Women’s Day with us!

On March 8, join us on a bridge to celebrate the 100th anniversary of International Women’s Day! This year, Google is partnering with Women for Women to celebrate the 100th Anniversary of International Women’s Day on March 8.  We invite nonprofits around the world to take part by joining us on a bridge -- either physically or virtually, through Street View. Use the event map to organize your own event, or find and join an existing event. There will be flagship events in London (Millennium Bridge), NYC (Brooklyn Bridge) and San Francisco (Golden Gate Bridge), and if you do plan to organize an event please see the toolkit for all the information and materials you might need.

--
Google Online Marketing Challenge
For the first time ever, the Google for Nonprofits team is collaborating with the Google Online Marketing Challenge to encourage students to help NGOs during the Challenge, by introducing the NGO Impact Award. The Challenge allows student teams from across the world to receive US$200 of free online advertising with Google AdWords and then work with local businesses or NGOs to create effective online marketing campaigns. Google.org will make a donation in the name of the top three winning student teams to their nonprofit partner.

--
Visit us at NTC
Hoping to connect with Google product experts for training and insight into what’s new from Google for Nonprofits? Join us at the Nonprofit Technology Conference in Washington, D.C. March 17-19th! Registration is now open.

--
New spin on tech support
Just in time for the holidays, we unveiled TeachParentsTech.org, a site that allows "kids" of all ages to send tech support care packages to mom or dad.  These "care packages" can include any combination of a possible 53 how-to videos -- ranging from how to copy & paste to how to share a big file. Check out the announcement for more info and to get started.

--
Announcing the 2011 Nonprofit Video Awards on YouTube
For the second year in a row, YouTube is teaming up with See3 Communications to present the DoGooder Nonprofit Video Awards, a celebration of the best non-profit video on the site. We’ll award prizes like $2500 grants from the Case Foundation, Flip Cams, and a spotlight on the YouTube homepage to small, medium and large organizations, plus a special award for the “Best Thrifty Video.” Enter at youtube.com/nonprofitvideoawards before March 2.

--
Desktop notifications for emails and chat messages
Many of us are guilty of constantly switching back to Gmail to check for new messages. And if you’re like me, you’ve probably missed an important chat message because you weren’t looking at your Gmail window when it came in. If you use Google Chrome, these days can be over since we just launched HTML5 desktop notifications which display pop-ups whenever a chat message or new email arrives.

--
Tips for creating a free business listing in Google Places

This blog post discusses how to choose the best fitting categories for your business listing in Google Places as well as how to provide a useful description. In case you missed the first two blog posts, you can find here the first post about business titles and here the second part about business types.

--
Using Webmaster Tools like an SEO
Follow this link for an informative introductory video covering the basics of how to get the most from Google’s Webmaster Central and help improve the usability and effectiveness of your website.

--
A new look at Google Translate for Android
As of January 12th, we’ve refreshed Translate for Android with several updates to make the app easier to interact with. Among other improvements, we’ve created better dropdown boxes to help select the languages you want to translate from and into, an improved input box, and cleaner icons and layout.

--
That's it for this month's newsletter. As always, please send any suggestions for the newsletter or Google for Non-Profits site our way.

Have a great rest of the week!

Jay from the Google for Non-Profits team