Google for Nonprofits Newsletter - February 2012

Leslie Hernandez

Feb 29, 2012, 5:20:29 PM2/29/12
to googlefor...@googlegroups.com

Google for Nonprofits Newsletter - February 2012
February 29, 2012
In this issue
By the way
What's new
Tools in action
Expert corner
Connect

By the way TOP
Happy Leap Year everyone! We’ve got updates to share about YouTube, Doodle for Google and more. And as always, if you’d like to participate in our conversation with nonprofits and their supporters on Google+, you can add our Google+ page to your circles. Have a wonderful and productive March.
What's newTOP
image Doodle for Google Launches
You are probably familiar with Google's decorated "doodles" on our homepage. But did you know that for the last five years Google has invited students across the US to submit their own doodles for a chance to be featured on the Google homepage? The Doodle 4 Google contest encourages students to use their imagination and artistic talents to redesign Google's logo for millions to see. With little more than a month left in the contest, learn more about how your organization can help raise awareness of this opportunity.
image Google+ Inspiration for Nonprofits
Looking for Google+ inspiration for your nonprofit? We’ve created a circle with nonprofits that are doing some unique things on Google+. Check out what they’re doing on Google+ and get some ideas that you’re nonprofit can try out. And if you're doing something unique on Google+, tell us about it as a comment directly on our Google+ post and we can add you to the circle so other nonprofits can learn from you.
image YouTube Channel Updates
On March 7, 2012 all YouTube channels will be automatically migrated to the new channel design. This new look and feel makes it easier for viewers to to find and watch content. If you haven’t switched over to the new design, we encourage you to begin porting your channel before March 7th so you can make the necessary updates in your own time. To migrate, please visit http://youtube.com/t/channels and click “Try it now.” A full tutorial on how to take advantage of new channels can be found here.
image Public Alerts Now on Google Maps
Google Crisis Response recently launched Google Public Alerts, a platform designed to bring you relevant emergency alerts when and where you’re searching for them. With the launch of Public Alerts on Google Maps, relevant weather, public safety, and earthquake alerts from US National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA), the National Weather Service, and the US Geological Survey (USGS) will be accessible when you search on Google Maps. And if you have data you’d like to get included, contact us.
image 2012 Nonprofit Video Awards
Reminder! YouTube and See3 are once again teaming up to present the Nonprofit Video Awards, a celebration of the best nonprofit videos on YouTube. Winners will receive promotion on the YouTube homepage, as well as a cash prize to help them advance their video work. The deadline to enter is today February 29, 2012 and you must be a member of the YouTube Nonprofit Program at the time of judging, to enter. Full rules are available here.
Tools in actionTOP
image Nature Conservancy - Adopt an Acre
The Nature Conservancy is making it easier to  preserve areas we care about with their Adopt-an-Acre program. They’ve updated their mapping tool as the result of a Google Earth Outreach Developer Grant, which offers funding to organizations that create clever, cutting-edge applications using Google mapping technologies.

One of the solutions for widespread habitat loss is to acquire large plots of land for conservation. Since 1991, the Adopt-an-Acre program has protected more than 600,000 acres spanning from North America to Africa and Australia, even protecting offshore areas critical for delicate coral reefs and humpback breeding grounds. Learn more about how the Nature Conservancy is using Google Maps and Google Earth to help people choose which acre they want to adopt.
TOP
ConnectTOP
Share your story! Have you had a great experience with a Google product that you'd like to share?
Tell us about it.
Submit feedback
View the archives
Help center
Join our discussion group
If someone sent you this email and you’d like to join our mailing list, click here.
Reach more donors | Improve operations | Raise awareness
Make a change: google.com/nonprofits
2012 Google Inc. All Rights Reserved. Google and the Google logo are trademarks of Google Inc. www.google.com
1600 Amphitheatre Parkway, Mountain View, CA 94043