Google for Nonprofits Newsletter - November 2011

Leslie Hernandez

Dec 7, 2011, 4:35:37 PM12/7/11
to googlefor...@googlegroups.com

Google for Nonprofits Newsletter - November 2011
Your monthly round-up of the latest news and notes from Google for Nonprofits.
December 7, 2011

In this issue
By the way
What's new
Tools in action
Expert corner
Connect

By the way TOP
Greetings from the Google for Nonprofits team! We wanted to wait to send out the November newsletter until now because there were some very cool updates that we didn’t want you to miss! Read on for how you can create a Google+ Page for your nonprofit, updates from the Google for Nonprofits and Google Apps teams, and more.

Also, as we’re moving into 2012, we’re curious what you’re thinking for your organization next year. What new strategies will you use to engage donors, volunteers and supporters? Let us know on our Google for Nonprofits Google+ page.
What's new TOP
image
Google+ Pages Now Available for All Nonprofits
The Google+ team has introduced Google+ Pages - a new way to have customized conversations and interactions with your constituents - volunteers, donors, fans & more. With the launch of Google+ Pages, any cause, nonprofit or organization can now have a presence on Google+. We’ve compiled a few Google+ tips to help your create your Google+ profile, start posting, grow your circles, start a hangout, monitor the conversation and tell the world that your nonprofit is on Google+.

image
Fundraising Tips for Your Organization on Google+
We’ve seen nonprofit organizations doing great work on Google+ to reach new people and build relationships with their audiences. And since it’s peak fundraising season, we wanted to provide you with a “holiday gift” of tips on turning your new Google+ following into active contributors to your organizations this holiday season. We’ve created this booklet to help you turn Google+ followers into donors.

image
Google for Nonprofits Announces New Application & Account Management Features
We recently launched a series of new features to improve the process of applying for and managing a Google for Nonprofits membership account. Program members are now able to 1) switch the Google Account linked to their Google for Nonprofits application from a personal to an organization-wide Gmail account and 2) new account managers are able to request ownership of their organization's pre-existing membership account. Additionally, branches of an umbrella organization with a common EIN number can now apply individually. Learn more here.

image
Google Apps Launches New Updates
The last few weeks have brought a fresh new look in Gmail, more mobile access options and simpler meeting scheduling tools. We made it easier to find a good meeting time in Google Calendar. The suggested times feature automatically reviews the availability of meeting invitees, and proposes event times that work for the whole group. Additionally, organizations of all sizes around the world can now call our support hotline at any time for all core service issue. You can learn more about all of the new Google Apps updates here.

image
Tell Us How You Are Making a Change
With the launch of the Google for Nonprofits Program, we created a place for organizations to share stories of the powerful work they are doing to change the world. We are inspired by the stories we hear and we invite you to share your organization’s story with us via this webform. We would love to hear more about what you’re doing and we may even feature you on our Make a Change website.

Tools in action TOP
image
Pencils of Promise is a non-profit organization that aspires to deliver education to children across the globe. As one of the early examples on Google+, PoP launched a Global Change-Maker Campaign to highlight extraordinary students who are going above-and-beyond for the PoP movement. In addition to highlighting the work of these students, PoP has kept their page active with motivational quotes, engaging photos, and even Black Friday deals that support international education.

'On Google+, we wanted to cultivate a community, deepen follower engagement and drive traffic to our organization's website. Google+ is the perfect platform to build relationships with our followers. We're able to segment messages based on different circles we've created. We use Ripples to understand which messages resonate most with our audience as well as to identify influencers among our followers, who are re-sharing our posts regularly. Moving forward, we'll be using Hangouts for calls within the organization, to engage new interns and to further connect with our community.'

Carlo Dumandan, Director of Social Media, Pencils of Promise
Expert corner TOP
image
This month we caught up with Gopi Kallayil, Product Marketing Manager for Google+, to hear how nonprofit organizations can connect with followers on Google+.
Q: Why is Google+ important for nonprofits?
A: Nonprofit organizations work with so many different groups of people: volunteers, individual donors, funders, their boards, the general public, and more. Google+ helps nonprofits and causes engage with all these different groups of people in a customized way.

Q: What are some features in Google+ that nonprofits should know about?
A: There are a few benefits of Google+ that I’d like to call out specifically for nonprofits. First, Google+ Pages serve as your nonprofit’s online home on Google+ where you can share photos, success stories, volunteering and fundraising information, project locations, and more. Circles allow you to easily tailor content for a variety of audiences, such as volunteers or donors. This will make your messaging more relevant to your followers. By creating different Circles for each audience, you can coordinate diverse groups by location, interest, specialty, purpose and more. Finally, Hangouts let you set up real time high-quality video conversations with volunteers, donors, clients, and other followers with just a simple click. You can let your followers know when you’ll be hanging out and what topic you want to discuss.

Q: Can you share any cool stories of organizations using Google+?
A: There are so many great examples of nonprofit organizations on Google+. Pencils of Promise is using their Google+ Page to promote their Global Change-Maker Campaign, which is a chance to spotlight participants who have made a significant contribution to helping build new schools in the developing world. The Museo Nacional del Prado announces new museum exhibitions from their Page. Finally, the Monterey Bay Aquarium shares daily photos of wildlife and posts a weekly video series on their Google+ page.

Q: Do you have any tips for an organization that's just getting started with Google+?
The first thing you need to know is that you'll need to have a Google Account and a personal Google+ profile to create a Google+ Page. Once logged into your Google+ profile, on the right hand side of your stream, you will see "Create a Page" to begin creating your page. Learn more about creating your Google+ page and editing your profile. For more tips as you’re just getting started, the Google for Nonprofits team has created a checklist to help you get going and start using many Google+ features.

Q: Where can nonprofits go to find resources and support for Google+?
There are quite a few places where you can get additional help as you get your nonprofit up and running on Google+. If you’re looking for help creating your Google+ page or about Google+ in general, check out the Google+ Help Center. If you want to pose a question about Google+ Pages, head over to Google+ Page Discuss. And if you haven’t done so already, check out the Google for Nonprofits Google+ page. We’ll continue to provide relevant updates about how nonprofits are using Google+ directly on their page.
Connect TOP
Share your story! Have you had a great experience with a Google product that you'd like to share?
Tell us about it.
Submit feedback
View the archives
Help center
Join our discussion group
If someone sent you this email and you’d like to join our mailing list, click here.
Reach more donors | Improve operations | Raise awareness
Make a change: google.com/nonprofits
2011 Google Inc. All Rights Reserved. Google and the Google logo are trademarks of Google Inc. www.google.com
1600 Amphitheatre Parkway, Mountain View, CA 94043