Google for Nonprofits Newsletter - January 2013

Leslie Hernandez

Feb 1, 2013, 12:41:40 PM2/1/13
to googlefor...@googlegroups.com

clickable image
Google for Nonprofits Newsletter January 2013
February 1, 2013
In this issue
By the way
What's new
Tools in action
Expert corner
Connect

By the way TOP

The new year is a time to celebrate the impact your organization has made over the past 12 months and plan ahead for the next 12. This month’s newsletter focuses on tools, tips and tricks to help you start out 2013 right. And in case you didn’t see it, Doodle 4 Google 2013 is open for submission! So help us spread the word to eligible students throughout the US. And as always, you can get the latest from Google for Nonprofits on our Google+ page.

What's newTOP
image

A little help from Google on your New Year’s resolutions

Check out the blog for some of our best tips and tricks across Google to make 2013 the year you succeed with your goals. For example, keep up with current events by personalizing Google News and setting up Google Alerts to receive information on specific topics directly in your email. If your inbox is already on overload, try the Google Currents app for news on-the-go. You can also see New Year’s resolutions from around the globe. And you can add your own resolutions to the interactive resolution map on our 2012 Zeitgeist website.
image

Google+ Communities launches

Research shows it’s easier to keep resolutions when you share with a community. Now you can on Google+! Google+ Communities there’s now a gathering place for your passions, including:
  • Public or private membership to support all kinds of groups—from topics and interests to local neighborhoods to regular poker nights
  • Discussion categories to find the conversations you care about most
  • The option to start hangouts and plan events with community members
  • The ability to share with your community from any +1 button across the web
To give it a try just click on the new "Communities" icon, then create or join your favorite community, like nptech, a community devoted to social impact from nonprofits in technology.
image @GoogleGiving launches

Resolve to boost your giving strategy this year and see what others are doing in the giving space. Google recently launched a new G+ page, @GoogleGiving to discuss topics related to social entrepreneurs, tech for social good and philanthropy. Check out Google Giving's website and their newly announced Global Impact Awards. If you are passionate about making the world a better place, add them to your circles!
image

Responding to the severe flooding in Jakarta, Indonesia

The Google Crisis Response team has assembled a resource page to help track affected areas and provide updated emergency information for the millions affected by flooding in Jakarta. We also have a mobile page with emergency contact numbers and lists of shelters, and enhanced search results on google.co.id to provide information directly when people search.To share the page or embed these maps on your own site, click here.
Tools in actionTOP
image Tools for Peace has a mission to teach youth and adults practical methods to cultivate compassion, peace, and well-being through training in mindfulness and meditation. With 10 locations, they use Google tools, especially Google Sites, to stay connected to this mission while working in the field.

‘We have developed two "hubs" via Google Sites. One enables remote employees to collaborate, share, and keep track of program updates and resources. The other hub enables trained facilitators and teachers we work with in the field to connect to our materials and resources behind a registration wall. And all of our staff link their phones to Gmail and Google Calendar to get the team communicating more regularly and more efficiently.’
Claudia Linh, Program Director, Tools for Peace
Expert corner TOP
image This month we caught up with Leslie Hernandez Dinneen, Product Marketing Manager, Google.org to hear the latest and greatest in Google for Nonprofits.
Q. What do you think is the biggest value to nonprofits in using Google for Nonprofits?
A. One of my favorite parts about my job is being able to see all of the creative ways that nonprofits use our tools. Google for Nonprofits can help nonprofits get the word out about what they do. See how InvisiblePeople.tv raises awareness for the homeless population in the US through YouTube. Google for Nonprofits also provides innovative ways for organizations to deliver their services to new audiences. Check out how the Ghetto Film School is conducting MasterClasses via Google+ hangouts.

Q. What is an expert tip you can share to help nonprofits get the most out of Google for Nonprofits?
A. This year, we’re encouraging folks to go back to the basics, and really explore our core product offerings to make sure they’re getting the most out of Google. If you’re using Google Apps, work with your IT administrator to see about implementing Google+ for Google Apps. It’s a great way to hold meetings and collaborate on projects with folks at your organization, even if you’re located in different offices.

Q. Can you please tell us about a new feature or update for Google for Nonprofits that excites you?
A. We’re excited to share a new section of the Google for Nonprofits website called Online Tips, which is designed to help nonprofit organizations get even more out of Google for Nonprofits. It’s full of Google tools and examples of how real nonprofits are using those tools. I would highly recommend that you check that resource out and share it with others!

Q. If you could get all nonprofits to use one Google product tomorrow, which one would you choose and why?
A. That’s a tough question! There are so many cool tools that organizations are using in such creative ways. If your nonprofit isn’t using Google Analytics, I would strongly encourage you to install it. You can work with your webmaster or the main person who works on your website to install the code. You’ll get a ton of great data on how visitors are interacting with your site. We have this article to help you navigate Google Analytics. And we’re constantly hearing about new ways that nonprofits are using Google+. So if you have a social media strategy and your organization isn’t on Google+ yet, I would recommend that you check it out. Hangouts are person-to-person video chats which enable you to have up to 10-people in an online video chat at once. They’re a great way to meet people who are interested in your cause. You can also tailor your hangouts to specific audiences or specific topics that are relevant to your organization.
Connect TOP
Share your story! Have you had a great experience with a Google product that you'd like to share?
Tell us about it.
Submit feedback
View the archives
Help center
Join our discussion group
If someone sent you this email and you’d like to join our mailing list, click here.
Reach more donors | Improve operations | Raise awareness
Make a change: google.com/nonprofits
2013 Google Inc. All Rights Reserved. Google and the Google logo are trademarks of Google Inc. www.google.com
1600 Amphitheatre Parkway, Mountain View, CA 94043