Google for Nonprofits Newsletter - March 2012

Leslie Hernandez

Mar 30, 2012, 2:30:41 PM3/30/12
to googlefor...@googlegroups.com

Google for Nonprofits Newsletter - March 2012
March 30, 2012
In this issue
By the way
What's new
Tools in action
Expert corner
Connect

By the way TOP
Greetings from the Google for Nonprofits team. Spring is definitely in the air and we’ve got lots of new updates to share with you. Read on for more information about Google Earth Outreach, YouTube, the Google Cultural Institute and more. Additionally, the Google for Nonprofits team will be at NTEN’s Nonprofit Technology Conference April 2nd - 5th in San Francisco. If you’re attending, please stop by our booth, join our conference sessions and say hello. If you can’t attend in person, we’ll be posting updates from the conference and sharing resources from our trainings directly on our Google+ page. Have a wonderful April.
What's newTOP
image Updates to Google Earth Outreach website
There’s no better way to get inspired to create your game-changing map than hearing the stories of others who are using maps for good. To provide inspiration, we invite you to check out the Google Earth Outreach website which has a completely new look and feel. On the website, you'll be able to read stories from organizations who've successfully used Google Earth, Maps and SketchUp, learn how to create your own maps with the tutorials, learn what grants are available to you and find out where the Google Earth Outreach team will be next.
image YouTube Livestreaming Now Available for Nonprofits
The opportunity to live-stream is now available to all members of the YouTube Nonprofit Program. Nonprofits, from small to large, will now be able to engage live audiences in charity concerts, conferences, and other special events to raise awareness about their causes and drive donations in real-time. Learn more here.
image Explore Nelson Mandela’s Archives Online
Along with historians, educationalists, researchers, activists and many others around the world, you can access a wealth of information and knowledge about the life and legacy of this extraordinary African leader. The new online multimedia archive includes Mandela’s correspondence with family, comrades and friends, diaries written during his 27 years of imprisonment, and notes he made while leading the negotiations that ended apartheid in South Africa.
image YouTube Space Lab Global Winners Announced
Can you teach an old spider new tricks? Could better understanding alien superbugs cure diseases on Earth? These are the questions that will be asked by the two winning experiments of YouTube Space Lab, the science competition that challenged students from 14 to 18 years old to design a science experiment that could be performed in space. Learn more about the winners here.
image View Amazon Basin in Google Streetview
A few members of our Brazil and U.S. Street View and Google Earth Outreach teams were invited to the Amazon Basin by the the Amazonas Sustainable Foundation (FAS) to collect ground-level images of the rivers, forest and communities in the Rio Negro Reserve. Now those images available through the Street View feature on Google Maps. Check out some of the imagery here.
Tools in actionTOP
image UNICEF is an agency of the United Nations that defends the rights of children around the world. UNICEF leveraged the power of Google+ Hangouts to connect activists, bloggers, and students on important issues affecting the Democratic Republic of Congo, such as polio, child soldiers, and gender-based violence. The Hangout raised awareness and demonstrated the powerful work that is being done. Inspired by the Hangout, other agencies of the UN plan to host their own Hangouts in the near future.

"What better way to tell a global story of helping children than by connecting offices around the world, in different regions, and bringing stories together around a particular topic, in this case: Polio. For our online communities, we were able to provide an inside look into the lives and efforts of our dedicated colleagues spanning more than 12 time zones.  Not only were we able to harness the amazing efforts of Mia Farrow, UNICEF Goodwill Ambassador, but also demonstrate the commitment of colleagues in India, Pakistan, and the Democratic Republic of Congo.  And equally importantly, we were able to bring our community into the conversation and empower them to speak directly with UNICEF.  Bloggers, students, and youth activists from around the world had their questions answered and were able to participate in a dialogue of a global magnitude that beforehand was never possible. And let's not forget that Mia did this out of Congo which shows us that we will be able to include so many more countries in the future that have not been able  to fully participate in social and civic media initiatives."

Gerrit Beger, Chief, Social and Civic Media Section, Division of Communication, UNICEF
TOP
Connect TOP
Share your story! Have you had a great experience with a Google product that you'd like to share?
Tell us about it.
Submit feedback
View the archives
Help center
Join our discussion group
If someone sent you this email and you’d like to join our mailing list, click here.
Reach more donors | Improve operations | Raise awareness
Make a change: google.com/nonprofits
2012 Google Inc. All Rights Reserved. Google and the Google logo are trademarks of Google Inc. www.google.com
1600 Amphitheatre Parkway, Mountain View, CA 94043