Google for Nonprofits Newsletter - January 2012

64 Aufrufe
Direkt zur ersten ungelesenen Nachricht

Leslie Hernandez

ungelesen,
01.02.2012, 12:06:1401.02.12
an googlefor...@googlegroups.com

Google for Nonprofits Newsletter - January 2012
February 1, 2012
In this issue
By the way
What's new
Tools in action
Expert corner
Connect

By the way TOP
Happy New Year from the Google for Nonprofits team! We hope 2012 is off to a great start. We’ve got lots of updates to share including YouTube, Google Search, Google Earth and more.

We’ll also be hosting a Google+ Hangout on Using Google Analytics to Make Data-driven Decisions about your website on Wednesday, February 1st at 10:30am PST with Phil Mui and Elizabeth Mills from the Google Analytics team. If you have questions you’d like answered, add them as a comments on our Google for Nonprofits Google+ page. And, don’t forget to tune in directly on our Google+ page to hear the conversation!
What's newTOP
image
YouTube for Nonprofits launches new tutorials and features
We recently launched a few updates for the YouTube for Nonprofits program that we hope will help nonprofits use online video in new and compelling ways. The Playbook Guide: YouTube for Good is a how-to resource specifically for nonprofit organizations, with sections on how to create content, raise funds, connect with other community members and more. As part of our new Channels design, we’ve made the donate button on nonprofit channels even more prominent, making it easier than ever for people to support the causes they care about.

image Search plus Your World Launches
We recently launched Search plus Your World, with three new features to transform Google into a search engine that understands not only content, but also people and relationships. Personal Results, Profiles in Search and People and Pages enable you to have a richer, more personal search experience. For nonprofits, these new features provide new ways for people to find information about your organization from their friends and interact with you on Google+ directly from their search results. Learn more about Search plus Your World.
image Google Earth 6.2 Launches
With Google Earth 6.2, we’re bringing you the most beautiful Google Earth yet, with more seamless imagery and a new search interface. Additionally, we've introduced a feature that will allow you to share an image from your organization with volunteers and supporters on Google+ right from within Google Earth. Learn more about the new features in Google Earth 6.2.
image Google Science Fair 2012 Kicks Off
Along with our partners CERN, The LEGO Group, National Geographic and Scientific American, we recently launched the second annual Google Science Fair, the largest online science competition in the world, open globally to students ages 13-18. If your organization supports students in the sciences, be sure to encourage them to form a hypothesis and submit their project.
image YouTube Announces Nonprofit Video Awards
YouTube and See3 are once again teaming up to present the Nonprofit Video Awards, a celebration of the best nonprofit videos on the site. Winners will receive promotion on the YouTube homepage, as well as a cash prize to help them advance their video work. To learn more and enter, please visit www.youtube.com/nonprofitvideoawards. To enter, you must be a member of the YouTube Nonprofit Program.
Tools in actionTOP
image Nuru International is a social venture committed to ending extreme poverty in remote, rural areas by offering locally-led training in agriculture, personal finance, healthcare, water sanitation and education. Since they began working in Kuria, Kenya in September 2008, Nuru has made every effort to eliminate overhead costs so that funds raised equip people with tools and knowledge to lead their communities out of extreme poverty.

“We are a virtual organization with employees communicating across twelve time zones. Our strategic decision to forgo a central office in the US enables us to invest a greater percentage of our funding in our work in Kuria, Kenya. The array of tools that Google provides – specifically Gmail, Chat, Calendar, Google Docs and Sites – is integral to our work and success as a virtual organization. We love the ‘real-time’ nature of Google Docs and have used them to create dynamic meeting agendas with actionable follow up items, brainstorm web projects and fundraising campaigns, administrate internal staff surveys, maintain a shared communications calendar, create directories of our social media and fundraising sites and do so much more. Collaborating ‘face-to-face’ through Google Chat has facilitated close-knit working environment that our employees really value.”

Kim Do, Marketing & Mobilization Director, Nuru
Expert cornerTOP
image This month we caught up with Hunter Walk, Director of Product Management at YouTube, to hear how nonprofit organizations can take advantage of YouTube.
Q. Why is YouTube important for nonprofits?
A. YouTube has 800 million unique visitors a month and 4 billion views every day. That is the biggest and most engaged audience you’ll find in the world - wanting to be inspired, informed, and entertained. Nonprofits of all different shapes and sizes can use YouTube to access a large, global audience.

Q. What are some new features in YouTube that nonprofits should know about?
A. We launched the YouTube Nonprofit Program in 2007 to help organizations take their work to the next level. We’ve made a couple of updates to the program that we hope will help nonprofits use video in new and compelling ways:
  • The Playbook Guide: YouTube for GoodThis is a how-to resource specifically targeted at nonprofit organizations, with sections on how to create content, raise funds, connect with other community members and more.
  • Improved features. As part of our new Channels design, we’ve made the donate button on nonprofit channels even more prominent, making it easier than ever to support the causes you care about.
  • Nonprofit email support queue. Organizations in the Nonprofit Program can now email nonpr...@youtube.com with questions, and will find dedicated YouTube support staff ready to answer their queries.
Q. Can you share any cool stories of organizations using YouTube?
A. Save the Children teamed up with a popular YouTube creator, Shawn Ahmed, to help spread their message and provide on the ground resources to their community health workers in Bangladesh. Shawn's channel, The Uncultured Project, is dedicated to "using the power of the YouTube Community to help the poor.” With over 3 million views, Shawn and Save the Children have supported countless projects in Bangladesh and trained Bangladeshi community health workers how to video blog.

Q. Where can nonprofits go to find resources and support for YouTube?
A. To find resources, learn more and enroll in the YouTube Nonprofit Program, organizations can go to YouTube.com/nonprofits. For support, organizations enrolled in the program can now nonpr...@youtube.com with questions and will find dedicated YouTube support staff ready to answer their queries.
ConnectTOP
Share your story! Have you had a great experience with a Google product that you'd like to share?
Tell us about it.
Submit feedback
View the archives
Help center
Join our discussion group
If someone sent you this email and you’d like to join our mailing list, click here.
Reach more donors | Improve operations | Raise awareness
Make a change: google.com/nonprofits
2012 Google Inc. All Rights Reserved. Google and the Google logo are trademarks of Google Inc. www.google.com
1600 Amphitheatre Parkway, Mountain View, CA 94043
Allen antworten
Antwort an Autor
Weiterleiten
0 neue Nachrichten