Aaram Tamil

Tharique Azeez

Jul 9, 2015, 1:21:55 PM7/9/15
to googlefon...@googlegroups.com

Hi everyone,

I'd like to share the initial stage update of the new project, I've started to working on: Aaram Tamil - a font with pizzazz. I'll be sharing the files, and the test docs on Aaram's Github repo. I am creating this new thread to post updates on the development, and progress, and also get valuable feedback from you all. Here is the initial preview of it.

Thank you.

Best smile,
Tharique Azeez

Docendo discimus

Dave Crossland

Jul 9, 2015, 1:45:55 PM7/9/15
to googlefonts-discuss

I suggest removing the tail from the u, and carrying the y tail line further left

Pablo Impallari

Jul 9, 2015, 2:27:06 PM7/9/15
to googlefonts-discuss
It can work as a companion Tamil for Dosis (Although Dosis is a bit wider)

I suggest removing the tail from the u, and carrying the y tail line further left

Un Abrazo
Pablo Impallari

Dave Crossland

Jul 9, 2015, 4:55:11 PM7/9/15
On 9 July 2015 at 14:27, Pablo Impallari <impa...@gmail.com> wrote:
It can work as a companion Tamil for Dosis (Although Dosis is a bit wider)

The latin already exists, but yes I think Dosis is great reference material for Tharique to learn from :)

Tharique Azeez

Jul 9, 2015, 5:04:24 PM7/9/15

On 9 July 2015 at 18:45, Dave Crossland <da...@lab6.com> wrote:
I suggest removing the tail from the u, and carrying the y tail line further left

Thank you, Dave for the suggestion. Sure, I'll incorporate this changes, and I have some more ideas to simplify some glyphs too. :)

Tharique Azeez

Jul 9, 2015, 5:09:16 PM7/9/15

On 9 July 2015 at 21:54, 'Dave Crossland' via Google Fonts Discussions <googlefon...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
It can work as a companion Tamil for Dosis (Although Dosis is a bit wider)

The latin already exists, but yes I think Dosis is great reference material for Tharique to learn from :)

Thank you, Pablo for the hat tip. As Dave pointed out, I'll make sure to check the Dosis as the reference while I make progress with the Aaram.

Cheers.

Tharique Azeez

Jul 10, 2015, 6:37:37 PM7/10/15
to googlefon...@googlegroups.com
Today (10th of July)

- Integrated Dave's suggestions.
- Simplified few more Latin glyphs (g, a, t, f, v, w)
- Fixed some spacing issues
- Drew few Tamil glyphs (Na, Sa, Ssa, Ha, La, Va)

Tommorrow
- Simplify few Latin uppercase glyphs
- Draw few more Tamil consonants glyphs
- For FF --> Explore interpolation in FF

Cheers.

Tharique Azeez
Docendo discimus

Tharique Azeez

Jul 13, 2015, 5:05:59 PM7/13/15
to googlefon...@googlegroups.com
Today // 13th July

- Simplified few Latin uppercase glyphs (V,W, F)
- Finished drawing all the Tamil consonants
Inline images 1
Inline images 2

Tomorrow //
- Start to draw Tamil vowels
- Simplify asterisk, and dollar sign

Cheers.

Tharique Azeez
Docendo discimus

Tharique Azeez

Jul 14, 2015, 6:19:24 PM7/14/15
to googlefon...@googlegroups.com
Today // 14th July

- Started to draw Tamil vowels
Inline images 1
- Simplified * & $

Tomorrow //

- Redraw O, Oo & Au
- Complete the rest of Tamil Vowels
- Change the repo file tree to gh-pages

Cheers.

Tharique Azeez

Docendo discimus

Tharique Azeez

Jul 15, 2015, 4:49:16 PM7/15/15
to googlefon...@googlegroups.com
Today // 15th July

- Redrew O, Oo, and Au
- Completed Tamil vowel set
Inline images 1
- Merged repo master with gh-pages branch & set gh-p to default.

Tomorrow //

- Refine Tamil Vowel A, Aa, and I & Look on
- Start to draw Tamil vowel markers
- Fix RSB on E,Ee and other similar glyphs

Cheers.

Tharique Azeez

Docendo discimus

Tharique Azeez

Jul 16, 2015, 6:00:15 PM7/16/15
to googlefon...@googlegroups.com
Today // 16th July

- Refined A, Aa, and I
- Drew Tamil vowel markers
Inline images 1
Inline images 2

Tomorrow //

- Refine placements of Vowel markers
- Drew Alternate vowel markers (VowelI, and VowelIi) for some glyphs (Pa, Va, etc.)
- Start to draw Tamil combinant letters

Cheers.

Tharique Azeez
Docendo discimus

Tharique Azeez

Jul 17, 2015, 6:42:08 PM7/17/15
to googlefon...@googlegroups.com
Today // 17th July

- Drew alternative vowel markers and fix some placement issues.
- Drew few Tamil compound letters
Inline images 1
- Fixed some spacing, glyph names issues.

Tomorrow //

- Refine the VowelE and VowelEe markers
- Draw few more Tamil compound letters.
- Maybe, explore some alternative design for U, and Uu / simplify

Cheers.

Tharique Azeez

Docendo discimus

Tharique Azeez

Jul 19, 2015, 2:01:36 PM7/19/15
to googlefon...@googlegroups.com
Today // 19th July

- Drew some more Tamil compound letters
Inline images 1
- Refined E, Ee vowel markers

Tomorrow //

- Drew rest of the Tamil compound letters and complete

Cheers.

Tharique Azeez

Docendo discimus

Tharique Azeez

Jul 19, 2015, 2:59:05 PM7/19/15
to googlefon...@googlegroups.com
Oops. That's Draw* -- silly autocorrect. :)

Tharique Azeez

Jul 20, 2015, 5:16:23 PM7/20/15
to googlefon...@googlegroups.com
Today // 20th July

- Drew and completed the all Tamil compound letters
Inline images 1
Inline images 2
- Fixed some spacing

Tomorrow //

- Start to draw Tamil numerals
- Refine and harmonize the descenders of few Tamil compound letters

Cheers.

Tharique Azeez

Docendo discimus

Tharique Azeez

Jul 21, 2015, 7:13:42 PM7/21/15
to googlefon...@googlegroups.com
Today // 21st July

- Drew few Tamil numerals (few numerals glyphs left to draw).
Inline images 1
- Adjusted heights of vowel markers  Ee, E.
- Harmonize the descenders of Tamil compound letters.

## Flying to Sri Lanka. Will resume posting of updates on this thread, on Friday from there. :)

Friday // 24th July

- Draw and complete Tamil numerals
- Start to draw Tamil signs / symbols

Cheers.

Tharique Azeez

Docendo discimus

Pathum Egodawatta

Jul 22, 2015, 2:24:22 PM7/22/15
to Google Fonts Discussions, zee...@gmail.com
Hi Tharique!

I see UFO's in repo.. couldn't find your FDK build files in repo. You are using FDK to build right?

Tharique Azeez

Jul 24, 2015, 6:02:48 AM7/24/15
to googlefon...@googlegroups.com
Hi Pathum,

Since, I am in the design phase, I haven't started to work on features in this stage. Few more glyphs left to draw. For quick browser testing, I generate the font using FontForge.

I'll be using FDK syntax to make features, and compile with FontForge. Will add the files to repo, once I started to work on it.

Cheers.

Tharique Azeez
Visual Designer
Docendo discimus
---
♥ Save a tree. Don't print this E-Mail unless it's really necessary

Tharique Azeez

Jul 24, 2015, 4:38:58 PM7/24/15
to googlefon...@googlegroups.com
Today // 24th of July

- Drew and completed Tamil Numerals and symbols
Inline images 1
Inline images 2
- Fixed an issue with glyphs name

Tomorrow //

- Refine terminals of some glyphs.
- Examine and refine stem width of glyphs
- Redraw TtU and RU

Tharique Azeez

Docendo discimus

Tharique Azeez

Jul 27, 2015, 11:13:24 AM7/27/15
to googlefon...@googlegroups.com
Today // 27th July

- Redrew TtU, and  RU
- Fixed space issues and refined terminals
- Refined stem widths of glyphs
Inline images 1
Inline images 2

Tomorrow //

- Start to write the features
- Setup a test page

Tharique Azeez

Docendo discimus

Tharique Azeez

Jul 28, 2015, 3:52:17 PM7/28/15
to googlefon...@googlegroups.com
Today // 28th July

- Started to write the feature file for Aaram
- Made a test page for Aaram web testing (features not added yet) - http://enathu.github.io/aaram/

Tomorrow //

- Continue working on features
- Fix stem widths issues on some vowel glyphs and others
- Draw some alternative vowel markers for some glyphs

Tharique Azeez

Docendo discimus

Tharique Azeez

Jul 29, 2015, 8:36:12 PM7/29/15
to googlefon...@googlegroups.com
Today // 29th July

- Integrated features to the test page - http://enathu.github.io/aaram/ (Vowel marker Uu features not added yet)
- Added couple of features and positioning
- Fixed stem widths and spacing issues.

Tomorrow //

- Write VowelUu features and integrate to test page
- Draw alternative vowel markers for positioing

Tharique Azeez

Docendo discimus

Dave Crossland

Jul 29, 2015, 9:27:50 PM7/29/15
to googlefonts-discuss

Nice :) how did the meeting with Pathum go?

Tharique Azeez

Jul 30, 2015, 5:19:06 AM7/30/15
to googlefon...@googlegroups.com
Hi Dave,

Meeting went really great. I met with Pathum and other designers at Mooniak. Also, met Pushpa and Sumantri.

There was also a small meetup on discussing the state of Sinhala Typography. Interesting stuff. :)

Inline images 1

​Cheers.​

Tharique Azeez

Docendo discimus

On 30 July 2015 at 06:57, Dave Crossland <da...@lab6.com> wrote:

Nice :) how did the meeting with Pathum go?

Tharique Azeez

Jul 30, 2015, 1:11:03 PM7/30/15
to googlefon...@googlegroups.com
Today // 30th July

- Added VowelU&Uu compound glyphs plus features -

  All the features are added to the test page. http://enathu.github.io/aaram/ I'd like to have your valuable feedback on Aaram, please. :)

- Fixed issues related to stem width, positioning, and kerning.

Tomorrow //

- Fix VowelI, and VowelIi positioning on Ssa, and KSsa.
- Draw Latin symbols (delta, ohm, litre, and etc.)

Cheers.

Tharique Azeez

Docendo discimus

Dave Crossland

Jul 30, 2015, 7:23:45 PM7/30/15
to googlefonts-discuss
Hi!

I checked it quickly :)

- I think the f and t are too tall

- I think the backwards instroke on the d is ok, but the forward strokes on the b h throw out the reading rhythm for me

Compared to the Tamil, most of the caps, the k, vwx, feel too unruly, I think they would be good to have as a 2nd family (or OT swash caps feature) and to turn the defaults much more conservative :)

The R leg seems to snug under the bowl and not providing enough support, the N is a little too narrow.

The metrics/spacing needs work :) Perhaps iKern.com might be a good route

Cheers
Dave

Tharique Azeez

Jul 31, 2015, 6:15:00 AM7/31/15
to googlefon...@googlegroups.com
Hi Dave,

Thank you very much for your feedback. I'll work on these suggestions and keep you posted.

Cheers.

Tharique Azeez

Docendo discimus

Tharique Azeez

Jul 31, 2015, 1:29:49 PM7/31/15
to googlefon...@googlegroups.com
Today // 31st July

- Fixed Ssa, and KSsa vowel markers I, Ii positioning issues.
- Updated spacing and metrics of some glyphs

Tomorrow //

- Start to work on Dave's suggestions on Aaram Latin
- Draw Latin symbols

Cheers.

Tharique Azeez
Docendo discimus
---

Tharique Azeez

Aug 1, 2015, 2:16:14 PM8/1/15
to googlefon...@googlegroups.com
Today // 1st August

- Started to working on Dave's feedback. Simplified few Latin lowercase glyphs.
- Fixed some spacing issues

Tomorrow //

- Continue on working on Dave's feedback (Uppercase & some lowercase)
- Fix some RSB/LSB issues on few glyphs

Cheers.

Tharique Azeez

Docendo discimus

Tharique Azeez

Aug 2, 2015, 2:58:25 PM8/2/15
to googlefon...@googlegroups.com
Today // 2nd August

- Simplified Latin lowercase (bcfhkmntuvwx) glyphs
- Fixed some spacing issues

Tomorrow //

- Simplify Latin uppercase glyphs
- Refine some Latin lowercase glyphs

​Cheers.​

Tharique Azeez

Docendo discimus

Tharique Azeez

Aug 3, 2015, 2:38:33 PM8/3/15
to googlefon...@googlegroups.com
Today // 3rd August

- Simplified few uppercase glyphs
- Refined and updated lowercase accented glyphs

Tomorrow //

- Simplify few more uppercase glyphs
- Refine and update uppercase accented glyphs
- Redraw Tamil numeral eight

Cheers.

Tharique Azeez

Docendo discimus

Tharique Azeez

Aug 4, 2015, 2:00:49 PM8/4/15
to googlefon...@googlegroups.com
Today // 4th August

- Simplified uppercase (EJKLT) glyphs
- Refined and updated uppercase accented glyphs
- Redrew Tamil numeral eight

Tomorrow //

- Simplify more uppercase (DVWX) & refine J
- Fix spacing issues

Tharique Azeez

Docendo discimus

Tharique Azeez

Aug 5, 2015, 2:59:17 PM8/5/15
to googlefon...@googlegroups.com
Today // 5th August

- Simplified uppercase glyphs (DVWX) & refined accented glyphs
- Refined J and i
- Fixed spacing in some glyphs

Tomorrow //

- Continue to work on Uppercase KWX, as they need more refinement on width and spacing
- Refine TM sign

Tharique Azeez

Docendo discimus

Tharique Azeez

Aug 7, 2015, 9:25:40 AM8/7/15
to googlefon...@googlegroups.com
Yesterday & Today // 6th & 7th August

- Refined KWXV and some other accented glyphs.
- Fixed some spacing issues.
- Redrawn w
- Refined TM sign

Tomorrow //

- Explore some different shapes for @ sign
- Refine B
- Redraw number 2

Cheers.

Tharique Azeez

Docendo discimus

Tharique Azeez

Aug 8, 2015, 4:31:52 PM8/8/15
to googlefon...@googlegroups.com
Today // 8th August

- Refined BDV@
- Redrawn tittle of i and number 2

Test page is available here: http://enathu.github.io/aaram/

Tomorrow //

- Start to draw some missing symbols for AL3
- Redraw number 5 and refine number 2

Cheers

Tharique Azeez

Docendo discimus

Dave Crossland

Aug 8, 2015, 4:36:22 PM8/8/15
to googlefonts-discuss
Great work Tharique!

When do you esimate you'll be ready to ship each project? :)

Tharique Azeez

Aug 9, 2015, 10:45:29 AM8/9/15
to googlefon...@googlegroups.com
Thank you, Dave. :)

I hope to complete the Aaram by the end of this month.

While I'll be refactoring the Neythal to integrate FDK features and adding some missing glyphs for AL3. I hope to complete Neythal by the second week of September.

And also, I'll start to post everyday updates on other handwriting font, in coming weeks and hope to complete it by the last week of October. :)

Cheers.

Tharique Azeez

Docendo discimus

On 9 August 2015 at 02:05, Dave Crossland <da...@lab6.com> wrote:
Great work Tharique!

When do you esimate you'll be ready to ship each project? :)

Tharique Azeez

Aug 10, 2015, 2:21:08 PM8/10/15
to googlefon...@googlegroups.com
Yesterday & Today // 9th & 10th August

- Redrawn number 5 and refined number 2
- Added missing composite glyphs for AL3
- Started to draw math symbols - nee
- Added some fixes for spacing issues.

Tomorrow //

- Continue drawing math symbols and complete the set
- Fix x-height on Tamil LllU
- Explore alt design for asterisk

Cheers.

Tharique Azeez

Docendo discimus

Marcelo Magalhães

Aug 11, 2015, 1:32:35 PM8/11/15
to Google Fonts Discussions
Hey Tharique, how are you?

Can you help me with a basic question?
I'm working on my first latin letters and very soon will be working on my Tamil Alphabet.
But I can't find the information of how to encode correctly my fontforge file, I have this link with the description of all glyphs:
https://github.com/marcelommp/source-tamil-sans/blob/master/GlyphOrderAndAliasDB

Thanks a lot and congrats for your very nice Aaran typeface project

Marcelo

Tharique Azeez

Docendo discimus

Tharique Azeez

Docendo discimus

Tharique Azeez

Aug 12, 2015, 12:33:08 PM8/12/15
to googlefon...@googlegroups.com
Hi Marcelo,

I have replied your question on Coiny's thread. https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/googlefonts-discuss/D_ubv3ws4c8

Cheers.

Tharique Azeez

Docendo discimus

Tharique Azeez

Docendo discimus

Tharique Azeez

Docendo discimus

Tharique Azeez

Aug 12, 2015, 2:37:16 PM8/12/15
to googlefon...@googlegroups.com
Yesterday & Today // 11th & 12th August

- Fixed x-height issue on LllU
- Drawn new shape for asterisk
- Drawn few symbol glyphs

Tomorrow //

- Continue with the drawing of rest of the symbols and complete.

Cheers.

Tharique Azeez

Docendo discimus

Tharique Azeez

Aug 13, 2015, 2:19:12 PM8/13/15
to googlefon...@googlegroups.com
Today // 13th August

- Drawn symbols and completed the set.
- Fixed some Tamil compound glyphs' below baseline height, for consistency

Tomorrow //

- Some more spacing and kerning test on Aaram.
- Start the refactoring on Neythal

Cheers

Tharique Azeez

Docendo discimus

Tharique Azeez

Aug 14, 2015, 2:41:14 PM8/14/15
to googlefon...@googlegroups.com
Today // 14th August

- Fixed some spacing issues and tested kerning.
- Started to refactoring the Neythal

Tomorrow

- Explore some alternate design for lowercase q, and £
- Continue with Neythal refactoring

Cheers.

Tharique Azeez

Docendo discimus

Tharique Azeez

Aug 16, 2015, 2:46:52 PM8/16/15
to googlefon...@googlegroups.com
Yesterday & Today // 15th & 16th August

- Redrawn lowercase q, j, £, and @
- Refined some composite glyphs
- Continued with the refactoring of Neythal to implement FDK features.

Tomorrow //

- Start a new thread to log Neythal updates
- Continue with the refinements on Neythal

Cheers.

 Tharique Azeez

Docendo discimus

Tharique Azeez

Sep 7, 2015, 2:19:23 PM9/7/15
to googlefon...@googlegroups.com
Latest update //

- Made the vowel maker E, a little tighter.
- Refined lowercase t, and Tamil A

Tomorrow //

- Explore different design form for Tamil A, Aa, and I glyphs
- Redraw the bottom part of Tamil Llla

Cheers.

Tharique Azeez

Docendo discimus

Tharique Azeez

Sep 15, 2015, 1:34:37 PM9/15/15
to googlefon...@googlegroups.com
Last few days //

- Explored different design form for Tamil Aa, A and I glyphs and completely redrawn them.
- Fixed the issue with the bottom part of Tamil Llla by redrawn it.
- Refined shapes of RU, RUu and adjusted LSB, RSB of the glyphs
- Refined the bottom part of the O, Oo for better shape.
- Reduced the right protrusion of Tti to match with other glyphs
- Added GPOS adjustment for virama of Na, Rra

Web testing page is here: http://enathu.github.io/aaram/

Inline images 1

Tomorrow //

- Refine the top curves of Nna, Nnna, and other compound glyphs that associated with them for better shape
- Refine TtIi to match with TtI

Cheers.

Tharique Azeez

Docendo discimus

Tharique Azeez

Sep 29, 2015, 2:11:43 PM9/29/15
to googlefon...@googlegroups.com
Last few days //

- Redrawn Nnna & Refined Au and TtI for consistency
- Redrawn Nna, and related vowel makers.
- Added kerning
- Redrawn NnnU, NnU to match with Nna & Nnna
- Refined terminals of Cuu, LllU, LlU, MU, Nya for consistency
- Redrawn R and it's accented glyphs + Adjusted Nnna viram positioning

next //

- Release beta

Tharique Azeez
Visual Designer
Docendo discimus
---
♥ Save a tree. Don't print this E-Mail unless it's really necessary