Gamunu Libre Font (Sinhala, Latin)

Pathum Egodawatta

Oct 14, 2015, 7:47:37 PM10/14/15
to Google Fonts Discussions
Hi All,

We have started work on another Sinhala project. This time it is based on the Pushpananda Ekanayake's FM Gemunu font. It is a really popular font at the moment. This font was not very well received in 1998 when it was release because of the somewhat  unfamiliar shapes, Mr Pushpananda  says. But last few year it has seen a lot of use. Specially because of its kind of strong appearance and presence, we have seen lot of usage in punchline on tv adverts and political campaigns/ promo campaigns for range of brands.

>>>Old FM Gemunu (1998)

And It was funny when the both main political parties in Sri Lanka used the same FM Gamunu font for their main election campaign visuals. But if you look around this is now the industry standard for 'Political campaigns/ Marketing campaigns' and what not.

It is a nice font, but there is a lot of things that we plan improve, apart from making curves better and cleaning up of points, making it into unicode, expansion of character set and making a set of new weights. Following is a sketch of some of the changes we are doing, Top is the old and on the bottom is the new design. More breathing space, bigger counters, and uniformity in curves.

We already started work and its on GitHub here: https://github.com/mooniak/gemunu-libre-font . Sol Matas will start work on the Latin set in coming weeks, will post once we have new news. Following is the latest status:

 Finished pa, sa, ha, na base glyphs in both Gemunu Regular and Extra Bold. pu, si, hu, nu v, m, mi, mii, vi, vii and su also finished in both.

I think we will have to revise the Light master to better match the appearance of the original bold master.

Cheers,

Pathum for mooniak team..

Pathum Egodawatta

Nov 4, 2015, 1:21:05 PM11/4/15
to Google Fonts Discussions
Hi All,

Project is moving fast. Our testing page is live here http://mooniak.com/gemunu-libre-font/tests/

Please comment :)

Cheers,
Pathum

Pathum Egodawatta

Nov 16, 2015, 12:06:45 PM11/16/15
to Google Fonts Discussions
Hi All,

Another set of glyphs have been added to Gemunu. Please see the test page here: http://mooniak.com/gemunu-libre-font/tests/

We decided to go with a optimised glyphset for this font as it is more geometric and we can render most of the consonant+matra combinations with gpos.

Cheers,
Pathum

Pathum Egodawatta

Dec 6, 2015, 1:15:37 PM12/6/15
to Google Fonts Discussions

Hi All,

First set of Latin characters are on Test Page now. http://mooniak.com/gemunu-libre-font/tests/

newdigi...@gmail.com

Apr 27, 2017, 7:27:47 AM4/27/17
to Google Fonts Discussions
puluwan nam mata e mail ekak danawada
newdigi...@gmail.com

newdigi...@gmail.com

Apr 27, 2017, 7:27:47 AM4/27/17
to Google Fonts Discussions
mata gemunu libare sinhala font eka witharak wath denawada?
newdigi...@gmail.com

newdigi...@gmail.com

Apr 27, 2017, 7:27:47 AM4/27/17
to Google Fonts Discussions
ayye ko font set eka ne ne..

newdigi...@gmail.com

Aug 19, 2017, 2:37:31 AM8/19/17
to Google Fonts Discussions
Mea font weda karan ne nene. kohomada com ekata daaganne
Nandakumara