Bidirectional slant axis support for variable fonts

Eli Heuer

Mar 24, 2020, 5:00:02 PM3/24/20
to Google Fonts Discussions
Mohamed Gaber recently updated the upstream repository for the the typeface Cairo with a bidirectional slant axis going from -11 to 11. See the FontGoggles preview in the upstream repository in you need an illustration.

The reasoning behind this is given in this Cairo pull request.

I thought it might be unusual but I want the font to support both slanting directions to be available as an option depending on the main language of the paragraph, if it's Latin featuring Arabic words or Arabic featuring Latin words I think it is essential to support both directions for bi-script font families like Cairo

I know that Google Fonts is not able to serve slnt axis fonts yet, due to lack of browser support, but when more support for the slnt axis is added I want to suggest that bidirectional support is included in that.

I made an issue for this here, but I wanted to post this to Google Fonts Discussions in hopes that I could get more feedback on this. It seems like a really nice thing to have, and I want to see it get support in the Google Fonts Collection.
cairo-slnt-demo.gif

Stephen Nixon

Mar 28, 2020, 2:00:14 PM3/28/20
to googlefon...@googlegroups.com
Hey Eli, thanks for posting this!

This past week, I made a test page which includes a bidirectional, positive & negative slnt usecase:

(Should be viewed with Chrome Canary, Firefox Nightly, and Safari Webkit Preview).

I filed issues on this to Chromium & Webkit (Firefox works quite well so far, though I need to file a small issue there).