License Description (nameID13) length restriction?

Pathum Egodawatta

Jan 28, 2017, 12:31:48 AM1/28/17
to Google Fonts Discussions
Hi All,

Is there a restriction on length of nameID 13- License description? There is no mention in the spec : https://www.microsoft.com/typography/otspec/name.htm.

What is the best way to test if there is a restriction?
I can test in incremental values, but which tool should I use to test ( to make sure I don't base my number  on a restriction of a tool? but the spec)

Thanks in advance.
Pathum

Adam Twardoch (List)

Jan 28, 2017, 9:14:48 AM1/28/17
to googlefon...@googlegroups.com
1. I think that the name table in total should not exceed 65,636 bytes in length or else there will be blood.

2. Some apps had some assumptions. Some years ago, the ot-sanitizer module built into Firefox and Chrome rejected fonts where the name table exceeded a certain length, shorter than 64K. Maybe it was 8K. I don't know if this still is the case.

Sent from my mobile phone.

Dave Crossland

Marc Foley

Jan 30, 2017, 3:54:33 PM1/30/17
to Google Fonts Discussions
Hey Pathum,

We use the same license description in every font:

This Font Software is licensed under the SIL Open Font License, Version 1.1. This license is available with a FAQ at: http://scripts.sil.org/OFL

We've never experienced clipping or had a problem with it.

Dave Crossland

Jan 30, 2017, 4:20:24 PM1/30/17
to googlefonts-discuss
Pathum is researching this :)

Khaled Hosny

Jan 30, 2017, 4:48:57 PM1/30/17
to googlefon...@googlegroups.com
I used to put the full OFL text there, never had any issues or received
bug reports related to it.

Regards,
Khaled

On Mon, Jan 30, 2017 at 04:19:42PM -0500, Dave Crossland wrote:
> Pathum is researching this :)

Pathum Egodawatta

Jan 31, 2017, 12:24:12 AM1/31/17
to Google Fonts Discussions, khale...@eglug.org
Thanks guys!

The whole OFL.1.1 counts for 4000 characters. I will start from there and go, I'll post results of the tests :)