Work Sans Windows 7 OpenType and Menu Problem

WeiH

Mar 1, 2016, 5:09:03 PM3/1/16
to Google Fonts Discussions
I received an email:

However, there's a small problem I ran into, and I can't quite understand what is wrong. When installing the desktop OTF fonts, I do not have any Opentype features available in Adobe. However, when I install the TTF webfonts, I do have Opentype features in Adobe (and the font is called "Work Sans (OTF)" in the Adobe interface...

Besides that, when installing the TTF fonts, I get two seperate instances of "Work Sans (OTF)" in Adobe, both with only Black and ExtraBold as available weights, none of the others.

I guess something very weird is going on. I had similar issues with another open source font, Cooper Hewitt. In the end I managed to fix the invisible weights by modifying the font family names in the font files. However, I must admit that I am very unfamiliar with font production. Something that came to mind, is that the problem might be with Windows (7) and the way this OS handles fonts.

Might anyone be familiar with this issue?

Adam Twardoch (List)

Mar 1, 2016, 7:23:18 PM3/1/16
to googlefon...@googlegroups.com
The "(OTF)" thing happens when OTF and TTF fonts with the same menu names are concurrently installed. I'd advise the user to uninstall all Work Sans fonts, restart Windows, then check the Windows fonts folder and uninstall any leftovers until they no longer show up in the menus. Then the user should search the hard drive for all Adobe font caches (AdobeFnt*.lst) and renove them. Then install only one flavor of fonts but never both.

Sent from my mobile phone.

WeiH

Dave Crossland