VF Name Tables

WeiH

Dec 11, 2019, 6:50:05 PM12/11/19
to Google Fonts Discussions
Hi, I'm wondering what if any differences there are in preparing a VF in the name table, i.e. what goes in name ID 1, 2, 4, 6, 16, 17.
Right now by default the origin master's values get put in there, is that the correct protocol?

WeiH

Dec 11, 2019, 7:03:58 PM12/11/19
to googlefon...@googlegroups.com
Asking since it's showing up in some places as the full font name including the default weight, where as other fonts seem to omit a style name so it only show up only as the Font Name? The current font I am working on doesn't have a master at the "Regular" weight so I can't set that as the origin/default.

WeiH

Feb 13, 2020, 12:02:51 AM2/13/20
to Google Fonts Discussions
Any one?

Nikolaus Waxweiler

Feb 13, 2020, 6:52:30 AM2/13/20
to Google Fonts Discussions
I'm not a Google Fonts, but your bump is compelling me to respond: Using the default master's name stuff strikes me as correct, since everything else is just a delta to the default. I.e. whatever fontmake doing right now is probably The Right Thing.

Dave Crossland

Feb 13, 2020, 7:45:36 AM2/13/20
to googlefonts-discuss, Marc Foley
I suggest to compare the name tables of VFs in the GitHub.com/Google/fonts master branch.

I'll be very grateful if you could share what you learn on this thread.

We will need to develop FontBakery checks for whatever is right :)

Marc Foley

Feb 13, 2020, 7:53:23 AM2/13/20
to Google Fonts Discussions
Nikolaus is correct:

Stephen Nixon

Feb 13, 2020, 11:38:04 AM2/13/20
to googlefon...@googlegroups.com
I believe that using the default instance is technically a slightly better answer, as the default master may have naming specific to your design workflow. This would often be the same, but for Recursive, the default master's style name is "Sans Linear A," but the default instance is "Sans Linear Light."

From what I understand, the style naming is there for software that doesn't interpret VFs. What will those users see? The naming should match.

——

Stephen Nixon

On Thu, Feb 13, 2020 at 7:53 AM 'Marc Foley' via Google Fonts Discussions <googlefon...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
Nikolaus is correct:

Using the default master's name stuff strikes me as correct, since everything else is just a delta to the default. I.e. whatever fontmake doing right now is probably The Right Thing.

Nikolaus Waxweiler

Feb 13, 2020, 12:13:07 PM2/13/20
to Google Fonts Discussions

From what I understand, the style naming is there for software that doesn't interpret VFs. What will those users see?

Your default master, so showing name info from the default master is correct :)