Educational cursive fonts to teach primary children (3-11) handwriting

Timothy Longman

Feb 26, 2016, 11:32:57 AM2/26/16
to Google Fonts Discussions
Hi all,

I am a teacher in a primary school which uses Chromebooks. Teaching handwriting to children is still an important task and we just can't find any Google fonts that we can use in Google docs to help children learn to write. Sure - there are loads of cursive fonts - but they seem to all aim to mimic handwriting as opposed to teach it.

If you're scratching your head to what I mean I've a couple of links to educational software providers in the UK that provide such fonts on Windows.

http://www.cursivewriting.org/joined-cursive-fonts.html

this one puts the dots into the font for tracing and arrows for direction so children can trace on paper.

Many, many apologies if such fonts exist on Google fonts - I have looked at the 123 handwriting latin fonts available and can see nothing suitable. I have also asked on the G+ edu group and got no suggestions.

If anyone was interested in doing fonts in this style it would be very much appreciated by many schools.

Dave Crossland

Feb 26, 2016, 11:38:54 AM2/26/16
to googlefonts-discuss
Hi Timothy

This is a very good idea. I can't promise anything but it may be possible for Google Fonts to commission a new font family for this purpose in the future. If you were able to raise funds, there are many font developers who could do a great job for you, and the cost would likely not be very high - say US$10,000. Also if you can find any fonts published under the SIL Open Font License that would be suitable, I can likely onboard them into Google Fonts.

Cheers
Dave

Raph Levien

Feb 26, 2016, 11:41:59 AM2/26/16
to googlefon...@googlegroups.com

I'd match funds up to 5k. Feel free to communicate that to the requester and other relevant ppl. Better if it can be run through a nonprofit but not a requirement.

Timothy Longman

Feb 26, 2016, 1:16:51 PM2/26/16
to Google Fonts Discussions
That's very generous of you Ralph. Can we crowd source the rest? My school would put in $300 - I am sure others would too over at the G+ GFE https://plus.google.com/u/0/+GoogleforEducation/posts

I am surprised Google hasn't just funded it given the way they are promoting Chromebooks in K12 at the moment.

On 18 February 2016 at 17:55, Timothy Longman <timothyl...@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

Dave Crossland

Feb 26, 2016, 1:28:05 PM2/26/16
to googlefonts-discuss
On 26 February 2016 at 13:16, Timothy Longman <timothyl...@gmail.com> wrote:
Can we crowd source the rest?

Surely! :)

It would be good to clarify EXACTLY what you want; how many languages to support, which exact style of handwriting you want, how many 'extra' versions (with lines/dots/etc), how many glyph variants, etc

Erin McLaughlin

Feb 27, 2016, 9:15:26 PM2/27/16
to Google Fonts Discussions, da...@lab6.com
Hi everyone!

I'm one of the Google Web Fonts contributors, and I've previously worked on a print/cursive font for a client who was making custom handwriting worksheets. It would be a great starting point for this, I believe. I can adapt what I already have to suit the writing style that you're looking for, and make some other improvements. Would save time rather than starting from scratch. Just wanted to let you know that I'd be interested in working on this!

– Erin
Screen Shot 2016-02-27 at 7.24.37 PM.png

Erin McLaughlin

Feb 27, 2016, 9:18:09 PM2/27/16
to Google Fonts Discussions
I forgot to add, we also created a version that had directional arrows and numbered starting points that would teach the stroke-order for the letters. I'll see if I can find a picture of it quickly...

Dave Crossland

Feb 27, 2016, 10:38:46 PM2/27/16
to googlefonts-discuss
Hi Erin

Wow, that's great! Was it developed as a stroke font, similar to https://github.com/erinmclaughlin/Hubballi ?

Cheers
Dave

Erin McLaughlin

Feb 27, 2016, 10:46:36 PM2/27/16
to Google Fonts Discussions, da...@lab6.com
Hi Dave,

No, but I'm much faster at vector drawing now. I could easily re-make it with this stroke method so that we can easily make different weights if so desired.

– E

Karambir Singh Rohilla

Feb 28, 2016, 10:27:52 AM2/28/16
to googlefon...@googlegroups.com
Hi Deve
that's great!

karambir
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/googlefonts-discuss/4aeef490-c17a-40a8-b072-779031f1b23a%40googlegroups.com.

Thanks and Regards
Karambir Singh Rohilla
Font Design Professional
New Delhi (INDIA)
(M) 9968312113

Juan Luis Blanco

Feb 29, 2016, 4:24:02 AM2/29/16
to Google Fonts Discussions
Hi everyone,

this is an interesting project. To anyone involved in its design, I would suggest reading the works of Rosemary Sassoon, particularly: "The art and Science of Handwriting" and "Handwriting Problems in the Secondary School". "The acquisition of a Second Writing System" would also be a good reading.

Cheers,
Juan

Karambir Singh Rohilla

Feb 29, 2016, 6:11:39 AM2/29/16
to googlefon...@googlegroups.com
Hi all
 I have also developed a handwriting font
Inline images 1

Timothy Longman

Mar 2, 2016, 6:32:04 AM3/2/16
to Google Fonts Discussions, da...@lab6.com
Trouble is as you say there are lots of different potential styles. We use joinitc1 (the basic one) here http://www.cursivewriting.org/joined-cursive-fonts.html

Having a look at that website you can see the possible variations.

Another supplier in the windows world gives quite a lot of options to "create" your own. See image.

Plus of course the dotted line and arrow versions....

Pathum Egodawatta

Mar 2, 2016, 11:23:07 AM3/2/16
to Google Fonts Discussions, da...@lab6.com
Hi all!

This is exciting, just wanted to point something out.

In Sri Lanka government introduced a new font based on the National Education Institute's approved alphabet to teach writing. This was because different publishers were publishing writing books without any standard.

So it is important to do a background research in that area to see if there are any standards enforced by educators. And make sure that it is clear what style or country it is meant for when publishing such fonts :)

Erin McLaughlin

Timothy Longman

Mar 5, 2016, 9:13:14 AM3/5/16
to Google Fonts Discussions
Yup, if it were to happen it should be a new category in the font picker.

mgr...@mansfieldschool.com

Feb 25, 2017, 2:17:38 AM2/25/17
to Google Fonts Discussions
How do I add this font to my google drive?  I've looked and looked for a font with printing lines for my first graders to use in Google drive.  This would be perfect.
Meghan

Dave Crossland

Feb 25, 2017, 5:20:18 AM2/25/17
to googlefonts-discuss, mgr...@mansfieldschool.com, Erin McLaughlin
Hi

This font can only be added through the centralized Google Fonts
service, which I manage.

I will see what I can do to onboard such a font, but I can make no
commitments about when this might ship

Cheers
Dave
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/googlefonts-discuss/a4bfb533-e597-4bef-99f3-890646a39e0d%40googlegroups.com.

Timothy Longman

Feb 28, 2017, 1:40:54 PM2/28/17
to googlefon...@googlegroups.com, mgr...@mansfieldschool.com, Erin McLaughlin
Great news if we are getting such fonts. I look forward to hearing it is available! It will be of great interest to educators.

--
Cheers
Dave

Jacques Le Bailly

Mar 1, 2017, 10:18:12 AM3/1/17
to Google Fonts Discussions
Great news if we are getting such fonts. I look forward to hearing it is available! It will be of great interest to educators

I think it would be a nice addition to the collection, but it should be also made clear which writing system it is based on and in which country it has been designed in. Every country has its own specific writing solutions and models to teach their children to write properly.

Timothy Longman

May 11, 2018, 7:45:34 AM5/11/18
to googlefon...@googlegroups.com
Just checking into this thread again - here is another example of such a font not available for use in G suite. https://www.twinkl.co.uk/twinkl-handwriting-font

Jacque - I agree - there are different ways to teach handwriting and even in the same country teachers use different styles - so there needs to be a category of fonts that cover the 90% of methods. I would see these type of fonts as a different category in Google fonts to go along with the current ones of Display, Handwriting, Monospace, Serif and Sans Serif

Dave - did you make any progress?

Dave Crossland

May 11, 2018, 6:17:28 PM5/11/18
to googlefonts-discuss
Hi

No, currently not any active development of such fonts, although this is on my agenda and I recently asked around for teams interested in funding such a thing. So far, no takers.

I suggest trying to organize something on Kickstarter, etc - if there's a high quality font under OFL, I'll onboard it.

On 11 May 2018 at 07:45, Timothy Longman <timothyl...@gmail.com> wrote:
Just checking into this thread again - here is another example of such a font not available for use in G suite. https://www.twinkl.co.uk/twinkl-handwriting-font

Jacque - I agree - there are different ways to teach handwriting and even in the same country teachers use different styles - so there needs to be a family of fonts that cover the 90% of methods. I would see these type of fonts as a different category in Google fonts to go along with the current ones of Display, Handwriting, Monospace, Serif and Sans Serif

On Wednesday, 1 March 2017 15:18:12 UTC, Jacques Le Bailly wrote:
Great news if we are getting such fonts. I look forward to hearing it is available! It will be of great interest to educators

I think it would be a nice addition to the collection, but it should be also made clear which writing system it is based on and in which country it has been designed in. Every country has its own specific writing solutions and models to teach their children to write properly.

Cheers
Dave

Vlad Chufar

May 12, 2018, 1:10:28 PM5/12/18
to googlefon...@googlegroups.com

Hi Dave

Nothing bad happened, as there are other resources for these post-modern fonts mailings.

But nevertheless, I am staying in my intention to be helpful for Google Fonts (GF) project.

And thus, yours GF-project stays the first address for our fonts promotion.

Thanks

Vlad

[...]

Timothy Longman

May 12, 2018, 1:49:16 PM5/12/18
to googlefon...@googlegroups.com
Hi Dave,
Thanks for the update. Have you been able to talk to the guys at Google Education? They might have funding for such a project?

On Fri, 11 May 2018, 23:17 Dave Crossland, <da...@lab6.com> wrote:
[...]

daniel....@cmc.qld.edu.au

Oct 17, 2018, 11:24:17 AM10/17/18
to Google Fonts Discussions
This is awesome. I believe an all round english font could and should be established on Google that fits all contexts.

For an Australian perspective this website has the Australian fonts. http://www.australianschoolfonts.com.au/styles/
As an Aussie teacher (for ages 5 to 12), the Aussie fonts are all fairly similar and should be easy to replicate. Here is an example of a collection/suite of styles that school-educators have asked for in a font, not necessarily that we should have all of these though: http://www.schoolfonts.com.au/Fonts_NSW.html

Particularly note:
  • the first
  • the 5th style down the page, which is an outlined style with a dot and arrow indicating direction of how to write. This feature is very important for helping teaching reading and for dsylexic children.
  • also note the slight italic angle
  • very few to NO elaborations - a modern cursive style should allow efficiency and improve our writing considering human functionality and ergonomics.
  • the space between words should equal a double letter spacing or double+half a letter. eg you should be able to fit two "o" letters in between each word. This improves readability for younger children, and helps them see the letters versus the words.

I don't know if it helps, but I believe something between Bad Script (https://fonts.google.com/specimen/Bad+Script) and Kalam (https://fonts.google.com/specimen/Kalam) - these appear to be the closest google fonts that I can find. But they really need the suite of fonts similar to the schoolfonts link above.

Awesome. Keep this rolling.

Timothy Longman

Oct 19, 2018, 12:01:21 PM10/19/18
to googlefon...@googlegroups.com
Hi Daniel,

Unfortunately this thread has been going for a number of years with no progress because while generally everyone thinks it is a good idea I've no idea who the people at Google Education are (I have tried posting in several G+ groups to no effect) and they are the ones with the money to enable such a project unless anyone else wants to pay for open source fonts and get Dave (if he is still working on this) to put them onto the google fonts library.

Timothy Longman

Oct 22, 2020, 5:43:17 AM10/22/20
to Google Fonts Discussions
Just something to keep this going - lots and lots of cursive fonts available from Google - but none actually designed to help children learn to write.......  Please Google! Setup a new font category  (education) and put this in place!!!!

Dave Crossland

Oct 22, 2020, 8:00:34 AM10/22/20
to googlefonts-discuss
I'm hoping to do this next year :)

Eben Sorkin

Oct 22, 2020, 11:00:55 AM10/22/20
to Google Fonts Discussions
That does seem like a very good idea.

William Harrison

Jun 2, 2021, 12:03:52 PM6/2/21
to Google Fonts Discussions
We are also looking for some good cursive fonts for teaching handwriting to Elementary/Primary-aged children. We previously used a commercial font (Nelson font from Oxford University Press) which could be used in Microsoft Office, but since switching from Office to Google Workspace in our school we haven't been able to find a good replacement. I really hope someone is developing one that will be available in Google Fonts soon!

Santosh Kshirsagar

Jun 3, 2021, 2:00:11 AM6/3/21
to Google Fonts Discussions
Hi Dave

Yes font for handwriting is required idea (already late.... but its a need).
(As my research area of PhD was "Devanagari Handwriting acquisition", Completed in 2018)
Do let me know if Google is planning for India. I'm ready to team-up with Ek-Type for the same.
regards-
santosh

Dave Crossland

Jun 3, 2021, 7:12:21 AM6/3/21
to googlefonts-discuss
Thank you sir, I am optimistic that we will get there eventually. First I am looking at the technology to create such fonts using only libre software :)

Timothy Longman

Oct 14, 2021, 10:20:57 AM10/14/21
to googlefon...@googlegroups.com
As you can see we have been asking for 5 years! 1st post on this thread is 2016. Hopefully Google will get round to it at some point.

William Harrison

Oct 26, 2022, 6:53:52 AM10/26/22
to Google Fonts Discussions
Any news on this a year later?
We are still looking for a good cursive font to use in Primary/Elementary education across all the Google apps.

Timothy Longman

Oct 27, 2022, 5:11:45 AM10/27/22
to googlefon...@googlegroups.com
We seem unable to get through to anyone in Google Education as to why fonts which help children learn to handwrite are still important in schools.

****

"This message contains confidential information and is intended only for the individual named. You cannot use or forward any information or attachments contained in this email, except when authorized by St. Julian’s School. In not doing so, you may be held accountable for any dissemination, distribution, publication or copy, under the existing personal data privacy laws, and other legislation equally applicable, should any complaints arise. The school reserves the right to legal action in such situations. If you are not the named addressee you should not equally disseminate, distribute, copy or use, by any means and for any purpose, this email. Please notify immediately the sender by email if you have received this email by mistake and delete definitively this email from your system. St Julian's School, Lisbon, Portugal. www.stjulians.com

Eben Sorkin

Oct 28, 2022, 1:32:08 AM10/28/22
to googlefon...@googlegroups.com
What model/s for handwriting instruction seem most valid / attractive / relevant?

Why?

Would fonts made from a diversity of these be best?

-e

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Google Fonts Discussions" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/googlefonts-discuss/CAAG4_6CD3Mahcwp3V7YtXnRJghGW_m-B_2oKD7g4VJW_xV9qFw%40mail.gmail.com.

Timothy Longman

Oct 30, 2022, 11:31:53 AM10/30/22
to googlefon...@googlegroups.com