Boogaloo Bengali

jeremie...@typefactory.net

Jun 30, 2015, 6:15:01 PM6/30/15
to googlefon...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

We will also be designing a Bengali for Boogaloo.
This one will be designed on 2 masters (Light->ExtraBold) and we shall make about 5 weights out of it.

Development files will be hosted here:

I have placed a first draft so that you can see the initial design intentions (PDF).
Although the Latin here is not Boogaloo yet, it is related.

The project should start this fall but we might give it a go a little earlier.
Watch this space too :)

For this project as well as for the Lobster Bengali, we are plan to commit at every save (very frequently) so that it should be possible to generate a 'making of' movie in the end.

Thanks to these two RoboFont scripts:
and

Feel free to use them too for your projects.
(I need to clarify the license, but anyone can do basically whatever they want with these —copy/modify/distribute, etc.)

best wishes,
Jérémie

Dave Crossland

Jun 30, 2015, 6:26:54 PM6/30/15
to googlefonts-discuss

On 30 June 2015 at 18:15, <jeremie...@typefactory.net> wrote:
(I need to clarify the license, but anyone can do basically whatever they want with these —copy/modify/distribute, etc.)

OFL is fine

Dave Crossland

Jun 30, 2015, 7:34:49 PM6/30/15
to googlefonts-discuss

Hi

On 30 June 2015 at 18:15, <jeremie...@typefactory.net> wrote:
We will also be designing a Bengali for Boogaloo.

I think this isn't quite the right way to frame it. As you say,

Although the Latin here is not Boogaloo yet, it is related

So in fact this is an original Bengali design that harmonises well with Boogaloo.

The OFL has an RFN option that was used for both Lobster and Boogaloo. This means you can not distribute derivate files (files containing their data) using those names without permission.

Since these fonts will differ in vertical metrics, they will need to be published under different names anyway.

Since the script is used in the Google Fonts API as an API parameter, eg "Lobster $scriptName" isn't ideal.

Cheers
Dave

Dave Crossland

Jun 30, 2015, 9:54:25 PM6/30/15
to googlefonts-discuss
Actually Apache is probably better, since OFL means it can't be combined with non-OFL works

jeremie...@typefactory.net

Jul 25, 2015, 9:50:53 AM7/25/15
to Google Fonts Discussions, da...@lab6.com, da...@lab6.com
Hi,

Today we've finally given a start to this project.
All the lowercases Light are here, made from the current Regular (that is in fact a DemiBold).
There is a video (animated GIF) of the making on Typefactory's Tweeter; go and have a look, it's fun :)

Up next:
- continue with the rest of the glyph set in Light
- do the same in ExtraBold
- give a start to Bengali base glyphs.

Thinking we should find a new name for it.
I just came up with 'Atma' that means 'soul' un Bengali.

আত্মা

What do you think ?

Jeremie

jeremie...@typefactory.net

Aug 5, 2015, 4:33:49 AM8/5/15
to Google Fonts Discussions, da...@lab6.com
Hello,

Yesterday we took a U turn in this project deciding to start afresh.
It is a nice and well balanced dancing, casual and informal display sans-serif.

The code name for the typeface is Atma (meaning 'Soul' in Bengali) and the git repository is here:

We have started with the ExtraBold weight, UpperCases, LowerCases, figures, and a few Bengali glyphs were sketched on the ExtraBold weight.
All the design and development are on the public repository so everyone can see it evolving.

I have also uploaded an animation of the work so far on Vimeo:

kind regards,
Jérémie

jeremie...@typefactory.net

Aug 18, 2015, 5:02:52 PM8/18/15
to Google Fonts Discussions
Yesterday Roxane joined the team and she is now in charge of the Latin part.
She has been refining some shapes and started on the punctuation:

jeremie...@typefactory.net

Sep 22, 2015, 2:51:47 AM9/22/15
to Google Fonts Discussions
Hello,

The Latin Design is almost complete by now, just need some refinements.
The Bengali basic design is set in both Masters, we need to expand to the rest of the glyph set.