Farsan Gujarati + Latin

Pooja Saxena

Aug 3, 2015, 2:00:20 PM8/3/15
to Google Fonts Discussions
Hi everyone,

I'm starting a new Gujarati + Latin project called Farsan this month. It is up on Github: https://github.com/anexasajoop/farsan, and below are the handful of letters I have drawn so far:

In the next one week, I plan to add more Gujarati consonants (as much variety in shapes as possible) and some vowel marks; plus get a start on test documents. I'll post updates here and push to Gihub whenever I work on the project.

Looking forward to your feedback as the design grows and evolves (:

Thanks,
Pooja

Dave Crossland

Aug 7, 2015, 8:16:43 PM8/7/15
to googlefonts-discuss

Hi Pooja!

I'm excited to see this progress :) Do you have a completion date in mind - October 30?

Cheers
Dave

Pooja Saxena

Aug 9, 2015, 3:03:23 AM8/9/15
to Google Fonts Discussions
Hi Dave,

End of October, yes (though my paperwork says Nov 30).

—P

Pooja Saxena

Aug 9, 2015, 3:14:09 AM8/9/15
to Google Fonts Discussions
Project update

On Aug 7, I added about a dozen more consonants બખભમગણઞરષવયકટ and a few matras.

Next, I want to work a bit on test documents and start on some Latin letters, along with tinkering with the following issues—

1. The widths of letters બ and ખ.
2. Design and curves of ભ and ટ
3. Design of the knots (there are a couple of different styles in use right now)
4. Angles of the in-strokes of ર,ક,ટ
5. Size of the ukar matra

Pooja Saxena

Aug 10, 2015, 4:43:37 AM8/10/15
to Google Fonts Discussions
Project Update

On Aug 10, I added rough drawings for a handful of Latin letters, and added a simple document to test vowel signs on consonants. The list of things I want to work on in the Gujarati stays the same as my last update—

1. The widths of letters બ and ખ.
2. Design and curves of ભ and ટ
3. Design of the knots (there are a couple of different styles in use right now)
4. Angles of the in-strokes of ર,ક,ટ
5. Size of the ukar matra

Plus, for the Latin I want to work on—

1. Improving the baseline and x-height alignment of the Latin letters
2. Making the italic angle more consistent.

Pooja Saxena

Aug 13, 2015, 9:44:24 AM8/13/15
to Google Fonts Discussions
Project Update

On Aug 13, I made some incremental improvements to the design of the Gujarati letters—

1. Fine-tuned the widths of letters બ and ખ, ગ and ણ and મ
2. Improved the design and curves of ભ and ટ
3. Worked on the in-strokes of letters ક,ર and ટ
4. Tried alternate form of attaching ukar matras to letters with a vertical stem

I would love to hear what you guys think of this!

Still on my to-do list from the past week:

Gujarati—

3. Design of the knots (there are a couple of different styles in use right now)

Latin—

1. Improving the baseline and x-height alignment of the Latin letters
2. Making the italic angle more consistent.

Thanks!

Pooja Saxena

Aug 18, 2015, 1:23:00 PM8/18/15
to Google Fonts Discussions
Project Update

On Aug 17 and 18, I added the remaining consonants and some more vowel signs + tried to make the design of the knots more consistent. A lot of these new consonants are far from perfect, so next I plan to do a lot of text settings and get these glyphs into good shape. I didn't do any new work on the Latin, so the to-dos from it stand as is—

1. Improving the baseline and x-height alignment of the Latin letters
2. Making the italic angle more consistent.

I'm on vacation for the rest of the week, so new work will only happen after Aug 23.

Dave Crossland

Aug 18, 2015, 1:27:09 PM8/18/15
to googlefonts-discuss

On 18 August 2015 at 13:23, Pooja Saxena <anexa...@gmail.com> wrote:
I'm on vacation for the rest of the week, so new work will only happen after Aug 23.

Thanks for the updates Pooja! Hope you have a great vacations :)

Pooja Saxena

Aug 25, 2015, 8:25:01 AM8/25/15
to Google Fonts Discussions
Project Update

On Aug 24 and 25, I improved the design of about a dozen consonants, added anchors, updated test documents, added a new GlyphData.xml file and restructured the font according to this file.

Pooja Saxena

Aug 31, 2015, 11:22:02 PM8/31/15
to Google Fonts Discussions
I've been terrible with updates for the last week, so here is one consolidated update. Hope to do better this week!

Project Update

Since Aug 26, I've continued making improvements to the design of the Gujarati consonants, added rough drawings for some more Latin characters, and started adding Gujarati consonant half-forms.

Dave Crossland

Sep 1, 2015, 12:03:39 AM9/1/15
to googlefonts-discuss

On 31 August 2015 at 23:22, Pooja Saxena <anexa...@gmail.com> wrote:
I've been terrible with updates for the last week, so here is one consolidated update. Hope to do better this week!

No worries :)

If you can commit to github as you work, that can help remind you when you post to the list :)

Pooja Saxena

Sep 1, 2015, 11:34:03 PM9/1/15
to Google Fonts Discussions, da...@lab6.com
Yep, that's what I depended on to send this last update (:

Pooja Saxena

Sep 4, 2015, 2:23:01 PM9/4/15
to Google Fonts Discussions
Project Update

Between Sep 2–4, I have added more half-forms, and also about a dozen consonant rakar forms. Next, I'm going to continue adding half-forms and rakar forms, while making improvements to the shapes of the consonants.

Pooja Saxena

Sep 8, 2015, 11:19:34 AM9/8/15
to Google Fonts Discussions
Project Update

Between Sep 5-7, I made design improvements and updates to તનભમલવજઞટઠડણધબરશસ, added rakar forms for ટઠડઢ, and added અઆઍએઐઑઓઔૉ ૅ. My to-dos remain the same as last time, more incremental design improvements and adding half and rakar forms.

Pooja Saxena

Sep 9, 2015, 12:59:31 AM9/9/15
to Google Fonts Discussions
Project Update

On Sep 8–9, I made design improvements to ઞધળષઝઢથદ, and to related half-forms. Next, I want to work on the design of the હ, add the remaining vowels and do more testing.

Pooja Saxena

Sep 13, 2015, 11:55:43 AM9/13/15
to Google Fonts Discussions
Project Update

I took a bit of detour from my plans and spent a bit of time on the Latin. I added Latin UC letters ACEFTILNO, and updated Latin LC letters adhilmn. Now that I have dipped my toes in the Latin, I think I'll continue doing a bit of work on it: updating the design of the remaining, already drawn Latin LC letters and adding more UC and LC.

Dave Crossland

Sep 14, 2015, 1:07:13 AM9/14/15
to googlefonts-discuss
Great stuff Pooja! :) I'm excited to see the Latin coming along :D

Pooja Saxena

Sep 16, 2015, 1:42:08 PM9/16/15
to Google Fonts Discussions, da...@lab6.com
Thanks, Dave!

*Project Update*

In the last couple of days, I added the remaining lowercase Latin letters and started adding diacritics + accented characters. In the next week, I plan to refine these glyphs, and add more diacritics. Then look at the uppercase letters and get their design better aligned with the lowercase.

Pooja Saxena

Sep 18, 2015, 12:20:49 AM9/18/15
to Google Fonts Discussions
*Project Update*

Yesterday, I updated the design of LC letters li and added the fifl; updated the vertical metrics of the UC letters, redrew letters CEFHILOP and added BDGKR; and drew some basic punctuation. My working plan remains the same as it was when I sent the last update.

Dave Crossland

Sep 18, 2015, 12:38:07 AM9/18/15
to googlefon...@googlegroups.com
Winner! :)

Pooja Saxena

Sep 23, 2015, 4:59:33 AM9/23/15
to Google Fonts Discussions
*Project Update*

In the last few days, I have added all the accented lowercase letters, and the basic uppercase letters, along with several of the diacritics. I am going to work on adding the accented uppercase letters that are still left in the next couple of days, and then review what all is done, and what needs doing in the next month.

Pooja Saxena

Sep 24, 2015, 8:20:45 AM9/24/15
to Google Fonts Discussions
*Project Update*

Yesterday, I added the remaining accented UC letters.

Dave Crossland

Sep 24, 2015, 5:06:42 PM9/24/15
to googlefonts-discuss
Awesome!!

Pooja Saxena

Oct 5, 2015, 8:21:51 AM10/5/15
to Google Fonts Discussions, da...@lab6.com
Project Update

Apologies for going MIA here. Last weekend, I had to travel unexpectedly and take a break from scheduled work. Back now (:

Before leaving, I had planned to figure out the schedule for the project for October, and have ended up deciding to set up AFDKO before I finish drawing the remaining character set. That is up on Github now. I've written up a handful of features for Gujarati, as well. This week, along with fiddling a bit more with this, I am planning to test and fine-tune the Latin letters + draw more glyphs from the Adobe Latin 4 set.

Pooja Saxena

Oct 6, 2015, 10:52:30 PM10/6/15
to Google Fonts Discussions
Project Update

Yesterday, I refined the shapes of LC letters and fine-tuned their spacing, along with adding the remaining combining marks and some more punctuation and symbols. Plan for the week is still same as the one I shared in the last update.

Dave Crossland

Oct 6, 2015, 11:23:16 PM10/6/15
to googlefon...@googlegroups.com
Great stuff :)

Pooja Saxena

Oct 12, 2015, 10:55:15 PM10/12/15
to Google Fonts Discussions
Project Update

Since my last update on the thread, I have refined the UC letters and their spacing and added all the remaining Latin glyphs for Adobe Latin 4 support. This week, my focus is back on the Gujarati.

Pooja Saxena

Oct 18, 2015, 12:15:16 PM10/18/15
to Google Fonts Discussions
Project Update

In the last week, I have been fine-tuning the Gujarati character set, and adding conjunct forms. More of that in the next couple of days (:

Pooja Saxena

Oct 26, 2015, 1:49:59 AM10/26/15
to Google Fonts Discussions
Project Update

I have finished adding all the conjunct forms (more granular updates are in my commit messages on Github), and am now working on anchoring for conjuncts and alternates for combinations of matras with reph and anusvara.