Amatic SC Cyrillic

Alexei Vanyashin

Oct 12, 2017, 6:41:59 AM10/12/17
to Google Fonts Discussions
Amatic SC is a font by Vernon Adams. Ben Nathan added a wonderful Hebrew extension, and Thomas Jockin extended Latin.

Similar to the workflow of Caveat Cyrillic, I will be co-working with calligrapher Eugene Spizhovy on a Cyrillic extension. I've created a Cyrillic fork here in this repo.
Screen Shot 2017-10-12 at 1.29.25 PM.png

Alexei Vanyashin

Oct 12, 2017, 7:03:12 AM10/12/17
to googlefon...@googlegroups.com

First I would like to examine the difference between Bold and Normal (Condensed).
Screen Shot 2017-10-12 at 1.50.16 PM.pngScreen Shot 2017-10-12 at 1.52.21 PM.png

The underlying construction feels similar, but the contour effects are fairly diverse. This isn't just a straightforward filtered solution.
In this overlay the difference in contour treatment is more visible. It may be that different threshold parameters were used to trace the two weights based on a single sketch.

Screen Shot 2017-10-12 at 1.50.24 PM.png

I have tried growing weight from Normal to Bold.
1 — this is a simple offset filter
2 — manual adjustments imitating stroke modulation. The result is quite close to the original Bold.

Screen Shot 2017-10-12 at 12.02.54 PM.png
I think we should start making sketches for the Regular weight. The Bold weight may be produced mechanically with adjustments or, what is better, by using a different tracing source to add more life.

As a starting point for Eugene's sketches I have created a working template.

Screen Shot 2017-10-12 at 1.23.29 PM.png

On Thu, Oct 12, 2017 at 1:42 PM Alexei Vanyashin <a...@cyreal.org> wrote:
Amatic SC is a font by Vernon Adams. Ben Nathan added a wonderful Hebrew extension, and Thomas Jockin extended Latin.

Similar to the workflow of Caveat Cyrillic, I will be co-working with calligrapher Eugene Spizhovy on a Cyrillic extension. I've created a Cyrillic fork here in this repo.

Alexei Vanyashin

Oct 12, 2017, 7:29:05 AM10/12/17
to googlefon...@googlegroups.com
We examined Caps and Small Caps,

There are clear differences in glyphs I J T, like elongated arms in T in Normal, and nudged serifs in I and J. Other glyphs show more similarities.

Normal is a cleaned up version Bold. It is more calm.
Bold is more expressive and chaotic.

gif.gif

Alexei Vanyashin

Oct 13, 2017, 5:05:13 PM10/13/17
to googlefon...@googlegroups.com
Today we started working with the Bold weight since is has more character, and would better define the stylistic.

Here are the first selected traced glyphs:
Screen Shot 2017-10-13 at 11.47.37 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-10-13 at 11.47.43 PM.png

I did a grid test to check the darkness

Screen Shot 2017-10-13 at 11.58.31 PM.png
Same test for Latin

Screen Shot 2017-10-13 at 11.58.35 PM.png
Finally, A PDF is attached with uppercase words test for both Latin and Cyrillic

Screen Shot 2017-10-14 at 12.03.06 AM.png
Latin has a few blobs in /M and /W which are replicated in Cyrillic /К and /Ж.
13-Oct-2017.pdf

Alexei Vanyashin

Oct 18, 2017, 5:36:59 AM10/18/17
to googlefon...@googlegroups.com
Based experience from the previous round Eugene started from scratch, this time using two different instruments for Regular and Bold. I made a new template with both upper- and lowercase sets in order to draw them simultaneously. Here are the result of the second batch.

1.png

Some glyphs in particular are naturally congruent with their Latin counterparts.
5.png
Here is /Б-Bold from first batch next to Regular from 2nd batch. I tried some refinements to better match the Latin style.

2.png
I also tried making a Regular from Bold. It isn't as interesting as having two separate drawings.

3.png

And here is the same letter, this time both Regular and Bold are from Eugene's second batch. It required much less tweaking and has better flow.

4.png

Having all the glyphs (АБВГДЕЁЖЗИЙКМНОРСТХ, абвгдеёжзийкмнорстх) imported in the font I made a text test, they are attached.

/ж is perhaps too dark

darkness.png

So I tried tuning it down.
6.png
Next test is a gif between the two styles. I think it shows that /д in Light needs to be revised. I am going to address this now. And will get back with the next round of glyphs
animation.gif
amatic-batch2-light.pdf
amatic-batch2-bold.pdf

Alexei Vanyashin

Oct 21, 2017, 11:06:27 AM10/21/17
to googlefon...@googlegroups.com
We've added more glyphs required for complete Cyrillic Core support:

1.png
2.png

There were a few problems detected on the grid test:

Screen Shot 2017-10-21 at 2.06.58 PM.png

They were corrected, and I added basic kerning for Cyrillic. Here is a sample of Latin and Cyrillic

Screen Shot 2017-10-21 at 6.54.01 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-10-21 at 6.54.07 PM.png

Cyrillic text tests look good after many fixes.

Screen Shot 2017-10-21 at 7.01.22 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-10-21 at 7.02.54 PM.png

We are ready for the first release of Amatic Cyrillic with Core Cyrillic support. (PR). Next release will support GF Cyrillic Plus, and Pro. Stay tuned.

Alexei Vanyashin

Nov 7, 2017, 1:08:44 PM11/7/17
to googlefon...@googlegroups.com
We are continuing to work on Cyrillic Pro expansion. Here are some major glyphs that were drawn by Eugene:

1.png
The Abkhazian O was particularly challenging, Eugene made another round with similar heights of the o-parts.
2.png
At this stage every glyph in the Cyrillic Pro set has ink but is still far from complete.

3.png

4.png

Yes, there are some contrast issues. This will be resolved in the next iteration.
The next scheduled Amatic SC release will also include a few missing Latin Plus glyphs.

Alexei Vanyashin

Nov 14, 2017, 10:47:26 AM11/14/17
to googlefon...@googlegroups.com
Here are the finals steps on Amatic SC:

I've tried different spacing parameters in HT LetterSpacer until it was a good match for Latin.

300;15;0

300-15.png

400;15;0

400-15.png

550;30;0

550-30.png
600;30;0

600-30.png

The Basic Cyrillic set has also been improved. Here are some of the most evident changes:

Screen Shot 2017-11-14 at 2.39.41 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-11-14 at 2.39.27 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-11-14 at 2.40.22 PM.png

Glyph Ж was still dark in Light.

dark.png
Here are the adjustments on Ж
Screen Shot 2017-11-14 at 2.40.26 PM.png

Cyrillic in body text was too calm against Latin. So I tweaked the verticals a tad. For example, glyph Щ:

 Screen Shot 2017-11-14 at 2.41.16 PM.png

After these adjustments I added basic kerning pairs to the Bold style.

bold kern.png

I then exported the kern strings, and repeated the process for Light:

light kern.png

Version 2.600 with Cyrillic Pro is now waiting to be merged.
— issues #12 #13 were fixed, and also GF Latin Plus is now supported.

Dave Crossland

Nov 14, 2017, 3:26:11 PM11/14/17
to googlefonts-discuss, Charles
Great to see HT LetterSpacer being used!

Charles, would be great to highlight this :)

Cheers
Dave

Alexei Vanyashin

Nov 17, 2017, 3:36:43 PM11/17/17
to googlefon...@googlegroups.com, Charles
I have revised the Cyrillic spacing for each glyph individually, instead of relying on HT LetterSpacer this time. It is more coherent with Latin and generally looser. PRed v2.610 to the git repo.

To achieve this effect the Cyrillic H is now wider than its Latin counterpart and the metrics are looser by 10 units on each side. Similar metrics treatment was applied to other Cyrillic glyphs. This was necessary to visually balance the two scripts.
Screen Shot 2017-11-18 at 12.27.11 AM.png

Amatic-sample.jpgAmatic Condensed.png

Amatic Bold Condensed.png

Caveat-sample2.png

Pablo Impallari

Nov 17, 2017, 4:37:46 PM11/17/17
to googlefonts-discuss, Charles
Hi Alexei,

>> I have revised the Cyrillic spacing for each glyph individually, instead of relying on HT LetterSpacer this time.
>> It is more coherent with Latin and generally looser.

Did you know that you can configure HT LetterSpacer to have different settings (wider, narrower, or whatever you want)  for different subset of glyphs?
In the default configuration file, Latin Uppercase are already 1.2x wider than the latin lowecase.
You can set the Cyrillic caps to 1.4x, or whatever you may like.
It's all explained in https://huertatipografica.github.io/HTLetterspacer/

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Google Fonts Discussions" group.

Un Abrazo
Pablo Impallari

Alexei Vanyashin

Nov 18, 2017, 2:31:56 AM11/18/17
to googlefon...@googlegroups.com, Charles
On Sat, Nov 18, 2017 at 1:37 AM Pablo Impallari <impa...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi Alexei,

>> I have revised the Cyrillic spacing for each glyph individually, instead of relying on HT LetterSpacer this time.
>> It is more coherent with Latin and generally looser.

Did you know that you can configure HT LetterSpacer to have different settings (wider, narrower, or whatever you want)  for different subset of glyphs?
In the default configuration file, Latin Uppercase are already 1.2x wider than the latin lowecase.
You can set the Cyrillic caps to 1.4x, or whatever you may like.
It's all explained in https://huertatipografica.github.io/HTLetterspacer/

Hi Pablo

I have used these settings successfully in other projects. In Amatic I didn't adjust the configuration as I only altered the Cyrillic. I found it hard to achieve good parameters for this irregular handwritten font. After bumping the params to 800;15 is was still too tight, and inconsistent, requiring many post-fixes. I found it easier to manually re-adjust the way I need it. Perhaps the depth parameter was too big, 5 might have worked better. I will try this for Caveat's Cyrillic later.

What do you think about Caveat's current Cyrillic?

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Google Fonts Discussions" group.

Pablo Impallari

Nov 21, 2017, 1:50:25 PM11/21/17
to googlefonts-discuss, Charles
> What do you think about Caveat's current Cyrillic?
Love it!