Proofs!

Aoife Mooney

May 30, 2017, 2:56:03 PM5/30/17
to Google Fonts Discussions, abe...@kent.edu, annarich...@gmail.com, ja...@jasonmurdock.com, ktbar...@gmail.com, natalies...@gmail.com, bumbal...@gmail.com, emilythoma...@gmail.com, josephy...@hotmail.com, dean.sw...@gmail.com
Hi Google Fonts gang =)

Myself and a small team of type design interns are working on a bunch of fonts for update this summer, and to start off with, need to make some proofs for review.

Can anyone direct me to art proofs for each of the full Google Latin Character sets. ie. something like a large showing, then text setting, spacing strings etc.

Or even just some template proofs that we can adapt?

Thanks in advance!

Aoife

Dave Crossland

May 31, 2017, 12:06:43 AM5/31/17
to googlefonts-discuss, abe...@kent.edu, annarich...@gmail.com, ja...@jasonmurdock.com, ktbar...@gmail.com, natalies...@gmail.com, bumbal...@gmail.com, emilythoma...@gmail.com, josephy...@hotmail.com, dean.sw...@gmail.com, Alexei Vanyashin, Kalapi Gajjar-B'owkr, Jacques Le Bailly, Thomas Jockin
Hi

I've CC'd the team from last summer who might be able to point out where on Github their print proofs are :)

Cheers
Dave

Kalapi Gajjar-Bordawekar

May 31, 2017, 12:17:48 AM5/31/17
to Dave Crossland, googlefonts-discuss, abe...@kent.edu, annarich...@gmail.com, ja...@jasonmurdock.com, ktbar...@gmail.com, natalies...@gmail.com, bumbal...@gmail.com, emilythoma...@gmail.com, josephy...@hotmail.com, dean.sw...@gmail.com, Alexei Vanyashin, Jacques Le Bailly, Thomas Jockin
Hello Aoife,

I hope you are well :)

I'm attaching the glyph repertoire proofs for the Google Plus and Pro character-sets. Please note that the default typeface for 'AllCharactersPlus.indd' is Anaheim (latest files on this repo) while the default for 'AllCharactersPro.indd' is Cabin & Cabin Condensed (latest files on this repo). Unfortunately these proofs don't include text setting samples and spacing strings but i'm positive that either Jacques or Thomas can help you out with these!

All the very best!
Kalapi

કલાપી ગજ્જર-બોર્ડવેકર

Typeface Designer & Font Developer > @kalapi

On 30 May 2017 at 14:56, Aoife Mooney <aoife...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi Google Fonts gang =)

Myself and a small team of type design interns are working on a bunch of fonts for update this summer, and to start off with, need to make some proofs for review.

Can anyone direct me to art proofs for each of the full Google Latin Character sets. ie. something like a large showing, then text setting, spacing strings etc.

Or even just some template proofs that we can adapt?

Thanks in advance!

Aoife

Cheers
Dave

GooglePlus_Pro.zip

Dave Crossland

May 31, 2017, 1:06:07 AM5/31/17
to googlefonts-discuss, abe...@kent.edu, annarich...@gmail.com, ja...@jasonmurdock.com, ktbar...@gmail.com, natalies...@gmail.com, bumbal...@gmail.com, emilythoma...@gmail.com, josephy...@hotmail.com, dean.sw...@gmail.com, Alexei Vanyashin, Jacques Le Bailly, Thomas Jockin
Hi

Thank you Kalapi!!

Please could you create a github repo for these? :)

Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/googlefonts-discuss.

Cheers
Dave

Thomas Jockin

May 31, 2017, 9:16:37 AM5/31/17
to Dave Crossland, googlefonts-discuss, abe...@kent.edu, annarich...@gmail.com, ja...@jasonmurdock.com, ktbar...@gmail.com, natalies...@gmail.com, bumbal...@gmail.com, emilythoma...@gmail.com, josephy...@hotmail.com, dean.sw...@gmail.com, Alexei Vanyashin, Jacques Le Bailly
Hi Dave and Aoife,

Here’s my repo for proofs as PDF:

-TJ

Thomas Jockin • Typeface Designer

Next TypeThursday meet-up:
[NYC] June 1st
[LA] June 8th
[SF] June 22nd
https://www.facebook.com/TypeThursday

Upcoming releases on
https://dribbble.com/JockintheBox

Most recent release: Azote
http://www.azotetype.com

@ The Bakery
325 Rutledge St.
Brooklyn, NY 11211

Cell: (631) 466-7135

Jacques Le Bailly

May 31, 2017, 9:38:01 AM5/31/17
to aoife...@gmail.com, Dave Crossland, tho...@thomasjockin.com, googlefonts-discuss, abe...@kent.edu, annarich...@gmail.com, ja...@jasonmurdock.com, ktbar...@gmail.com, natalies...@gmail.com, bumbal...@gmail.com, emilythoma...@gmail.com, josephy...@hotmail.com, dean.sw...@gmail.com, Alexei Vanyashin
Hi Aoife, Dave,

Welcome Aoife. I haven’t had the pleasure to meet you so far, but I am exited to start working with you and your students!

I think my workflow is somewhat different than other designers. I do not use standardized proofs to do kerning.

After I fine-tuned the spacing, I set up a text in Glyphs(app) by using placeholders. This allows me to check the kerning in several contexts at once. To me, kerning is not there to just correct individual problems. The main spacing should always be leading. Otherwise, you might end up with serious rhythm problems.

As an example, for the lowercase I would set up something like:

/l/l/l/l/l/l/l/a/a/l/l/l/l/l/l/
/n/n/n/n/a/placeholder/n/n/n/n/
/o/o/o/o/a/placeholder/o/o/o/o/
/d/d/d/d/a/placeholder/d/d/d/d/

In this sample, I would place my text marker before the second /a in the first line. Then I would go through a-z.

I do that for the most common combinations, like lowercase-lowercase, uppercase-uppercase, uppercase-lowercase, Punctuation-lowercase etc.

I Added a txt file with a list of combinations I used for the Google projects last year. It is not complete, but it will show you some of the most occurring kerning exceptions.

Best regards,
Jacques

Op 31 mei 2017, om 15:16 heeft Thomas Jockin <tho...@thomasjockin.com> het volgende geschreven:

> Hi Dave and Aoife,
>
> Here’s my repo for proofs as PDF:
> https://github.com/ThomasJockin/QuicksandFamily/tree/master/documentation/Proofs
>
> -TJ

>> I've CC'd the team from last summer who might be able to point out where on Github their print proofs are :)
>>
>> On 30 May 2017 at 14:56, Aoife Mooney <aoife...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi Google Fonts gang =)
>>
>> Myself and a small team of type design interns are working on a bunch of fonts for update this summer, and to start off with, need to make some proofs for review.
>>
>> Can anyone direct me to art proofs for each of the full Google Latin Character sets. ie. something like a large showing, then text setting, spacing strings etc.
>>
>> Or even just some template proofs that we can adapt?
>>
>> Thanks in advance!
>>
>> Aoife

B A R O N V O N F O N T H A U S E N
Jacques Le Bailly

M +31 (0)6 45 74 09 13
E fonth...@baronvonfonthausen.com
www.baronvonfonthausen.com

FastKerning.txt

Aoife Mooney

May 31, 2017, 9:42:49 AM5/31/17
to Jacques Le Bailly, Dave Crossland, tho...@thomasjockin.com, googlefonts-discuss, Austyn Benyak, Anna Richard, Jason Murdock, Katie Barnes, Natalie Snodgrass, Sam Bumbalo, Emily Thomas, Joseph Young, Dean Sweetnich, Alexei Vanyashin
Hi Jacques,

Nice to virtually meet you and I’m delighted to get to work on these projects together =)

Thanks! I do the same as you, but I also use printed kerning proofs, organising the glyphs into groups and exhaustively checking them in pairs once I’ve kerned them on screen, as I like to check the impact of scale too, as for me working on screen solely risks me missing something I might see in print. I will collect these as a set of idml proofs later and update with the Google charsets and share in a repo as soon as I can. Feel free to use those when they’re up there =)

Looking forward to working with you too!

> <FastKerning.txt>

Aoife Mooney

May 31, 2017, 2:57:50 PM5/31/17
to googlefon...@googlegroups.com, Dave Crossland, Austyn Benyak, Anna Richard, Jason Murdock, Katie Barnes, Natalie Snodgrass, Sam Bumbalo, Emily Thomas, Joseph Young, Dean Sweetnich, Alexei Vanyashin, Jacques Le Bailly
Thanks Thomas!  =)

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Google Fonts Discussions" group.

Pablo Impallari

Jun 1, 2017, 2:35:28 PM6/1/17
to googlefonts-discuss, Dave Crossland, Austyn Benyak, Anna Richard, Jason Murdock, Katie Barnes, Natalie Snodgrass, Sam Bumbalo, Emily Thomas, Joseph Young, Dean Sweetnich, Alexei Vanyashin, Jacques Le Bailly
I've been collecting text strings and samples in the Testing Page for a few years
http://www.impallari.com/testing/

Suggestions for adding more contents and new tabs are always welcome.

Thanks Thomas!  =)

Hi Dave and Aoife,

Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/googlefonts-discuss.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/googlefonts-discuss/bfec64d3-ccc2-4cca-8c31-1147c1ca8533%40googlegroups.com.