Problem running Hello World GWT app in Tomcat

momchil

Apr 3, 2007, 9:30:37 PM4/3/07
to Google Web Toolkit
Hello everyone,

I am new to GWT, so basically I am trying to run the default Hello
World app that comes with the IntelliJ GWT Plugin. When the
GWTCompiler generates all client files, I can open them in my browser,
and I can see the button I created using GWT, however, when I host the
client html page (and other related files) on my tomcat web container,
my Ajax content does not get displayed, and Tomcat registers an
Exception. I looked at the HTML page of the client, and it seems to be
calling a frame: http://ip.ad.dr.ess/com.mydomain.myGWTModule.nocache.html?0&1175649611196,
which is causing the exception in Tomcat. This might be a quick fix,
but I have no idea how to get this basic GWT app to work. Could anyone
help me? Below is my Tomcat exception:

21:20:11,236 WARN URLTag: Unable to put request parameters
(0&1175649611196) into parameter map.
java.lang.IllegalArgumentException
at javax.servlet.http.HttpUtils.parseQueryString(HttpUtils.java:102)
at com.opensymphony.webwork.views.jsp.URLTag.doStartTag(URLTag.java:
157)
at
org.apache.jsp.decorators.main_jsp._jspx_meth_ww_url_0(main_jsp.java:
154)
at org.apache.jsp.decorators.main_jsp._jspService(main_jsp.java:80)
at org.apache.jasper.runtime.HttpJspBase.service(HttpJspBase.java:97)
at
org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServletWrapper.service(JspServletWrapper.java:
334)
at
org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.serviceJspFile(JspServlet.java:
314)
at org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.service(JspServlet.java:264)
at
org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:
252)
at
org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:
173)
at
org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationDispatcher.invoke(ApplicationDispatcher.java:
672)
at
org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationDispatcher.doInclude(ApplicationDispatcher.java:
574)
at
org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationDispatcher.include(ApplicationDispatcher.java:
499)
at
com.opensymphony.module.sitemesh.filter.PageFilter.applyDecorator(PageFilter.java:
156)
at
com.opensymphony.module.sitemesh.filter.PageFilter.doFilter(PageFilter.java:
59)
at
org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:
202)
at
org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:
173)
at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapperValve.invoke(StandardWrapperValve.java:
213)
at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContextValve.invoke(StandardContextValve.java:
178)
at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHostValve.invoke(StandardHostValve.java:
126)
at
org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorReportValve.invoke(ErrorReportValve.java:
105)
at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngineValve.invoke(StandardEngineValve.java:
107)
at
org.apache.catalina.connector.CoyoteAdapter.service(CoyoteAdapter.java:
148)
at
org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Processor.process(Http11Processor.java:
869)
at org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11BaseProtocol
$Http11ConnectionHandler.processConnection(Http11BaseProtocol.java:
664)
at
org.apache.tomcat.util.net.PoolTcpEndpoint.processSocket(PoolTcpEndpoint.java:
527)
at
org.apache.tomcat.util.net.LeaderFollowerWorkerThread.runIt(LeaderFollowerWorkerThread.java:
80)
at org.apache.tomcat.util.threads.ThreadPool
$ControlRunnable.run(ThreadPool.java:684)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:595)

momchil

Apr 3, 2007, 11:05:31 PM4/3/07
to Google Web Toolkit
Hi,

Just so you know, I was able to fix my problem by moving my compiled
client files from the root to a subfolder in Tomcat. I am not sure why
the problem existed, but I tried to deploy all of the sample GWT
application in tomcat, and none of them worked for me when put in the
root..

Momchil

On Apr 3, 9:30 pm, "momchil" <mkyurkch...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I am new to GWT, so basically I am trying to run the default Hello
> World app that comes with the IntelliJ GWT Plugin. When the
> GWTCompiler generates all client files, I can open them in my browser,
> and I can see the button I created using GWT, however, when I host the
> client html page (and other related files) on my tomcat web container,
> my Ajax content does not get displayed, and Tomcat registers an
> Exception. I looked at the HTML page of the client, and it seems to be

> calling a frame:http://ip.ad.dr.ess/com.mydomain.myGWTModule.nocache.html?0&117564961...,

Jason Essington

Apr 4, 2007, 10:15:11 AM4/4/07
to Google-We...@googlegroups.com
There is some information in the knowledge base about packaging and
deploying GWT applications.
http://code.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=63584&topic=11121
http://code.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=60560&topic=10211

This is a little late in your case, but it may help others understand
packaging and deployment.

-jason