Starting Jetty on port 8888

Z.A Jafari

Nov 20, 2011, 2:35:49 AM11/20/11
to google-we...@googlegroups.com

Hello there,

i am running eclipse indigo. i am new to GWT and suddenly i am not able to run my test app becsue i get this error. how do i restart the jetty server. by the way if i want to use Tomcat instead of Jetty how can i do it.links and tutorials will be appreciated.

 Starting Jetty on port 8888
   [WARN] failed SelectChann...@127.0.0.1:8888
java.net.BindException: Address already in use: bind
 at sun.nio.ch.Net.bind(Native Method)
 at sun.nio.ch.ServerSocketChannelImpl.bind(Unknown Source)
 at sun.nio.ch.ServerSocketAdaptor.bind(Unknown Source)
 at org.mortbay.jetty.nio.SelectChannelConnector.open(SelectChannelConnector.java:205)
 at org.mortbay.jetty.nio.SelectChannelConnector.doStart(SelectChannelConnector.java:304)
 at org.mortbay.component.AbstractLifeCycle.start(AbstractLifeCycle.java:39)
 at org.mortbay.jetty.Server.doStart(Server.java:233)
 at org.mortbay.component.AbstractLifeCycle.start(AbstractLifeCycle.java:39)
 at com.google.gwt.dev.shell.jetty.JettyLauncher.start(JettyLauncher.java:672)
 at com.google.gwt.dev.DevMode.doStartUpServer(DevMode.java:509)
 at com.google.gwt.dev.DevModeBase.startUp(DevModeBase.java:1068)
 at com.google.gwt.dev.DevModeBase.run(DevModeBase.java:811)
 at com.google.gwt.dev.DevMode.main(DevMode.java:311)
   [WARN] failed Server@e19358
[...]
[ERROR] shell failed in doStartupServer method
Port 127.0.0.1:8888 is already is use; you probably still have another session active

Jim Douglas

Nov 20, 2011, 3:35:59 PM11/20/11
to Google Web Toolkit
The clue is right there at the bottom of the stack trace:

Port 127.0.0.1:8888 is already is use; you probably still have another
session active

You'll need to kill the old session before you can start a new one.
(If you're not sure how to do that, try restarting Eclipse.)

On Nov 19, 11:35 pm, "Z.A Jafari" <zjaff...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello there,
>
> i am running eclipse indigo. i am new to GWT and suddenly i am not able to
> run my test app becsue i get this error. how do i restart the jetty server.
> by the way if i want to use Tomcat instead of Jetty how can i do it.links
> and tutorials will be appreciated.
>
>  Starting Jetty on port 8888

>    [WARN] failed SelectChannelConnec...@127.0.0.1:8888

> java.net.BindException: Address already in use: bind
>  at sun.nio.ch.Net.bind(Native Method)
>  at sun.nio.ch.ServerSocketChannelImpl.bind(Unknown Source)
>  at sun.nio.ch.ServerSocketAdaptor.bind(Unknown Source)
>  at
> org.mortbay.jetty.nio.SelectChannelConnector.open(SelectChannelConnector.ja va:205)
>  at

> org.mortbay.jetty.nio.SelectChannelConnector.doStart(SelectChannelConnector .java:304)

>  at org.mortbay.component.AbstractLifeCycle.start(AbstractLifeCycle.java:39)
>  at org.mortbay.jetty.Server.doStart(Server.java:233)
>  at org.mortbay.component.AbstractLifeCycle.start(AbstractLifeCycle.java:39)
>  at
> com.google.gwt.dev.shell.jetty.JettyLauncher.start(JettyLauncher.java:672)
>  at com.google.gwt.dev.DevMode.doStartUpServer(DevMode.java:509)
>  at com.google.gwt.dev.DevModeBase.startUp(DevModeBase.java:1068)
>  at com.google.gwt.dev.DevModeBase.run(DevModeBase.java:811)
>  at com.google.gwt.dev.DevMode.main(DevMode.java:311)
>    [WARN] failed Server@e19358
> java.net.BindException: Address already in use: bind
>  at sun.nio.ch.Net.bind(Native Method)
>  at sun.nio.ch.ServerSocketChannelImpl.bind(Unknown Source)
>  at sun.nio.ch.ServerSocketAdaptor.bind(Unknown Source)
>  at
> org.mortbay.jetty.nio.SelectChannelConnector.open(SelectChannelConnector.ja va:205)
>  at

> org.mortbay.jetty.nio.SelectChannelConnector.doStart(SelectChannelConnector .java:304)

Jim Douglas

Nov 20, 2011, 4:08:06 PM11/20/11
to Google Web Toolkit
And click "view profile" next to your name.

Z.A Jafari

Nov 21, 2011, 2:26:41 AM11/21/11
to google-we...@googlegroups.com

Jim,

Thanks for your comments. what do you mean "And click "view profile" next to your name."

what the error stack says is to restart eclipse,so everytime i face this issue i need to restart eclipse which can become a pain when you are developing codes

Jim Douglas

Nov 21, 2011, 10:52:01 AM11/21/11
to Google Web Toolkit
If you click the "View profile" link next to your name in these
postings, you will see that your account, possibly hijacked by a
virus, is cross-posting your messages to various not-nice groups.

And no, I didn't say that the solution is to restart Eclipse, I said
that's a convenient way to close any active GWT sessions if you can't
figure out how to stop them normally. That's a fallback position; you
would normally click the little red button that stops the session.

Z.A Jafari

Nov 22, 2011, 4:53:10 AM11/22/11
to google-we...@googlegroups.com

Jim, can you please tell me were this view profile is. i was shocked to read that it is cross-posting your messages to various not-nice groups.

Thomas Broyer

Nov 22, 2011, 5:07:56 AM11/22/11
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
You have to use the "old" Google Groups interface (the "Web 1.0" one, not the new one written in GWT)

Z.A Jafari

Nov 22, 2011, 5:31:54 AM11/22/11
to google-we...@googlegroups.com

Thomas,

thanks for it, Jim mentioned that my account has been hijacked and bad links are linked to me.what is this stuff,can you or somebody please clear this for me. i am worried my image is at stake

Z.A Jafari

Nov 22, 2011, 5:33:25 AM11/22/11
to google-we...@googlegroups.com

Oh, using your link i saw i have link to bad groups,how do i get out of these or save myself from this filth

Z.A Jafari

Nov 22, 2011, 5:39:53 AM11/22/11
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
Jim
you mean to say,do i have a virus on my machine

Thomas Broyer

Nov 22, 2011, 5:52:10 AM11/22/11
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
Either that or your Google Account has been hacked.

Z.A Jafari

Nov 22, 2011, 6:09:10 AM11/22/11
to google-we...@googlegroups.com

how could i have been hacked. what do i need to do now to nullify the hack

Jim Douglas

Nov 22, 2011, 10:43:57 AM11/22/11
to Google Web Toolkit
Start by changing your Google password.

Z.A Jafari

Nov 23, 2011, 2:52:29 AM11/23/11
to google-we...@googlegroups.com

Jim,
thanks for your feedback. how do i unregister from those links.can I ??

Jim Douglas

Nov 23, 2011, 10:49:55 AM11/23/11
to Google Web Toolkit
Sorry, I have no idea.