IndexOutOfBoundsException RPC Exception

John

Oct 23, 2008, 2:31:16 PM10/23/08
to Google-We...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I have a web project that is now being built using GWT 1.5.3. The
project has been in development for a few months now and just this
morning started throwing this exception - though I don't recall any
changes that were introduced when the exception started appearing:

13:17:06,752 ERROR [[/admin]] Exception while dispatching incoming RPC call
at java.util.ArrayList.RangeCheck(ArrayList.java:546)
at
com.google.gwt.user.server.rpc.impl.ServerSerializationStreamReader.extract(ServerSerializationStreamReader.java:617)
at
com.google.gwt.user.server.rpc.impl.ServerSerializationStreamReader.readInt(ServerSerializationStreamReader.java:432)
at
com.google.gwt.user.client.rpc.impl.AbstractSerializationStreamReader.prepareToRead(AbstractSerializationStreamReader.java:38)
at
com.google.gwt.user.server.rpc.impl.ServerSerializationStreamReader.prepareToRead(ServerSerializationStreamReader.java:383)
at com.google.gwt.user.server.rpc.RPC.decodeRequest(RPC.java:234)
at
com.google.gwt.user.server.rpc.RemoteServiceServlet.processCall(RemoteServiceServlet.java:163)
at
com.google.gwt.user.server.rpc.RemoteServiceServlet.doPost(RemoteServiceServlet.java:86)
at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:710)
at
at
at
org.jboss.web.tomcat.filters.ReplyHeaderFilter.doFilter(ReplyHeaderFilter.java:96)
at
org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:235)
at
at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapperValve.invoke(StandardWrapperValve.java:230)
at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContextValve.invoke(StandardContextValve.java:175)
at
org.jboss.web.tomcat.security.SecurityAssociationValve.invoke(SecurityAssociationValve.java:182)
at
org.jboss.web.tomcat.security.JaccContextValve.invoke(JaccContextValve.java:84)
at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHostValve.invoke(StandardHostValve.java:127)
at
at
org.jboss.web.tomcat.service.jca.CachedConnectionValve.invoke(CachedConnectionValve.java:157)
at
at
org.apache.catalina.connector.CoyoteAdapter.service(CoyoteAdapter.java:262)
at
org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Processor.process(Http11Processor.java:844)
at
org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Protocol$Http11ConnectionHandler.process(Http11Protocol.java:583)
at
org.apache.tomcat.util.net.JIoEndpoint$Worker.run(JIoEndpoint.java:446)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:613)

The section of code where this is occurring is in the onModuleLoad of
the app, when I add a Composite-derived object to a VerticalPanel. I
know it's this spot as I've added Window.alerts to trace it.

I'm just curious if anyone has any suggestions on how I can troubleshoot
this? I've tried rebuilding, redeploying and clearing the browser cache.

Just for completeness, here is the code I am using that throws the
exception:

private LoginComposite login = new LoginComposite();
private HorizontalPanel page = new HorizontalPanel();
private VerticalPanel view = new VerticalPanel();

public void onModuleLoad() {
// Do some set up stuff...
page.setWidth("100%");
page.setSpacing(10);
page.setHorizontalAlignment(HasHorizontalAlignment.ALIGN_CENTER);

view.setWidth("100%");
view.setHorizontalAlignment(HasHorizontalAlignment.ALIGN_CENTER);

view.add(login); // Exception is thrown here...

// view panel is added to a FlexTable inside createLayout()
page.add(createLayout());
RootPanel.get().add(page);
}

I'm certainly not suggesting that the VerticalPanel object is buggy, but
would like to know what types of errors cause this exception. Thanks
for any, and all, suggestions.

John

Sumit Chandel

Oct 27, 2008, 6:06:13 PM10/27/08
to Google-We...@googlegroups.com
Hi John,

There seems to be something going wrong with RPC calls that are being made at some point in the onModuleLoad() in your entry point class.

RPC problems after an upgrade are usually caused by forgetting to update to the latest GWT JARs in all appropriate places (see below) after making the upgrade, which seems to be the case here.

Double-check to make sure that you've updated all of the following with the newer 1.5.3 JARs:

1) Your project classpath should be updated with the latest gwt-user.jar and gwt-servlet.jar

2) Any -compile and -shell scripts or run configurations have to be updated with the latest GWT 1.5.3 JARs (gwt-user.jar, gwt-dev-<platform>.jar, gwt-servlet.jar)

3) Make sure to update any web servers you're using with the latest gwt-servlet.jar files as well

Hope that helps,
-Sumit Chandel