GWT and Spring - More Generation Options

Christiana Thompson

Jul 9, 2010, 3:06:50 PM7/9/10
to Google Web Toolkit
This week Genuitec and Skyway Software released the second milestone
(M2) of MyEclipse for Spring 8.6, which includes scaffolding for GWT
applications. With this new release, our users can now generate full
ready-to-run GWT applications from a domain model (i.e. DB tables,
Java Beans, or JPA Entities).

As excited as we are about this new feature, we are eager to get
feedback from the GWT community. Some key aspects of our GWT
scaffolding:

- The functionality is based on GWT 2.0.4 (no dependency on early
access or non-GA libraries)
- The generated code is based on current best practices (from last
year's Google I/O session with Ray Ryan and the MVP tutorials from
Chris Ramsdale) and UI Binder
- The GWT RPC services are based on Spring Services, and include
conversion of JPA objects to/from data transfer objects (DTO) that are
optimized for GWT
- The generated applications support both Spring 2.5.x and Spring 3.0

Again, we'd appreciate input and feedback from the GWT community.
Additional information and resources are as follows:

- More Details: http://bit.ly/9ydV0X
- Installer: http://bit.ly/asbbYo
- Tutorial: http://bit.ly/945fK2
- Getting Started Video (5 min): http://bit.ly/cwSawM

anjan bacchu.dev

Jul 12, 2010, 9:20:01 AM7/12/10
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
Hi There,

  Thank you.

Does MyEclipse for Spring 8.6 have support for using Hibernate instead of JPA ?

Thank you,

BR,
~A

Niel

Jul 12, 2010, 9:39:19 AM7/12/10
to Google Web Toolkit
Yes, it does use Hibernate.

The scaffolding functionality of MyEclipse for Spring generates the
GWT front-end integrated with the Spring (Spring/JPA/Hibernate) back-
end application. The back-end is a Spring application that uses
Hibernate as the JPA provider, and the Spring Services (@Service)
provide the RPC interface/services for the GWT front-end. The GWT
front-end (MVP, UI Binder) is generated to call the Spring services.
The GWT portion of the application has no notion of JPA (or even
Spring for that matter). If you are interested in Hibernate without
JPA, the back-end application can be refactored without impacting the
GWT front-end.

I hope that helps.

uses Hibernate as the JPA provider. The gernareGWT application
> > google-web-tool...@googlegroups.com<google-web-toolkit%2Bunsubs cr...@googlegroups.com>
> > .

anjan bacchu.dev

Jul 12, 2010, 9:48:13 AM7/12/10
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
Hi There,

  That helps.

Thank you,

BR,
~A

Stefan Bachert

Jul 12, 2010, 2:13:24 PM7/12/10
to Google Web Toolkit
Hi,

how do you compare your kind of scaffolding with the one of Spring
Roo?
What is similar?
What is different?

Stefan Bachert
http://gwtworld.de

On 9 Jul., 15:06, Christiana Thompson <christiana.thomp...@gmail.com>

Jack

Jul 12, 2010, 3:38:11 PM7/12/10
to Google Web Toolkit
Hello Stefan,

Thanks for the question.

First let me say that I am a fan of the work that is being done by the
Roo and GWT teams. Our goal in releasing additional generative
tooling for Spring has always been to give developers additional
options and capabilities that largely complement the free options
available from SpringSource.

We have a page that highlights some of the key differences in approach
between Roo and MyEclipse for Spring here:
http://www.myeclipseide.com/me4s/faqs/faqs_tool_comparison.php

Specific to GWT, the most important difference for developers to
consider is the GWT version. ME4S supports GWT 2.0.x which is the
current GA version and is based on the best practices presentation
from Ray Ryan at Google I/O 2009. You can find that presentation here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDuhR18-EdM

The Roo integration for GWT is targeted at GWT 2.1 which looks to be a
great set of additions to GWT, however it is still a work in progress.
Most of the low level variances in the code that is generated reflect
the difference in GWT version supported.

Another difference is that ME4S generates code that does not use
separate aspect files or design time annotations . Our goal is to
generate reusable software components from your existing technology
assets like RDBMS tables, WSDL Documents, POJO's or Entities as
quickly as possible giving you options as to which project, source
folder, and package you would like the generated code to go into.

You can review videos of the GWT and other scaffolding options from
ME4S in action here: http://www.youtube.com/user/myeclipseforspring

Finally, we have an option to let you generate JUST the GWT front end
and Service stub without requiring the use of any specific back end
implementation including Spring.

ME4S can start from your existing Java code, WSDL, or RDBMS definition
and generate reusable GWT front end components that are tied to your
data model and which follow a strong MVP / Command pattern. These
components can be mixed and matched together to build more complicated
downstream applications that go beyond CRUD. The Remote Services are
stubbed out to allow you to integrate with the server side technology
of your choice, or you can accept the defaults and let ME4S build out
a layered CRUD backend that includes JPA Entities, DAO’s, and Services
all wired up using Spring.

I hope this helps, but let me know if you would like to have more
detail.

Thanks
Jack Kennedy
Skyway Software

On Jul 12, 2:13 pm, Stefan Bachert <stefanbach...@yahoo.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> how do you compare your kind of scaffolding with the one of Spring
> Roo?
> What is similar?
> What is different?
>
> Stefan Bacherthttp://gwtworld.de

Jack

Aug 11, 2010, 1:56:01 PM8/11/10
to Google Web Toolkit
MyEclipse For Spring (ME4S) 8.6 is now generally available with
support for GWT front end generation as well as Spring back end
generation.

We also posted an article on DZone here: http://java.dzone.com/articles/generating-enterprise-class
You can download the software and get more information here:
http://www.myeclipseide.com/me4s/

We are anxious to get feedback from the GWT community so please let us
know what you think.

Thanks,
Jack

On Jul 12, 3:38 pm, Jack <jack.kenn...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello Stefan,
>
> Thanks for the question.
>
> First let me say that I am a fan of the work that is being done by the
> Roo and GWT teams.  Our goal in releasing additional generative
> tooling forSpringhas always been to give developers additional
> options and capabilities that largely complement the free options
> available from SpringSource.
>
> We have a page that highlights some of the key differences in approach
> between Roo andMyEclipseforSpringhere:http://www.myeclipseide.com/me4s/faqs/faqs_tool_comparison.php
> > > (M2) ofMyEclipseforSpring8.6, which includes scaffolding for GWT
> > > applications.  With this new release, our users can now generate full
> > > ready-to-run GWT applications from a domain model (i.e. DB tables,
> > > Java Beans, or JPA Entities).
>
> > > As excited as we are about this new feature, we are eager to get
> > > feedback from the GWT community.  Some key aspects of our GWT
> > > scaffolding:
>
> > > - The functionality is based on GWT 2.0.4 (no dependency on early
> > > access or non-GA libraries)
> > > - The generated code is based on current best practices (from last
> > > year's Google I/O session with Ray Ryan and the MVP tutorials from
> > > Chris Ramsdale) and UI Binder
> > > - The GWT RPC services are based onSpringServices, and include

Christiana Thompson

Aug 26, 2010, 3:03:16 PM8/26/10
to Google Web Toolkit
For more information on this topic, please join us for a free webinar
on Tuesday, August 31, 2010 at 11:00 AM – 12:00 PM CDT

This webinar deep dives into the new Google Web Toolkit (GWT)
scaffolding options that are available in MyEclipse for Spring 8.6.
We’ll cover the following:

-- How does it work? See how to quickly generate working GWT
applications from existing DB tables, Java Beans and JPA entities in a
matter of minutes.
-- What gets generated? One of the biggest learning curves is
understanding what gets generated – we’ll do a deep dive into the
generated artifacts to help users understand what exactly comes out of
MyEclipse for Spring.
-- How does it compare to other GWT/Flex scaffolding technologies?

Register at https://www2.gotomeeting.com/register/691323002

Attend this webinar if you want to see how MyEclipse for Spring (ME4S)
is delivering unprecedented Rich Internet Application scaffolding
options to the Spring Community.

For developers who are new to GWT, MyEclipse for Spring 8.6 allows
them to quickly create their own contextual examples that they can
then reference while getting up to speed on the new technology.
Meanwhile, developers who are GWT experts can stop worrying about the
boilerplate code, and let MyEclipse for Spring take care of all the
mundane, repetitive tasks.

All webinar registrants will receive a 30 percent discount off of
MyEclipse for Spring – just for registering. Visit
https://www2.gotomeeting.com/register/691323002 to register and get
your coupon code today.

On Aug 11, 1:56 pm, Jack <jack.kenn...@gmail.com> wrote:
> MyEclipse For Spring (ME4S) 8.6 is now generally available with
> support for GWT front endgenerationas well as Spring back endgeneration.
>
> We also posted an article on DZone here:http://java.dzone.com/articles/generating-enterprise-class
> You can download the software and get more information here:http://www.myeclipseide.com/me4s/
>
> We are anxious to get feedback from the GWT community so please let us
> know what you think.
>
> Thanks,
> Jack
>
> On Jul 12, 3:38 pm, Jack <jack.kenn...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > Hello Stefan,
>
> > Thanks for the question.
>
> > First let me say that I am a fan of the work that is being done by the
> > Roo and GWT teams.  Our goal in releasing additional generative
> > tooling forSpringhas always been to give developers additional
> >optionsand capabilities that largely complement the freeoptions
> > available from SpringSource.
>
> > We have a page that highlights some of the key differences in approach
> > between Roo andMyEclipseforSpringhere:http://www.myeclipseide.com/me4s/faqs/faqs_tool_comparison.php
>
> > Specific to GWT, the most important difference for developers to
> > consider is the GWT version.  ME4S supports GWT 2.0.x which is the
> > current GA version and is based on the best practices presentation
> > from Ray Ryan at Google I/O 2009. You can find that presentation here:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDuhR18-EdM
>
> > The Roo integration for GWT is targeted at GWT 2.1 which looks to be a
> > great set of additions to GWT, however it is still a work in progress.
> > Most of the low level variances in the code that is generated reflect
> > the difference in GWT version supported.
>
> > Another difference is that ME4S generates code that does not use
> > separate aspect files or design time annotations .  Our goal is to
> > generate reusable software components from your existing technology
> > assets like RDBMS tables, WSDL Documents, POJO's or Entities as
> > quickly as possible giving youoptionsas to which project, source

Christiana Thompson

Sep 9, 2010, 2:19:56 PM9/9/10
to Google Web Toolkit
In case you missed it, the replay of last week's "MyEclipse for Spring
8.6: Generate GWT and Flex Apps in Minutes" webinar is now available
at http://bit.ly/avsZEj

Thanks,
Christiana

On Aug 26, 3:03 pm, Christiana Thompson