Re: Digest for google-web-toolkit@googlegroups.com - 6 updates in 1 topic

James Tyner

Oct 8, 2021, 1:16:17 PMOct 8
to Google Web Toolkit
@Craig Mitchell. What version of Java SDK do you use with the eclipse 2021 06. I would like to use the eclipse plugin as well. It has been a long time since I worked with GWT.

On Fri, Oct 8, 2021 at 6:02 AM <google-we...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
"pierre...@gmail.com" <pierre...@gmail.com>: Oct 07 07:08AM -0700

Thanks Lofi,
Yes I agree for the future app but I have legacy apps mixing backend using
a plugin (no maven) and gwt with shared classes.
Migrating to maven will be a major change for 0 benefit if even possible.
At least even the path with this funny /src/main/java for maven will make
both part incompatible.
It was easier for me to use an old eclipse version with the 2 plugins and
continue like this until the apps are abandonned.
Pierre
"lofid...@gmail.com" <lofid...@gmail.com>: Oct 07 01:19PM -0700

Yes, it always a problem to migrate... 😅

I've experienced this a long time ago with Ant, which we wanted to move to
Maven. I created a framework to make the migration from Ant to Maven semi
automatically:

https://github.com/crowdcode-de/MoveToMaven

Maybe I would have some time to implement GWT Ant to Maven migration so
that all those old Ant projects can be transformed into the new Maven
structure... Also to separate the "frontend" from the "backend" part (best
practice in GWT).

I'm doing some stuffs in migrations / transformations: new
article: https://bit.ly/AppsMigration 😉

Thanks,
Lofi

pierre...@gmail.com schrieb am Donnerstag, 7. Oktober 2021 um 16:08:37
UTC+2:

Craig Mitchell <ma...@craig-mitchell.com>: Oct 07 04:34PM -0700

My project is very simple, so Maven would be an unnecessary complication
for me. The GWT Eclipse plugin works great. Eclipse 2021-06. Windows 10.

"lofid...@gmail.com" <lofid...@gmail.com>: Oct 08 01:47AM -0700

Actually Maven is not complicated...

A lot more easier than Eclipse Plugin ;-)

... and you'll become independent from Eclipse or you stay with Eclipse and
you have the Maven integration directly in standard Eclipse, no need to
install plugin...

OK, in my case all the webapps are managed with CI / CD, so, this is a
must. But I feel also without this requirement, Maven is just better and
easier than doing the stuff manually in IDE.

My 2 cents ;-)

Craig Mitchell schrieb am Freitag, 8. Oktober 2021 um 01:34:18 UTC+2:

Craig Mitchell <ma...@craig-mitchell.com>: Oct 08 03:46AM -0700

A lot easier then going
here http://gwt-plugins.github.io/documentation/gwt-eclipse-plugin/Download.html,
dragging and dropping the install button, and clicking confirm? I really
don't think so. ;-)

I have used Maven in projects. It's sometimes great, but often not.
Things like it caching the fact that it couldn't find a library, so when
you correct the artifactory, it still says it can't find it, because you
have to clear its cache (which is a nightmare of searching through this
massive .m2 directory). And you have to explicitly tell it it's okay to
get a snapshot library. And don't get me started on the fact that they
didn't even bother creating an installer for it on Windows, you have to
extract the zip, and add the directory to your path manually. *maven rant
over*

Michael Conrad <m.conr...@gmail.com>: Oct 08 07:26AM -0400

I vote for Gradle.

On Fri, Oct 8, 2021 at 6:47 AM Craig Mitchell <ma...@craig-mitchell.com>