GWT 2.5 and IBM JVM problems

Adolfo Panizo Touzon

Aug 28, 2012, 11:37:19 AM8/28/12
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

Someone can update us about the problems with GWT 2.5 and IBM JVM??

Related posts:

Any news are very welcome...

Thanks in advance,

Adolfo.
--
El precio es lo que pagas. El valor es lo que recibes.
Warren Buffet

Brian Slesinsky

Aug 28, 2012, 2:30:36 PM8/28/12
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
Nobody is currently working on it. Perhaps someone should rebuild GWT using the IBM JDK to see if that's the issue. Setting serialVersionUID in all the Serializable compiler classes seems like a reasonable idea except that I wonder why removing the gwtar files didn't help? There shouldn't be incompatibilities for serialized object created and used in the same JVM.

- Brian

Daniel Kurka

Aug 28, 2012, 4:17:06 PM8/28/12
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
I still don`t really get the issue since this is only an issue while developing GWT (am I right?)

As far as I know the jars we are packing (gwt-servlet,...) do not depend on a certain JVM.
Can people who need an IBM JVM running for their servers not simply use the -noserver option with an Oracle JDK?

-Daniel

Thomas Broyer

Aug 28, 2012, 4:45:42 PM8/28/12

On Tuesday, August 28, 2012 10:17:41 PM UTC+2, Daniel Kurka wrote:
I still don`t really get the issue since this is only an issue while developing GWT (am I right?)

As far as I know the jars we are packing (gwt-servlet,...) do not depend on a certain JVM.
Can people who need an IBM JVM running for their servers not simply use the -noserver option with an Oracle JDK?

No, it's an issue when compiling with the GWT Compiler while processing the gwtar files packaged in the gwt-user.jar (see issue 7530).
And the Oracle JDK is apparently not an option on some OSes (see the thread in gwt-steering)
Moreover, the fix seems to be rather simple: follow java.io.Serializable contract and provide an explicit serialVersionUID (and make sure we change it whenever we modify the classes)

Brian Slesinsky

Aug 28, 2012, 6:08:45 PM8/28/12
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
I talked to Ray a bit about this. We'd like to avoid setting serialVersionUID manually since it's another maintenance chore and we're sure to forget. We aren't doing long-term persistence, so the default way that serialVersionUID works should ensure that we rebuild gwttar whenever necessary. But perhaps this needs to be rebuilt when using IBM's JDK?

I also don't understand why removing the gwtar file doesn't solve the problem. Something else is going on.

- Brian

Adolfo Panizo Touzon

Aug 29, 2012, 9:27:03 AM8/29/12
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
I am really impressed about your comments. Really smart people.

Keep doing in that way.

I've tried both ways to solve the problem, and the first one (including the serialVersionUID), I had some problems (maybe I made some mistakes).

But with the second solution, compiling gwt with IBM's JVM is working! :)

I have to do more tests, but right know all looks fine.

For people that are having these problem just tell one thing, you should use the jdk that is included in RAD (I've tried to download manually from the web page and for Windows the latest version is 1.4 :O ).

Really thanks,

Adolfo.

Adolfo Panizo Touzon

Aug 29, 2012, 12:29:31 PM8/29/12
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
I can confirm that there is no problem.

All is working fine.

If someone wants the compiled code, just send me an email.

Regards,

Adolfo.

Edgar Zamora

Jan 25, 2013, 1:15:02 PM1/25/13
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
Hi Adolfo

I need to use the GWT 2.5 with an IBM JVM.
Can you please copy me the binaries? (And preferable the steps to get and recompile the code)
Adolfo.

Adolfo.

2012/8/28 Brian Slesinsky <skyb...@google.com>

El precio es lo que pagas. El valor es lo que recibes.
Warren Buffet

Thomas Broyer

Jan 25, 2013, 2:09:00 PM1/25/13
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
IIRC, there's an issue open in the tracker with a workaround (a system property to ignore the gwtar files)

Martin Pain

Mar 11, 2014, 7:41:40 AM3/11/14
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
For others' reference, the issue is: http://code.google.com/p/google-web-toolkit/issues/detail?id=7530

The workaround for most people seems to be:
1. Delete the gwt-unitCache directory (irrespective of your JDK)
2. Use the -Dgwt.usearchives=false jvm argument on the compiler (if using the IBM JDK). In Ant this would be:
    <jvmarg value="-Dgwt.usearchives=false" />