Compiling gwt on Mac ?

stuckagain

Mar 22, 2023, 4:21:42 AM3/22/23
to GWT Contributors
Is it possible to compile GWT on a Mac ? Is it mandatory to use Java 8, that version is no longer available.

I have Java 11 installed, but I get the following error:

compile:

    [mkdir] Created dir: /Users/me/Projects/gwt/build/out/build_tools/doctool/bin

    [javac] Compiling 10 source files to /Users/me/Projects/gwt/build/out/build_tools/doctool/bin

    [javac] -Xbootclasspath/p is no longer a supported option.

    [javac] Error: Could not create the Java Virtual Machine.

    [javac] Error: A fatal exception has occurred. Program will exit.

Jens

Mar 22, 2023, 5:25:48 AM3/22/23
to GWT Contributors
Doctool hasn't been updated yet, see: https://github.com/gwtproject/gwt/pull/9780

You can install Java 8 for Mac x86 using https://adoptium.net/de/temurin/releases/?version=8

If you use a Mac with Apple Silicon and don't want to install Rosetta 2 you would need to install Java 8 from a different vendor, e.g. Azul Zulu or Amazon Corretto 8 (also available via brew.sh). Or you make/use a Docker image with Java 8 + ANT (+ Maven if you want to push the build to a corporate repository), mount the GWT SDK + Tools repositories and compile inside the container.

-- J.

Colin Alworth

Mar 22, 2023, 8:23:43 AM3/22/23
to GWT Contributors
That patch is delayed since it turns out there are some tests that rely on specific behavior from the JVM - a few JPMS violations in legacy dev mode, and apparently Annotation.toString() changed slightly breaking a few other tests. I think it is just about ready, but each round of testing takes a few hours, so it is hard to get it done in one sitting.

But it will produce working output, including docs, if you want to use it to build a GWT SDK locally.

David Nouls

Mar 22, 2023, 9:04:03 AM3/22/23
to GWT Contributors
I managed to find a jdk 8 for my system and the build works. Thanks for the quick response.