Save the Wave

Hemant Shah

Aug 5, 2010, 11:52:45 AM8/5/10
to google-...@googlegroups.com
Wave is such a bold and innovative concept, it deserves to be saved.

I hope Google realizes:
  1. Wave has not yet reached the maturity status to get the traction from users that they expect. Given some more time and community participation, it will become a killer service.
  2. Wave is an idea ahead of its time. It is unfair to expect it to compete with other social network and gaming platforms kind of efforts. It is certainly not in the same category as Buzz, Twitter or Facebook. So to say that "...but Buzz is there" is not fair. Its real value is in a providing a new way of collaboration and returns will most likely come from enterprise applications.
  3. Wave could be Google's real contribution as compared to some initiatives of "me too" kind that it has launched recently. Innovations like Wave can only succeed with support of a visionary company, like Google. I hope they have not surrendered completely to the agenda of the suits and still have the resolve to pursue great ideas.

I would suggest the following options to Google, in the order of desirability:
  1. Continue along the existing road map
  2. Scale down Wave investments, with fewer people actively working on it
  3. Share all Wave related code, including the production server, with the community under an open source license. Let some of the existing Wave engineers steward the open source effort.

I think we should petition Google to rethink its fate.

Regards,

Hemant

Hemant Shah M.D., M. Surg.
Senior Research Informatician

Henry Ford Health System
1 Ford Place
Detroit, MI 48202 United States

Call me on Google Voice!

LinkedIn Profile
Email: pro...@gmail.com

Websites:
Proteus
Proteus Open Source Project

-TJ

Aug 5, 2010, 3:02:03 PM8/5/10
to Google Wave API
I completely agree. But what should we do?

Hemant Shah

Aug 5, 2010, 4:50:08 PM8/5/10
to google-...@googlegroups.com, -TJ
TJ,

I just created an online petition. You can visit: http://www.change.org/petitions/view/save_the_wave and add your support for it.

You can also embed the widget for the petition on your websites or blogs by using the following code:

Please pass this around to all those who believe Wave needs to be saved.

I trust the Googlers on this forum will pass on the information about the petition to the decision makers in Google.

Regards,

Hemant

Hemant Shah M.D., M. Surg.
Senior Research Informatician

Henry Ford Health System
1 Ford Place
Detroit, MI 48202 United States

Call me on Google Voice!

LinkedIn Profile
Email: pro...@gmail.com

Websites:
Proteus
Proteus Open Source Project

gv.png
icon_in_blue_14x14.gif

AkiRoss

Aug 6, 2010, 6:47:49 AM8/6/10
to Google Wave API
On Aug 5, 9:02 pm, -TJ <tjra...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I completely agree. But what should we do?

Maybe just starting a community site, like on google code, and start
saving all the knowledge that may disappear when google shuts down
wave at the end of the year.
There are many resources and projects started which may become
essential for continuing wave.
What I think are the priorities:
* start a community site for development and resources,
* fix quickly any issue with the current protocols - if any - for both
server and client, bugs are fixed with time
* develop a server, as google didn't released any AFAIK (like
http://code.google.com/p/pygowave-server/ can be a good start)
* develop client API

Clients will born as API get usable. I don't think that having a fully-
featured web client is an immediate need. First of all, data sharing
and framework pervasiveness is to be developed.

Well, I've not much time to work on this, but I'll be glad to help.

~Aki

Prasad Velagaleti

Aug 6, 2010, 11:25:29 AM8/6/10
to google-...@googlegroups.com
It says the time period to sign the petition has ended.

Actually, I am wondering if Google hasnt thought of including wave in "Google Me".
It would be a killer.

For eg :

1) Users login Google Me and should be provided a tab "Wave". If one wants to schedule a trip or party or something, they could just add the friends, add a map gadget and specify location.   They can even watch where their friends are on the map using Google Latitude, if they are running late.  (Android phones could come bundled with Latitude on by default)

The Wave when shared with the friends shows up in the activity feed.

2) Facebook feed is good, but there is no real-time aspect to it.   Imagine if in "Google Me", two friends are playing chess on Wave.  The other friends can simply watch or suggest moves as the game progresses.  This is much more interesting/captivating/entertaining instead of playing "FarmVille" and letting friends know that you found a lonely cat.

Developers can build wave games using opensocial.

They can find enough usecases if they seriously think through it.

-Prasad

Hemant Shah

Aug 6, 2010, 12:26:29 PM8/6/10
to google-...@googlegroups.com

Thanks for pointing out the problem with the petition. I had just accepted the defaults in creating the petition, which gives the duration of just one day (guess there are some causes that can be accomplished in a day). I am terribly sorry for this omission.

I have now changed the end date to allow everyone to show their support.

Please do not forget to forward the petition to your friends, user groups through Twitter, Buzz, Facebook etc.  I have included a draft message for your friends below. I have also included the code to include the gadget on your website/blog.

With your support and technical savvy, I am sure we can collect thousands of signatures.

- Hemant

-----------draft email -------------------------------->

Hey everyone,

I wanted to see if I could get your quick help. We just started a petition on Change.org titled "Save the Wave!", and would love your support. You can sign the petition in less than 30 seconds by clicking the link below:

www.change.org/petitions/view/save_the_wave

Thanks so much for the help!

{your name}

------- Embed Gadget on your website/blog --------->

Hemant Shah

Aug 8, 2010, 2:25:11 AM8/8/10
to google-...@googlegroups.com
I just wrote a blog post making a case for Google Wave as a valuable platform for healthcare systems: http://proteme.org/blog/2010/google-wave-worth-saving-for-health-systems/

I urge you to write similar posts on your own blogs or on other forums stating why you think Google Wave is worth saving.

Regards,

Hemant

Hemant Shah M.D., M. Surg.
Senior Research Informatician

Henry Ford Health System
1 Ford Place
Detroit, MI 48202 United States

Call me on Google Voice!

LinkedIn Profile
Email: pro...@gmail.com

Websites:
Proteus
Proteus Open Source Project

fred trotter

Aug 10, 2010, 4:10:35 AM8/10/10
to google-wave-api
I agree and for the same reasons. Google Wave is a great idea. At least they should consider Open Sourcing it, as was their commitment...

-FT
Fred Trotter
http://www.fredtrotter.com
icon_in_blue_14x14.gif
gv.png

Lennard de Rijk

Sep 2, 2010, 11:16:59 PM9/2/10
to Google Wave API
Hi Fred,

On Aug 10, 6:10 pm, fred trotter <fred.trot...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I agree and for the same reasons. Google Wave is a great idea. At least they
> should consider Open Sourcing it, as was their commitment...

The protocol itself has always been developed in the open [0] together
with a basic server implementation for it.

Greetings,
Lennard

[0] http://www.waveprotocol.org/

Vikram P

Sep 3, 2010, 4:54:43 AM9/3/10
to google-...@googlegroups.com

Hi all,

Is google at least going to have server running which would continue to provide wave services? I think people can really use the service to build some innovative stuff.

Regards,
Vikram

Troy Wisniewski

Sep 13, 2010, 6:01:11 PM9/13/10
to google-...@googlegroups.com
its probably already been said
but yes Google will keep the server up

Troy Wisniewski

Nov 13, 2010, 9:55:14 AM11/13/10
to google-...@googlegroups.com
Never mind I guess they are shutting the servers down by the end of the year.  This is a bummer seeing as  I still use the service

\x00

Nov 14, 2010, 4:35:14 AM11/14/10
to Google Wave API
patience is a virtue.

There is little point in dragging out gwave. The wave future is open.

Matt Richards

Nov 14, 2010, 12:46:00 PM11/14/10
to google-...@googlegroups.com
There is certainly a future on the open source side of Wave..

On Sun, Nov 14, 2010 at 3:35 AM, \x00 <dt01p...@yahoo.com> wrote:
patience is a virtue.

There is little point in dragging out gwave. The wave future is open.

--Matt

TJ Rana

Dec 17, 2010, 4:16:16 PM12/17/10
to google-...@googlegroups.com
The end of the year is coming... This is not good...
This is not good...