Google Charts V42 Release Candidate Pushed: April 16, 2015

Daniel LaLiberte

Apr 16, 2015, 5:12:55 PM4/16/15
to google-c...@googlegroups.com, google-visua...@googlegroups.com, google-char...@googlegroups.com
We have pushed a new Google Charts Release Candidate (RC) - V42.   This should start to be available within a couple hours.

Candidate release date: April 16, 2015

Anticipated production release date: as soon as May 4, but not before a frozen V41 is available.

Please test this candidate release by changing your google.load() calls to load "1.1" instead of "1" or "1.0".  If this works for you, great.  If you find problems, please report your issues in this forum: google-visua...@googlegroups.com.

Sometime before the production release, we will make available to you a way for you to switch your loading of the production version (which you get when you load "1" or "1.0") to be able to load a frozen version of V41.  So if V42 doesn't work for you, and we can't resolve the issues in time, you will be able to continue using V41.

New features / bugs fixed:

Summary of changes for v42:

  • Corecharts:

    • ColumnChart, BarChart, AreaChart, and SteppedAreaChart now support isStacked: ‘percent’ (for scaling to 100% of data for each category) and isStacked: ‘relative’ (for scaling to the range 0..1)

    • For all corecharts, the default baseline for axes will no longer be at the edge of the chart.  The default baseline value of 0 will be used for numeric axes, but for backward compatibility with existing charts, it won’t automatically be included in the chart unless it is “close enough” to the data.  You can force inclusion of the baseline just by adding baseline: 0 to your options.  For date and datetime axes, there is no default baseline, but you can specify one if you would like.

    • Corechart legends use line, area, and point style corresponding to each series.

    • All text options for corecharts now support opacity.

    • The webfont loader will be used to load unknown fonts, which could cause your chart drawing to be delayed.  Font names are case-insensitive.

    • Startup animation now works with DataViews, and when combined with the async drawing mode.

    • Fix clearChart, when used before the chart was first drawn.

    • ‘pointsVisible’ option for top-level, series, and trendlines. This option controls whether points should be visible by default. This allows you to change the pointSize while keeping the points hidden.

    • HTML tooltip position is fixed.

  • Sankey:

    • You can now select nodes. This can be enabled via ‘sankey.node.interactivity’: true

    • Adding the ability to specify Sankey interactivity via the chart options. Options are generally specified under the style of whatever is being specified, by adding an object with modified style attributes at one of the following keys: 'selected', 'focused', 'unselected', 'unfocused'.

    • Colors

      • Sankey now supports the ‘style’ role

      • Nodes can now be colored uniquely by setting the option ‘sankey.node.colorMode’: ‘unique’

      • Links can now be colored. The coloring mode can be changed by the option ‘sankey.link.colorMode’. Valid values are:

        • ‘unique’—each link gets its own color.

        • ‘source’—each link uses the color of its source node.

        • ‘target’—each link uses the color of its target node.

        • ‘gradient’—each link is colored by a gradient that goes from the color of its source node to the color of its target node.

        • NOTE: If node coloring is set to the default or the palettes for nodes and links are different, ‘source’, ‘target’, and ‘gradient’ will use the colors that would be assigned to the nodes if the colorMode was ‘unique’ and links and nodes shared a palette.

      • The color palette for the nodes may now be changed via ‘sankey.node.colors’

      • The color palette for the links may now be changed via ‘sankey.link.colors’

    • Default tooltips (both HTML and SVG) can now be generated by links and custom tooltips are supported via the ‘tooltip’ role

  • Timeline:

    • SVG tooltips are now supported.

    • Custom tooltips now supported.

    • colors will cycle if more are required than available.

  • Calendar

    • SVG tooltips are now supported.

    • Custom tooltips now supported.

  • Trendlines - pointsVisible option.

  • Table chart

    • “width” and “height” options may either be unspecified, meaning the table should shrink as much as possible, or ‘100%’, meaning the table should expand as much as possible.

    • Removed duplicate table used for frozen table header.

    • Frozen columns, useful when you have more columns than will fit within available width.  E.g. the leftmost 2 columns may be frozen with “frozenColumns”: 2.

    • Specify the number of paging buttons with the “pagingButtons”: # option.  The number of rows per page will be based on that, unless you also specify the
      “pageSize” option.

    • “rtlTable” now works with paging or scrolling, but not (yet) with frozenColumns.

    • Renamed some css classes (e.g. ‘content’) to avoid conflicts.

  • Material charts (Bar, Line, and Scatter, so far):

    • Better support for date, datetime, and timeofday axes.

    • Fix sizing problems with multiple charts on the same page.

    • May now be used with ChartWrapper.

  • AnnotationChart:

    • Fixes for selecting annotations and color of range selector.

    • Allow AnnotationChart to specify order of annotations table, using table.sortAscending option.

  • Map

    • A set of coordinates is no longer ignored if its latitude/longitude values are 0

--
dlaliberte@Google.com   5CC, Cambridge MA
daniel.laliberte@GMail.com 9 Juniper Ridge Road, Acton MA

Jean-Rémi Delteil

Apr 17, 2015, 6:32:06 AM4/17/15
to google-visua...@googlegroups.com, google-c...@googlegroups.com, google-char...@googlegroups.com
For the Awesome Table project, so far here are what I've run into :
  • Table Chart
    • new background color for pages forward/backward arrow : correction done
And that is all as far we are concerned ! Good job !

Jean-Rémi Delteil

On Thursday, 16 April 2015 23:12:55 UTC+2, Daniel LaLiberte wrote:
We have pushed a new Google Charts Release Candidate (RC) - V42.   This should start to be available within a couple hours.

Candidate release date: April 16, 2015

Anticipated production release date: as soon as May 4, but not before a frozen V41 is available.

Please test this candidate release by changing your google.load() calls to load "1.1" instead of "1" or "1.0".  If this works for you, great.  If you find problems, please report your issues in this forum: google-visualization-api@googlegroups.com.

Khrys

Apr 17, 2015, 7:13:14 AM4/17/15
to google-visua...@googlegroups.com, google-c...@googlegroups.com, google-char...@googlegroups.com
I like the Weight for the Sankey Chart! Thanks.

Daniel LaLiberte

Apr 17, 2015, 4:14:21 PM4/17/15
to google-visua...@googlegroups.com, google-c...@googlegroups.com, google-char...@googlegroups.com
Good to hear V42 is working for a few people.  It would be reassuring to have more people test their pages with V42 by loading "1.1".

I am particularly concerned that the Table chart is behaving as expected, given the surprises of V41, and since I made a lot more changes under the covers for V42.  Also, the tick generation, especially for Area, Column, and Bar charts is different, and hopefully better in all cases.

We know about a problem with using log scale that should be fixed early next week.

On Fri, Apr 17, 2015 at 7:13 AM, Khrys <khry...@gmail.com> wrote:
I like the Weight for the Sankey Chart! Thanks.

rashmani

Apr 18, 2015, 12:21:40 PM4/18/15
to google-visua...@googlegroups.com, google-c...@googlegroups.com, google-char...@googlegroups.com
Hi there,

custom (HTML) tooltips for timeline charts seem not working. Details:
- I'm loading version "1.1"
- I'm setting an additional column (in PHP) for timeline's data table like this, in bold:
            $tl_series[] = array(
                array('type'=>'string', 'id'=>'Date'),
                array('type'=>'string', 'id'=>'Pax'),
                array('type'=>'date', 'id'=>'Start'),
                array('type'=>'date', 'id'=>'End'),
                array('type'=>'string', 'role' => 'tooltip', 'p' => array('html' => true)),
                );
- I'm setting respective column value with very simple HTML
- I'm enabling HTML tooltip in chart like this
                    'options' => array(
                        'tooltip' => array(
                            'isHtml' => true,
                            ),
- same setting works fine for other charts
- everything else works fine
- tooltips look the same as in previous version

Is this tooltip setting correct for timeline charts too or...?

Thanks,
rash*

Il giorno venerdì 17 aprile 2015 22:14:21 UTC+2, Daniel LaLiberte ha scritto:
Good to hear V42 is working for a few people.  It would be reassuring to have more people test their pages with V42 by loading "1.1".

I am particularly concerned that the Table chart is behaving as expected, given the surprises of V41, and since I made a lot more changes under the covers for V42.  Also, the tick generation, especially for Area, Column, and Bar charts is different, and hopefully better in all cases.

We know about a problem with using log scale that should be fixed early next week.
On Fri, Apr 17, 2015 at 7:13 AM, Khrys <khry...@gmail.com> wrote:
I like the Weight for the Sankey Chart! Thanks.

dlali...@Google.com   5CC, Cambridge MA
daniel.l...@GMail.com 9 Juniper Ridge Road, Acton MA

Jean-Rémi Delteil

Apr 20, 2015, 11:11:32 AM4/20/15
to google-visua...@googlegroups.com, google-char...@googlegroups.com, google-c...@googlegroups.com
I had to report a detail on the Timeline chart,
It was also here on the previous version V41 (some days ago), and it's still here on the  V42 release candidate.
When the Timeline is displayed with an overflow, the position of the tooltip is off : it get pushed at the bottom of the frame.

You can test this on this page : Timeline with overflow

Jean-Rémi Delteil

On Thursday, 16 April 2015 23:12:55 UTC+2, Daniel LaLiberte wrote:
dlali...@Google.com   5CC, Cambridge MA
daniel.l...@GMail.com 9 Juniper Ridge Road, Acton MA

Daniel LaLiberte

Apr 20, 2015, 11:41:41 AM4/20/15
to google-visua...@googlegroups.com, google-char...@googlegroups.com, google-c...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jean-Rémi,

Which browser are you using?  I am not seeing any problem with the tooltips in Chrome on Linux.

dlaliberte@Google.com   5CC, Cambridge MA
daniel.laliberte@GMail.com 9 Juniper Ridge Road, Acton MA

Jean-Rémi Delteil

Apr 20, 2015, 12:26:31 PM4/20/15
to google-visua...@googlegroups.com, google-c...@googlegroups.com, google-char...@googlegroups.com
Hi Daniel,

I'm using Firefox & Chrome on Window 8, last version both.

Follow a capture of the problem.
First : no problem :

Then, once you have scrolled down :

I hope the image are not too big !

On Thursday, 16 April 2015 23:12:55 UTC+2, Daniel LaLiberte wrote:
dlali...@Google.com   5CC, Cambridge MA
daniel.l...@GMail.com 9 Juniper Ridge Road, Acton MA

Daniel LaLiberte

Apr 20, 2015, 12:48:37 PM4/20/15
to google-visua...@googlegroups.com, google-c...@googlegroups.com, google-char...@googlegroups.com
I see the problem now, even in Chrome on Linux.  Thanks.   Just needed to know what I was looking for.

dlaliberte@Google.com   5CC, Cambridge MA
daniel.laliberte@GMail.com 9 Juniper Ridge Road, Acton MA

Khrys

Apr 22, 2015, 9:12:40 PM4/22/15
to google-visua...@googlegroups.com, google-char...@googlegroups.com, google-c...@googlegroups.com
I know this isn't the right place, actually I fired a feature request to have more control for the height in timeline. It is sad I cannot control it and have to navigate vertically in most of cases. Do you guys think this is somewhere in a list to come? Thanks.
dlali...@Google.com   5CC, Cambridge MA
daniel.l...@GMail.com 9 Juniper Ridge Road, Acton MA

Daniel LaLiberte

Apr 23, 2015, 8:51:15 AM4/23/15
to google-visua...@googlegroups.com, google-char...@googlegroups.com, google-c...@googlegroups.com
Patrike,

We would like to provide more features like what you are requesting, more general across all the charts, but this is difficult to do with the current code base.  As we redevelop charts, we will keep this goal in mind.

dlaliberte@Google.com   5CC, Cambridge MA
daniel.laliberte@GMail.com 9 Juniper Ridge Road, Acton MA

Khrys

Apr 23, 2015, 10:23:35 AM4/23/15
to google-visua...@googlegroups.com, google-c...@googlegroups.com, google-char...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Daniel. I really appreciate your work.

With the new version, how can I get only one color in sankey? I tried the colorMode: unique but couldn't get this to work.

Thanks.

Sergey

Apr 23, 2015, 10:37:21 AM4/23/15
to google-visua...@googlegroups.com, google-char...@googlegroups.com, google-c...@googlegroups.com
Rashmani,

For timeline, the 'tooltip' column comes after the label column (the second column). Here is an example of using it: http://jsfiddle.net/3zcouffh/

Also, please be aware that we currently have a bug where the tooltip column doesn't work when you just have the label column (and no row label column).

Sergey

Apr 23, 2015, 10:43:16 AM4/23/15
to google-visua...@googlegroups.com, google-c...@googlegroups.com, google-char...@googlegroups.com
Hi Khrys,

colorMode: 'unique' will assign a unique color for each node. It is, in fact, now the default, so setting that option won't do anything. I can see how this is somewhat confusing, but you have to set the colorMode to 'category' in order to get a single color for all nodes, and then you have to specify the color you want in the 'colors' option. The reason for this is that each node is implicitly assigned a category, but since there's no way to specify a node's category, all nodes just get assigned the same category. Eventually we'll expose some method of assigning node categories, but that will require us to support passing in multiple data tables to Sankey.

Here is a jsfiddle I made that does what (I think) you want: https://jsfiddle.net/o9vc6yzy/1/

rashmani

Apr 23, 2015, 11:40:11 AM4/23/15
to google-visua...@googlegroups.com, google-c...@googlegroups.com, google-char...@googlegroups.com
Hi Sergey,

thanks a lot! I'm creating both labels so it should be fine.

Cheers,
rash*

Khrys

Apr 23, 2015, 11:44:06 AM4/23/15
to google-visua...@googlegroups.com, google-c...@googlegroups.com, google-char...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Sergey. You did it!

Khrys

Apr 23, 2015, 11:49:36 AM4/23/15
to google-visua...@googlegroups.com, google-char...@googlegroups.com, google-c...@googlegroups.com
Hi again.

I am texting 1.1 with some other charts I have, so I tried to use custom tooltips in calendar, just to change the fontName and fontSize. Can you please confirm if I can do this?
Suggestion: Create a jsfiddle in Calendar page, like the sankey.

Thanks again

On Thursday, April 16, 2015 at 6:12:55 PM UTC-3, Daniel LaLiberte wrote:
dlali...@Google.com   5CC, Cambridge MA
daniel.l...@GMail.com 9 Juniper Ridge Road, Acton MA

Sergey Grabkovsky

Apr 23, 2015, 12:02:57 PM4/23/15
to google-visua...@googlegroups.com, google-char...@googlegroups.com, google-c...@googlegroups.com
Unless you intend to highlight a part of your text in a larger font, or something, you should be able to change the fontName and fontSize without using custom tooltips by using the tooltip.textStyle.{fontName,fontSize} options. Here is an example of that: http://jsfiddle.net/09bvey10/

If you insist on using custom tooltips, here is an example of that: http://jsfiddle.net/09bvey10/1/

Note that the second example on has one custom tooltip (for April 13th), and is otherwise the same as the first example.

Khrys

Apr 23, 2015, 12:27:39 PM4/23/15
to google-visua...@googlegroups.com, google-char...@googlegroups.com, google-c...@googlegroups.com
Thanks again.

As a suggestion for sankey: for example: https://jsfiddle.net/o9vc6yzy/1/ should be a way to show the total weight for the node A (18), X(7)... and so on just like the way you do in the link.

The latest updates are really welcome. Next i will try with by table chart.

PippoNippo

Apr 23, 2015, 12:45:11 PM4/23/15
to google-visua...@googlegroups.com
Khrys, dunno if you have different outcome, but setting 'height' in options works for my timeline charts (I even set height programmaticaly based on number of rows).

rash*

Khrys

Apr 23, 2015, 1:18:43 PM4/23/15
to google-visua...@googlegroups.com
Rash, the height in pixels work. My scenario needs height in %, like 100% and it does not work. Thanks for the reply.

Khrys

Apr 23, 2015, 1:21:04 PM4/23/15
to google-visua...@googlegroups.com, google-char...@googlegroups.com, google-c...@googlegroups.com
One more question about Sankey: https://jsfiddle.net/Khrys/o9vc6yzy/3/

Trying to use the fillOpacity option, but I could not see any different. I set 0.1 and 0.9, the result was the same.

Thanks.

Sergey Grabkovsky

Apr 23, 2015, 1:37:12 PM4/23/15
to google-visua...@googlegroups.com, google-char...@googlegroups.com, google-c...@googlegroups.com