Masking Loader.js References for Firewall

Dennis Frolov

Feb 17, 2023, 12:27:18 PM2/17/23
to Google Visualization API
Hey all,

On our website, we use the Google Charts API for different pages, and it works great! Thank you for making it.
However one of our Clients has very strict firewall settings, and this is causing the Charts to not show up.

We have a local version of Loader.js, but within Loader.js there are references to site such as:
maps.googleapis.com
maps-api-ssl.google.com

Is it possible to mask the URL so that our Client only has to whitelist the masked address, and then replace the above references in Loader.js to the respective masked address?

We tried a test run of doing this, but it resulted in this error:
net::ERR_CERT_COMMON_NAME_INVALID

Is it possible to mask the references within Loader.js? It would be very helpful to our Client if so, because then they would only have to whitelist our website's address in the firewall.

Please let me know!

Dennis

Dennis Frolov

Mar 1, 2023, 9:08:36 AM3/1/23
to Google Visualization API
Hey all,

Just checking in - is it not possible to mask the domain names in the JS file?

For example, the references to https://www.gstatic.com/...... in the file would be changed to https://www.gstatic.com.mydomain.co/........
This way, the client would only have to whitelist *.mydomain.co.
However, as stated above, it throws the net::ERR_CERT_COMMON_NAME_INVALID error, which I'm pretty sure is to do with the SSL certificate.

We are still dealing with the issue, so if it is just not possible, please let me know.

Thanks!

Dennis

Daniel LaLiberte

Mar 24, 2023, 1:09:28 PM3/24/23
to Google Visualization API
By "masking" I would guess you mean that we should load remove the "https://www.gstatic.com" prefix on links within the loader, so that it loads from wherever you are getting the loader from.  I believe I understand your reason for needing this, but there are security reasons why the full URL is required by the loader, and I don't believe it will be easy to change if it is possible at all.