Option to toggle accessibility table

Patrick Hardy

May 31, 2019, 11:58:27 AM5/31/19
to Google Visualization API
I am using corechart to build a visual representation of elevation data on large geographic data sets. I am wondering if there is a way to disable or customize the contents of the accessibility table, i.e. the table inside of the div with aria-label="A tabular representation of the data in the chart." I am experiencing a big performance hit, as this table contains over 10,000 DOM nodes on some of our pages, which is slowing down our load times significantly. Furthermore, it seems this much data would be unusable with a screen reader, so I'm wondering if a less verbose output is an option.

Thanks for the help!
Patrick

Daniel LaLiberte

May 31, 2019, 12:12:36 PM5/31/19
to Google Visualization API
Hi Patrick,

You are right that when the size of the accessibility table is too large, it's useless for accessibility anyway.  We should have some way to dynamically populate the table only when it is actually being used.

Currently, the only alternative to improve performance with large data sets is to limit the data that you are visualizing in the first place, but you'll have to create a way of sampling or summarizing the data on your own.  Sorry that I can't offer any better suggestions at this time.

Jan Waga

Jan 16, 2023, 11:57:26 AM1/16/23
to Google Visualization API
Hi all.
Is there any news on the possibility of turning off accessibility table generation?
I can see a thread here called "Tips to get better performance?" from 2015, where such option was discussed :)
It seems this would be a usable feature when dealing with large data quantities.
Thanks.