Delete URL Feature

Neal

Oct 29, 2010, 1:46:24 AM10/29/10
to Google URL Shortener
I agree - needs to be some type of DELETE/REMOVE feature.

If nothing else, keep the URL active, but just allow us to permanently
delete it from our tracking list (simulating a delete).

David Stiner

Dec 15, 2010, 10:31:03 AM12/15/10
to Google URL Shortener
Love this Idea who are the powers that be to make it happen.

Joshua Talley

Dec 16, 2010, 12:07:56 PM12/16/10
to google-url...@googlegroups.com
Perhaps an "archive" feature like in Gmail/Voice. I would definitely like to clean up - or at least organize - my tracking.

Voltron43

Dec 18, 2010, 5:09:20 AM12/18/10
to google-url...@googlegroups.com
I like this idea too.

Handsome

Dec 22, 2010, 4:16:47 PM12/22/10
to Google URL Shortener
I want this, too!
I dont like the idea of having lots of garbage in your Profile at
all...

Please GOOGLE! Implement a DELETE FEATURE!

John McIlwraith

Dec 22, 2010, 5:05:49 PM12/22/10
to google-url...@googlegroups.com
Yeah or simply implement labels like Gmail and allow the Goo's to be archived.

:-)
--
:S.-John: of the McILwraith family
FREE - Accept credit cards payments online today!

Shaul

Dec 22, 2010, 5:15:23 PM12/22/10
to google-url...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

That's very good idea, labels / folders and archive / delete.

Me

AbhiJeet Singh

Sep 28, 2013, 4:55:23 PM9/28/13
to google-url...@googlegroups.com
This makes me wonder how Google is managing so many shortened URLs without deleting 'em. They use base62 for the URLs, and as its of 6 letters, so the total possibilities would be 56800235584 (62^6, including repetitions). What would Google do next? They must come up with the DELETE function.

That was my rational proof for supporting this cause. Please Google, have mercy. ;(

G. Armour Van Horn

Sep 28, 2013, 9:00:09 PM9/28/13
to google-url...@googlegroups.com
Did you think there was some magic limit to the number of characters? Sure, using six gives you 56,800,235,584, but seven gives you 3,521,614,606,208 -- three and a half trillion if fifty-six billion isn't enough to suit you.

Personally, I use my own, and I'm still doing fine with only two characters. But in case I happen to live a whole lot longer than I really want to, I'll just keep adding characters.

Van

Sign up now for Quotes of the Day, a handful of quotations
on a theme delivered every morning.
Enlightenment! Daily, for free!
http://www.qotd.org/subscribe.html

For photography, web design, hosting, and maintenance,
visit Van's home page: http://www.domainvanhorn.com/van/

believed to be clean.

Sushubh Mittal

Sep 29, 2013, 2:31:42 AM9/29/13
to google-url-shortener
Deleting short links is a bad idea. It's not only you that are using a short link. And reusing a short link is an even worse idea.

Renato Pedrosa

Feb 6, 2014, 8:24:17 AM2/6/14
to google-url...@googlegroups.com
Plz do it!

CR

Nov 13, 2014, 3:57:18 AM11/13/14
to google-url...@googlegroups.com
Kindly provide an option to remove short urls created using Google url shortener. Thank you.

Luigi Semenzato

Nov 22, 2014, 12:14:38 PM11/22/14
to google-url...@googlegroups.com
A few comments:

1. I would also find the URL removal feature useful.  Obviously this would work only for URLs created while logged on.
2. It would be nice if Google gave an explanation of why such feature doesn't exist, since it seems useful, not difficult to implement, and harmless.
3. It would also be nice if Google explained a little better the sentence "all goo.gl URLs and click analytics are public and can be accessed by anyone".  Is it even true?  There is a list of all goo.gl URLs somewhere?  Or, given a goo.gl URL, how can I access its analytics?

Sushubh

Nov 22, 2014, 12:19:52 PM11/22/14
to google-url-shortener
​These are personal assumptions.

1. I would also find the URL removal feature useful.  Obviously this would work only for URLs created while logged on.
2. It would be nice if Google gave an explanation of why such feature doesn't exist, since it seems useful, not difficult to implement, and harmless.

​I am guessing Google does not want to help in creating link rot.

3. It would also be nice if Google explained a little better the sentence "all goo.gl URLs and click analytics are public and can be accessed by anyone".  Is it even true?  There is a list of all goo.gl URLs somewhere?  Or, given a goo.gl URL, how can I access its analytics?​

Google does not have a public list of all goo.gl URLs. What they mean is that the search engines can index them and show them in results. Just look at this for example: https://www.google.com/search?q=site%3Agoo.gl
And you can add a + at the end of any goo.gl URL to get its analytics.

Luigi Semenzato

Nov 22, 2014, 1:12:14 PM11/22/14

On Saturday, November 22, 2014 9:19:52 AM UTC-8, operamaniac wrote:
​These are personal assumptions.

1. I would also find the URL removal feature useful.  Obviously this would work only for URLs created while logged on.
2. It would be nice if Google gave an explanation of why such feature doesn't exist, since it seems useful, not difficult to implement, and harmless.

​I am guessing Google does not want to help in creating link rot.

If I shorten a private URL by mistake, and the short URL is public, then I have to remove the long link, so there is equivalent rot.

3. It would also be nice if Google explained a little better the sentence "all goo.gl URLs and click analytics are public and can be accessed by anyone".  Is it even true?  There is a list of all goo.gl URLs somewhere?  Or, given a goo.gl URL, how can I access its analytics?​

Google does not have a public list of all goo.gl URLs. What they mean is that the search engines can index them and show them in results. Just look at this for example: https://www.google.com/search?q=site%3Agoo.gl

And you can add a + at the end of any goo.gl URL to get its analytics.

Good to know, thanks.

Chinmay Rajhans

Nov 22, 2014, 1:44:31 PM11/22/14
to google-url...@googlegroups.com
I support this.

May be the problem is, if some people create such url and then later they delete it, then when someone clicks on it, people will think Google server is having problem etc., so may be because of that, they are not giving option got deleting it.

Sushubh

Nov 22, 2014, 1:54:04 PM11/22/14
to google-url-shortener
That are probably Google bots checking the link for malware. goo.gl also generates a preview of the web page when you create a short link from the goo.gl website. someone has to visit the page for that to happen. i would not worry about that much. though if you are creating a link that only work once (like some kind of a verification link), goo.gl would be a bad idea. someone posted about this problem few weeks ago. they were using goo.gl to create links that worked only once and Google killed their link as soon as a short link was created. probably because google bots visited that link to check for possible issues.

If I shorten a private URL by mistake, and the short URL is public, then I have to remove the long link, so there is equivalent rot.

Google is not causing that dead link. You are!

personally... i would recommend using a self hosted service if you want more control over your short links. a lot of folks here have recommended Yourls. i recently moved to bitly because i wanted to use a custom domain for my shortlinks. and i do not think they allow deletion of short links.

Luigi Semenzato

Nov 22, 2014, 6:57:44 PM11/22/14

On Saturday, November 22, 2014 10:44:31 AM UTC-8, CR wrote:
I support this.

May be the problem is, if some people create such url and then later they delete it, then when someone clicks on it, people will think Google server is having problem etc., so may be because of that, they are not giving option got deleting it.

Yes it's possible.  However, they could also point to a page that says "this link has been deleted by its creator".

On 22 November 2014 at 23:42, Luigi Semenzato <lu...@semenzato.com> wrote:

[...]

So how do you explain this:

And you can add a + at the end of any goo.gl URL to get its analytics.

Good to know, thanks.

Luigi Semenzato

Nov 22, 2014, 7:12:12 PM11/22/14
to google-url...@googlegroups.com

On Saturday, November 22, 2014 10:54:04 AM UTC-8, operamaniac wrote:
So how do you explain this:

That are probably Google bots checking the link for malware. goo.gl also generates a preview of the web page when you create a short link from the goo.gl website. someone has to visit the page for that to happen. i would not worry about that much. though if you are creating a link that only work once (like some kind of a verification link), goo.gl would be a bad idea. someone posted about this problem few weeks ago. they were using goo.gl to create links that worked only once and Google killed their link as soon as a short link was created. probably because google bots visited that link to check for possible issues.

That hasn't happened for some links I created recently (and not so recently), they still have 0 hits.

Anyway, things may have changed, but Google could surely not include their own visits to those counts.

In any case it's quite possible that those people tested the links and then forgot to include their own tests into the count.  Or something similar.

If I shorten a private URL by mistake, and the short URL is public, then I have to remove the long link, so there is equivalent rot.

Google is not causing that dead link. You are!

As I mentioned in a previous post, Google could produce a useful message i.e. "this link has been removed by its author", and thereby absolve itself from the accusation of creating dead links.  Otherwise I'll have to kill my link, most likely in a way that won't produce a useful error message, and most users won't be able to tell it's not Google's fault.

Sorry, it appears that this afternoon I *just* have to be right :)

personally... i would recommend using a self hosted service if you want more control over your short links. a lot of folks here have recommended Yourls. i recently moved to bitly because i wanted to use a custom domain for my shortlinks. and i do not think they allow deletion of short links.

Right, they do not allow deletion, and also don't explain very well why.

Anyway, no biggie.

Message has been deleted

Chirurgien Esthétique Tunisie

Mar 2, 2018, 8:48:03 AM3/2/18