AUTOML Translation - Inconsistent results with Translation Model SPA-ENG

David Raistrick

May 4, 2022, 5:56:06 PM5/4/22
to Google Cloud Translation API

We have encountered an issue with our AutoML model. It is incorrectly translating (Spanish-English) a certain phrase:

utililzar 1 una vez diariamente

Based on our training this should translate to "Use 1 once daily"

but it translates as: "Use 1 time daily"

This (incorrect) translation of “use 1 time daily” is not found anywhere in our training data.

Now, if we add another English phrase (all UPPERCASE) after the original statement, the model correctly translates the statement:

   utilizar 1 una vez diariamente

   UTILIZAR 1 UNA VEZ DIARIAMENTE

Here the translation from SPA to ENG is correct (as trained by our model), both phrases are accurate:

use 1 once daily

USE 1 ONCE DAILY

We were not able to find the root of this issue. Again, the (incorrect) translation of “use 1 time” is not found in our training data.

Hopefully, you can help us find a solution or explanation to this issue.

Thanks.

Eduardo Ortiz Caraveo

May 5, 2022, 2:49:16 PM5/5/22
to Google Cloud Translation API
So if you put the phrase in uppercase it returns the value you want correctly, it might be because somewhere between your model or code might be having difficulties.

ScriptAbility Apps

May 6, 2022, 5:34:08 PM5/6/22
to Google Cloud Translation API
To be clear...  We are getting these results from the Predict Tab for the training model.  I have attached two images to more easily show our results:
Model2.png
Model1.png

Eduardo Ortiz Caraveo

May 9, 2022, 2:52:01 PM5/9/22
to Google Cloud Translation API

I think it's better if you open an issue tracker since this seems like an error within your configuration or the model used.

Eduardo Ortiz Caraveo

May 12, 2022, 5:58:07 PM5/12/22
to Google Cloud Translation API
Also, you can create an issue tracker in the link I provide, you just need to click one of the two options that the page trows to you and explain the issue you are facing.