Supporting Fraco-Arabic in Google Translate API

Mohamed Tarek

Jul 12, 2017, 8:58:36 AM7/12/17
to Google Cloud Translation API
Hello All ,

I am trying to use Google translate API in order to use Arabic Latin (Franco-Arabic) which is the alphabet used to communicate in with the character encoding of Arabic to the Latin script and the Arabic numerals .
For example if you want to express the Arabic letter "ع" with this way it's replace in writing by the number "3" , Also the letter "ص" can be replaced  by the letter "s" , it's very fast , easy to use and it's very common especially among Arab youth.

I found that Google translate webpage is supporting converting Arabic Latin to the same corresponding words in Arabic encoding without any Latin letters and numerals .
when I tried converting the sentence "enta a5bark eh" with the auto detect language option , Google has detected that it's Arabic and translated it to the target language option as well , when I have chosen Arabic as the target language it has translated to "أنت أخبارك إيه" which is very good , and to "How are you" when choosing English as target language , which is also very good.

My issue is I can't use the same functionality of these cases when I'm using Google API sample or the rest API of Google Translate , They can only detect that it's Arabic sentence , but the response returns the same input sentence as output , I'm not able to use the Arabic corresponding sentence However it can be achieved by the google translate application webpage .

The API I am trying to call is : https://www.googleapis.com/language/translate/v2/detect key=[MYKEY]&q=enta%20a5bark%20eh
The response has detect that the language is "Ar".
The response has the translated Text as the same as the input .

Is there a parameter or an entry can be added to the request to inform the API that it's Arabic Latin or How can I use this feature which is already supported by you but I can't use .

Jordan (Cloud Platform Support)

Jul 12, 2017, 4:27:31 PM7/12/17
to Google Cloud Translation API
To clarify, 'https://translate.google.com' is a part of the Translator Toolkit and is separate from the actual Google Cloud Translation API

'https://translate.google.com' uses the Translator Toolkit's Transliteration ability before it even performs the translation. The resulting  "أنت أخبارك إيه" transliteration output can be seen right under the source box in 'https://translate.google.com', and that is the actual result being used for translation (not "enta a5bark eh").

- Transliteration is indeed a good feature request to be provided as an API, and I you can file a request for this in a Public Issue Tracker

istnetwo...@gmail.com

Jul 13, 2017, 9:06:24 AM7/13/17
to Google Cloud Translation API
Thanks for Answering Jordan .

I will request to public Issue tracker , now I am asking about a way to access to Translator ToolKit's Transliteration via a REST api like google Cloud Translate API.

Is there any method to access this required service with any API ?

Jordan (Cloud Platform Support)

Jul 13, 2017, 9:35:54 AM7/13/17
to Google Cloud Translation API
It looks as though they have restricted the use of the API, and it is no longer available for general use. It is also not listed for use in the Google API Explorer. Therefore, as previously recommended, filing a feature request specifically for Transliteration in the Translation API is the best course of action.