Translate API 403 error - userRateLimitExceeded

djani

Dec 29, 2015, 10:59:15 AM12/29/15
to Google Translate API Developer Forum
Hi all,

Project number: 775023146100

We are getting following 403 error when using Google Translate API:

{
  error:
  {
    errors:
    [
      {
        domain: "usageLimits"
        reason: "userRateLimitExceeded",
        message: "User Rate Limit Exceeded"
      }
    ],
    code: 403,
    message: "User Rate Limit Exceeded"

}
}

We send approximately 1-2 requests per second which is not even close to the maximum allowed 100 requests per second, so we are not sure why these errors occur.

Are there some other limitations, such as total allowed number of characters per second or something similar?

Any help would be appreciated

Nick

Dec 30, 2015, 7:27:51 PM12/30/15
to Google Translate API Developer Forum
Are you potentially sending requests from an IP address shared with other callers to the API? Are you sending a very high number of characters per request?

djani

Dec 31, 2015, 4:10:06 AM12/31/15
to Google Translate API Developer Forum
No, the IP address is not shared with other API callers. We send about 700 characters per each request and there is approximately 1k requests which we are trying to send. I read somewhere that there is 100000 chars per 100 sec limit, but I was not able to find any reference of it in official documentation. Do you think this could be the issue?

Nick

Dec 31, 2015, 1:58:51 PM12/31/15
to Google Translate API Developer Forum
I'm currently looking into this issue to determine if there's a limit you might be hitting. Thanks for providing more detailed information about your traffic. I'll let you know if there's any other information needed, or if I have an update for you after investigation.

Jayshree

Jan 6, 2016, 12:35:29 AM1/6/16
to Google Translate API Developer Forum
Hi Nick,
 i am also facing the same issue;

{
 "error": {
  "errors": [
   {
    "domain": "usageLimits",
    "reason": "userRateLimitExceeded",
    "message": "User Rate Limit Exceeded"
   }
  ],
  "code": 403,
  "message": "User Rate Limit Exceeded"
 }
}

Please convey if you find its cause or solution to this.

crodrigue...@gmail.com

Jan 7, 2016, 7:14:03 AM1/7/16
to Google Translate API Developer Forum
Hi,

We are also experiencing the same issue 403:

{"error":{"errors":[{"domain":"usageLimits","reason":"dailyLimitExceeded","message":"Daily Limit Exceeded"}],"code":403,"message":"Daily Limit Exceeded"}}

We sent very low character number, and tried from different locations (from on premise from our office and from Azure)

Please help.

Thanks
Message has been deleted

Da1duc

Jan 13, 2016, 5:50:52 PM1/13/16
to Google Translate API Developer Forum
Having the same issue no mater what rate I throttle at I am getting a limit. Even switched to a different account to make sure it was not something in our corporate account.

Nick

Jan 14, 2016, 1:18:50 PM1/14/16
to Google Translate API Developer Forum
After some thorough investigation, I believe we can provide a response on this thread. There's not currently any issue happening which might affect multiple users. Rather, this is a case of several users hitting similar errors at the same time, and the cause ultimately traces back to a somewhat unclear statement of the quota as seen in the API console.

Translate API considers QPS as characters per second, not requests per second. At 1000 characters per request, this is very plausible to be hitting the documented, displayed 100 per second limit. The 100 QPS rate limit is 100 characters per second. If you require a higher limit, you can request a quota increase. I hope that this is informative and helpful to all of you and that you will feel free to open a quota increase request if you feel so inclined. We've opened an internal bug to get the quota to display more clearly what it means.

Nick

Jan 14, 2016, 1:20:04 PM1/14/16
to Google Translate API Developer Forum
The 10K chars / 100 secs limit is explained by looking at this fraction in reduced form, which is what's shown (could be more clear, and see my most recent reply before this one for more explanation) in the console as 100 chars / sec.

Jonathon

Jan 14, 2016, 3:53:10 PM1/14/16
to Google Translate API Developer Forum
Thank you for responding Nick! The quota increase form linked in your post is just for increasing characters/day. Is there a separate one for characters/second, or can I write in the "Please explain why the online paid version of the Translate API V2 doesn't meet your needs" section of the form that I need an increased characters/second quota increase, rather than a characters/day quota increase?

Nick

Jan 14, 2016, 5:05:45 PM1/14/16
to Google Translate API Developer Forum
Very true! That sounds like a good solution, yes.