Google Teacher Newsletter - GTA London, Apps Webinar, Doodle4Google, ISTE

Google Educator Outreach

May 20, 2010, 7:20:39 PM5/20/10
to google-teacher-center
Hello teachers,

As the year comes to a close, we're sure you're feeling a bit nostalgic as your students move on to the next grade. But we're also pretty certain you are super excited about your pending summer vacations.  Here at Google, we're feeling a bit envious of your extended breaks but we're also really jazzed about all that we have to share with you before school's out for summer.  So before you grab your volleyball and head for the beach, check out the latest Google for Educators news:

GOOGLE TEACHER ACADEMY, LONDON
We've got GTA news!  Our first ever international Google Teacher Academy will take place on Thursday, July 29th (with an optional half day on July 30th) at the Google office in London.  We are accepting applications from all over the world, so polish up your writing and video skills and apply by midnight PST on Thursday, June 17th.  For more information, please visit our site:  http://www.google.com/educators/gta.html

WEBINAR:  OREGON DEPT OF EDUCATOIN SAVES $1.5M WITH GOOGLE APPS
Oregon is the first state to open up Google Apps Education Edition to all public schools across the state. They estimate savings of $1.5M per year by moving to Google Apps. Join Steve Nelson, Chief IT Strategist for the Oregon Department of Education, and the Google Apps team for this webinar where they’ll discuss the benefits of Google Apps, talk about why Oregon decided to “Go Google,” and share plans for using Google Apps with all the schools.

Register for the webinar here: https://googleonline.webex.com/googleonline/onstage/g.php?t=a&d=570746999

Submit your questions for Oregon and the Google team ahead of time at http://www.google.com/moderator/#16/e=695e

DOODLE4GOOGLE: CAST YOUR VOTE!
For the first time ever, as part of this year’'s Doodle4Google competition, we headed straight to classrooms all across the United States. From Gig Harbor, WA to Niceville, FL, Googlers visited the schools of our top 40 Regional Finalists to celebrate art and technology with thousands of K-12 students and teachers. With our top 40 Regional Finalists unveiled, it's now your turn to vote on the top 40 doodles! Cast your votes online from May 20  - 25th for your favorite doodle (one from each of the four grade groups). On May 26, we’ll announce the national winner at our awards ceremony in New York City, and the winning design will appear on the US Google homepage on Thursday, May 27. The national winner will also receive a $15,000 college scholarship and $25,000 towards a new computer lab for their school. In addition to our top 40 Regional Finalists, we’d like to congratulate the 400 State Finalists as well as our Extra Credit Technology Booster award winners. Please vote for your favorite doodle at http://www.google.com/doodle4google/vote.html

VIDEO: SALINE AREA SCHOOLS GO GOOGLE
Saline Area Schools, a K-12 public district in Michigan, saved $400k by moving faculty email to Google Apps. Soon after implementation, Google Apps’ additional features – including collaboration tools like Google Docs and Google Sites – started to take off with faculty and students. Watch this new video to learn why Saline Area Schools switched to Google Apps and about the benefits they are now seeing in the classroom with students: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7VPie-Yd0U

GOOGLE AT ISTE 2010
Stop by Google booth #2526 on the exhibitor’s floor. We'll have a teaching theater with sessions on Google Apps, Google Earth, Google Search, and Wave! We are also planning an evening event - the invitation and RSVP form, as well as our full teaching theater schedule, will soon be available on the Google Apps Education website (www.google.com/a/edu)

Well, that's about all we've got for this edition of the Google Teacher Newsletter. We'll be sure to check in during the summer, but if we miss you, we hope you have an amazing break and we'll see you in September!

Cheers!
Cristin Frodella
Google K-12 Education Outreach

Google for Educators