Google Teacher Newsletter - National Teacher's Day Edition 2009

Cristin Frodella

May 7, 2009, 3:19:24 PM5/7/09
to google-teacher-center
Hello Teachers,

Happy National Teacher's Day, two days late.  Here at Google, we'd like to take this time to salute all teachers, for all you do every day (not just May 5th), and we'd like to mention an accomplishment of one of our favorite teachers, Jerome Burg.  Jerome, a Google Certified Teacher, was recognized for his work on Google Lit Trips by the Goldman Sachs foundation for Excellence in International Education in Media and Technology .  Google Lit Trips uses the technologies of Google Earth and social networking to bring literature to life through virtual mapping. By placing markers on Google Earth tracking the journeys of characters from literature and populating those placemarks with a wide variety of supplemental resources, students can “ride along as virtual passengers” on the same journey the characters are taking. The site gives teachers access to previously constructed Google Lit Trips as well as the ability to interact and post new trips online.
Check out Jerome's award at:  http://asiasociety.org/education/prizes/home.htm
And be sure to stop by Google Lit Trips at:  http://www.googlelittrips.org/

In celebration of National Teacher's Day, we are happy to announce that applications are now open for our next Google Teacher Academy, which will take place in our Boulder, Colorado office on August 5th, 2009.  For those unfamiliar with it, the Google Teacher Academy is a FREE professional development experience designed to help K-12 educators get the most from innovative technologies. Each Academy is an intensive, one-day event where participants get hands-on experience with Google's free products and other technologies, learn about innovative instructional strategies, receive resources to share with colleagues, and immerse themselves in an innovative corporate environment. Upon completion, Academy participants become Google Certified Teachers who share what they learn with other K-12 educators in their local region.  The GTA is open to teachers all over the world, but participants must pay for their own travel and lodging, if necessary.
For more information on the GTA, please go to:  http://www.google.com/educators/gta.html
Please check out the application and apply by MIDNIGHT, July 3rd, 2009:  https://spreadsheets.google.com/viewform?formkey=cmNxOEpoMi1pM1hiWnl2ZW52cWNERnc6MA..

As a tool for teachers, Google is excited to share news about a comprehensive new digital media education program from one of our partners, Common Sense Media, a leading non-partisan, non-profit resource that helps families and educators teach kids how to be safe and smart in today’s media driven world.  Their new program, Common Sense Schools, provides materials to engage parents and teachers in an interactive dialogue about the media kids consume and create. The program takes a balanced approach by addressing both the opportunities and challenges of new media for parents and kids.  It’s available for free online and is designed to give you the flexibility to target the media-related issues, like social networking or cyberbullying, that matter most to your community. For free access to videos and downloadable presentations, tip sheets, and discussion materials that will give you all the tools your school needs to build a school-community partnership around media and technology issues, check out: http://www.commonsensemedia.org/schools

Alright teachers, I think we've taken up a fair amount of your time for now.  Please expect another newsletter around the National Education Computing Conference (NECC) at the end of June, where we'll be sharing exciting information about how you can get involved in using Google Apps Education Edition at your school.
If you'd like to get a jump on that, check out:  http://www.google.com/a/edu

Warm Regards,
Cristin Frodella
Google K-12 Education Outreach

Google for Educators
http://www.google.com/educators

Google, Inc.
1600 Amphitheatre Parkway
Mountain View, CA 94043

--
Cristin Frodella
Product Marketing Manager

'le mieux est l'ennemi du bien"

This email and the information it contains are confidential and may be privileged. If you have received this email in error please notify me immediately and do not copy it for any purpose, or disclose its contents to any other person.  Internet communications are not secure and, therefore, Google does not accept legal responsibility for the contents of this message as it has been transmitted over a public network. If you suspect the message may have been intercepted or amended please call me.