Google Teacher Newsletter - Special Edition - GTA NYC 2008, Elections

Google Educator Outreach

Sep 19, 2008, 2:28:09 PM9/19/08
to google-teacher-center
Greetings Teachers,

We would say welcome back to school, but we imagine it already feels as if you've never been gone.  Here at Google, we're shaking off the last bits of summer sand and digging in for our next "year."  We're excited, busy and looking forward to all there is to learn in 2008-2009.

Thanks to all of you who have expressed interest in attending the next Google Teacher Academy, which we mentioned in our last newsletter.  As promised, here is the detailed information:  The next GTA will take place on Tuesday, November 18th at our offices in New York City. The GTA is our free training program for K-12 educators. It's an intensive, one-day event (8:30am-7:30pm) where 50 selected participants get hands-on experience with our free products and other technologies, learn about innovative instructional strategies, collaborate with exceptional educators, and immerse themselves in an innovative corporate environment. Upon completion, GTA participants become Google Certified Teachers who share what they learn with other K-12 educators in their local regions. We're now taking applications and encourage educators from around the U.S. and the world to apply. Applications are due October 10, 2008. To learn more about how to apply for the GTA NYC 2008, visit: http://www.google.com/educators/gta.html

All around Google (and all around the world), there is buzz which is quickly turning into a roar about this November's election. Google has teamed up with the National Student/Parent Mock Election to get students of all ages as excited as we are about the November U.S. elections by bringing into the classroom some of the same tools and technologies that have changed politics in this country so dramatically. To get a sense of just how dramatically the Internet has changed politics, consider this: YouTube didn't exist during the last Presidential election, and yet today it's a central part of the political dialogue. To check out some of our tools and technologies, please visit:  http://www.google.com/educators/elections_tools.html

Elections Tools for Teachers makes it easy to bring some of the best Internet tools into the classroom to get your students engaged. You'll find descriptions and suggested learning activities for tools like YouTube, Google Maps, Elections Video Search and Power Readers. Check it out and send us your feedback:  https://spreadsheets.google.com/viewform?key=pTM7o25sgF7ywCqyk_gZzXA

Or - to learn more about all of these features, just visit:
http://www.google.com/educators

Thank you, teachers.  We look forward to hearing your feedback and hope to meet some of you in New York in November!

Cheers,
Cristin Frodella
Google K-12 Education Outreach

Google for Educators