E-mail filtering

adriantaylor

Oct 11, 2009, 5:50:31 PM10/11/09
to Google Teacher Academy UK
I'm considering turning on gApps e-mail for my students (7-13 year
olds), but am concerned about filter/observability, etc.

We're a small school, prep, with boarding, which means that I'm
expected to know exactly what my kids are sending to each other at all
times.

I don't really want to be monitoring people, but I do need to be able
to go into their mailboxes from time to time to investigate issues -
is this a possibility with gApps mail?

Does postini have the functionality to easily filter out messages with
keywords in (e.g. f***) ?

dgilmour

Oct 11, 2009, 6:14:44 PM10/11/09
to Google Teacher Academy UK
As an Admin, you can go into their mailboxes, as you put it, by
resetting the user password. What you can't do is go on fishing
expeditions without letting the user know, and getting their
agreement.

You need to be careful about privacy. Google clearly take that
seriously and there are specific obligations on you, as Customer, in
the Education Terms http://www.google.com/apps/intl/en/terms/education_terms.html,
copied below:

2.4 Privacy. Customer agrees to protect the privacy rights of its End
Users under all applicable laws and regulations. Customer’s
Administrators may have the ability to access, monitor, use, or
disclose data available to End Users within the End User Accounts.
Customer will obtain and maintain consent from all End Users to
Customer’s access, monitoring, use or disclosure of this data, and to
Google providing Customer with the ability to do so. Customer is
responsible for obtaining any necessary authorizations from End Users
to enable Google to provide the Services.

hgjohn

Oct 12, 2009, 7:01:36 AM10/12/09
to Google Teacher Academy UK
What about the use of systems that scan emails for breaches of policy,
e.g use of swear words, racist language, cyberbullying etc? It's my
understanding that systems that filter this sort of stuff and report
breaches to the responsible person are perfectly acceptable as long as
the users are aware that such systems are active and are within the
school's acceptable use policy. In other words I don't need to get
specific permission from a user to scan their email routinely for
stuff other than viruses. Am I wrong on this? Are Google t&cs
different?