best laptop for programming

musangbijak

Jul 31, 2008, 4:38:05 AM7/31/08
to Google Summer of Code Discuss
dear all,

i'm thinking bout buying a new laptop. Can you all suggest which one
is the best to do all programming stuff?
and what about macbook? anybody using mac os x here? can you tell me
how it feel?

Alberto Borda

Jul 31, 2008, 4:41:57 AM7/31/08
to google-summer-...@googlegroups.com
In my opinion .. go for Lenovo ThinkPad T Series.

musangbijak

Jul 31, 2008, 4:51:28 AM7/31/08
to Google Summer of Code Discuss
oh really. can you tell me why? i'm sorry for this question. I really2
a beginner i programming.

On Jul 31, 4:41 pm, "Alberto Borda" <betobo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> In my opinion .. go for Lenovo ThinkPad T Series.

Barry Carlyon

Jul 31, 2008, 5:21:27 AM7/31/08
to google-summer-...@googlegroups.com
1) Plays music,
2) Allows use of putty/terminal/whatever you call it on a mac,
3) Plays music,
4) Long Battery Life,
5) Lots of USB/Firewire Connections
6) Top of the range wifi card
7) Plays music
8) TV out
9) Monitor Out for dual screenage
10) Play music

Barry Carlyon
"Located Between Al-Jazeera and BBC Radio 1"

Webmaster of,

http://barrycarlyon.co.uk
http://lsrfm.com

mobile: 07729 048 443
office: 0113 380 1280
skype: barrycarlyon
email: ba...@barrycarlyon.co.uk
msn: ba...@barrycarlyon.co.uk

barrycarlyon.vcf

geoaxis

Aug 1, 2008, 7:24:08 AM8/1/08
to Google Summer of Code Discuss
I use Ubuntu and I got me self an Acer Aspire 7720-6604 from
NewEgg.com (which is an excellent retailer)

It has 3 gb of Ram , 300+GB HDD and 17 inch screen. It's mroe if a
desktop replacement and runs every thing very smooth. and on top of
that it costs much less than equivalent specs for any good company.

It looks very ugly though (perhaps one of the ugliest machine you will
ever see) but hey ..what the hell :)

--
Hatim

Felipe Cerqueira skylazart

Aug 1, 2008, 8:43:46 AM8/1/08
to google-summer-...@googlegroups.com
And the serial port? sometimes its necessary to debug into kernel land... this notebook have serial port? It's hard to find... I know only DELL notebooks with this port.
--
Felipe Cerqueira / skylazart
skylazart [at] gmail.com

Ruiqi Mao

Aug 1, 2008, 10:36:21 PM8/1/08
to google-summer-...@googlegroups.com
NEVER USE A MAC FOR PROGRAMMING!!! Use Windows 2000, Xp, or Linux. Use Linux if you plan on using server side programming. USe Windows if you plan on going local.
--
Ruiqi Mao
DaFlashDude

Minh Doan

Aug 1, 2008, 10:42:09 PM8/1/08
to google-summer-...@googlegroups.com
I think Thinkpad Lenovo is the fittest one to programmer.

Jeremy McAnally

Aug 2, 2008, 12:04:08 AM8/2/08
to google-summer-...@googlegroups.com
I disagree.  I use a Macbook every day.  It gives me the power of Linux in a pretty shell with excellent hardware to boot!

--Jeremy

Sent from my iPod

Johannes Kulick

Aug 2, 2008, 5:50:38 AM8/2/08
to google-summer-...@googlegroups.com
I strongly disagree! I use OS X for programming all day long. It's
not that nice for programming as Linux, where you has all libs just
one command away, but for all day use, it's pretty nice.

Alberto Borda

Aug 2, 2008, 8:43:21 AM8/2/08
to google-summer-...@googlegroups.com
Hi

I work as a programmer with regular (maybe large someday) applications. For me compiling takes a considerable amount of time. So, the larger the amount of memory the better I would say.

I have seen many bad notebooks in many brands, and very good notebooks in the same brands. You have to search in forums OF notebooks and computers, and read people's comments, look at magazines (http://www.pcworld.com/article/123729/top_10_power_laptops.html)  Look in every brand for the performance category.

About mac nice ...very nice (for programming as well) but very expensive :(   I am not mac user, maybe one day :D

Cheers

Alberto

Minh Doan

Aug 2, 2008, 8:49:54 AM8/2/08
to google-summer-...@googlegroups.com
I am a Window user and I am used to programming in Visual Studio 2005. I think using macbook has some problem with windows applications. Moreover, I can not play some games written in MS WINDOW such as PRO EVOLUTION.

Any patches of mac for these stuffs?

Johannes Kulick

Aug 2, 2008, 10:01:48 AM8/2/08
to google-summer-...@googlegroups.com
Well playing games isn't that important for programming, I think. And
there's a good patch for visual studio: use Eclipse, NetBeans,
XTools, IDEA etc. pp.. Come on guy. Of course Visual Studio is a good
IDE, but it's not irreplaceble. (And there are a lot of very nice
apps for OS X, be sure)

Why do you suggest only Win machines for _programming_? There're a
lot of nice IDEs for all platforms and there's no reason why windows
is much better for programming. I would mention that on most Linux
distributions you can get your libraries very easliy (apt-get install
mylib-dev :) or even with pacman or other package-system). That's
harder on both win and mac. On Mac and Linux there's a compiler right
on your machine, when you install the development-packages. Windows
misses that.

And somehow today on a mac you're not limited to OS X. You can easily
install Linux and Windows, too. So multi-platform programming is much
more handable than on a 'normal' PC. (I'm not sure, is there any
(legal) possibility to get OS X in a VM on a PC?)

greets, johannes

Am 02.08.2008 um 14:49 schrieb Minh Doan:

> I am a Window user and I am used to programming in Visual Studio
> 2005. I think using macbook has some problem with windows
> applications. Moreover, I can not play some games written in MS
> WINDOW such as PRO EVOLUTION.
>
> Any patches of mac for these stuffs?
>
> On Sat, Aug 2, 2008 at 7:43 PM, Alberto Borda <beto...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> Hi
>
> I work as a programmer with regular (maybe large someday)
> applications. For me compiling takes a considerable amount of time.
> So, the larger the amount of memory the better I would say.
>
> I have seen many bad notebooks in many brands, and very good
> notebooks in the same brands. You have to search in forums OF
> notebooks and computers, and read people's comments, look at
> magazines (http://www.pcworld.com/article/123729/

> top_10_power_laptops.html) Look in every brand for the performance

Jeremy McAnally

Aug 2, 2008, 10:49:20 AM8/2/08
to google-summer-...@googlegroups.com
Hard on Mac?

sudo port install yourlib

Done!

--Jeremy

Sent from my iPod

Johannes Kulick

Aug 2, 2008, 11:15:51 AM8/2/08
to google-summer-...@googlegroups.com
Yeah, but macports and fink aren't on this scale as the most linux
distro-repositries, are they?
(And of course there are some libs already in xcode tools, but they
are not that up-to-date.)

and you have to know and install fink and ports first (okay, okay.
weak argument :) )

Johannes

Chris DiBona

Aug 2, 2008, 11:47:07 AM8/2/08
to google-summer-...@googlegroups.com
Hate to be the non-absolutist, but what does it matter what your host os is? You can run your non-favorite in a vm..

Chris
--
Open Source Programs Manager, Google Inc.
Google's Open Source program can be found at http://code.google.com

Johannes Kulick

Aug 2, 2008, 11:51:53 AM8/2/08
to google-summer-...@googlegroups.com
I'm absolutely doing the same here. But I need some libs on all three
plattforms to get my projects compiled :)

johannes

Ruiqi Mao

Aug 2, 2008, 11:53:18 AM8/2/08
to google-summer-...@googlegroups.com
Yeah! Why does it matter? All you need is the OS and you can put it on any computer.

Joel Bryan Juliano

Aug 2, 2008, 10:45:18 PM8/2/08
On Sat, Aug 2, 2008 at 10:36 AM, Ruiqi Mao <rui...@gmail.com> wrote:
> NEVER USE A MAC FOR PROGRAMMING!!! Use Windows 2000, Xp, or Linux. Use Linux
> if you plan on using server side programming. USe Windows if you plan on
> going local.

What do you mean "never" use a Mac for programming? In theory, I can
use any computer as long as it has a compiler in it. In practice, I'll
go for a "MacBook Pro" for R&D and programming tasks, after all, the
fastest Laptop to run Vista is a "Mac" not a PC, and you'll definitely
need it's awesome speed for compiling. (I hate to be biased, but ever
wonder the joy of encoding your DVD's to H264 to put into your iPhone
at that speed?).

David Anderson

Aug 3, 2008, 10:58:21 AM8/3/08
to google-summer-...@googlegroups.com
On Sun, Aug 3, 2008 at 4:45 AM, Joel Bryan Juliano
<joelbrya...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Aug 2, 2008 at 10:36 AM, Ruiqi Mao <rui...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> NEVER USE A MAC FOR PROGRAMMING!!! Use Windows 2000, Xp, or Linux. Use Linux
>> if you plan on using server side programming. USe Windows if you plan on
>> going local.
>>

> What do you mean "never" use a Mac for programming? In theory, I can
> use any computer as long as it has a compiler in it. In practice, I'll
> go for a "MacBook Pro" for R&D and programming tasks, after all, the
> fastest Laptop to run Vista is a "Mac" not a PC, and you'll definitely

Proof please? Why would a macbook pro run vista any faster than a Dell
XPS laptop, which has similar hardware characteristics?

> need it's awesome speed for compiling. (I hate to be biased, but ever
> wonder the joy of encoding your DVD's to H264 to put into your iPhone
> at that speed?).

No, but I do wonder how this relates to all that compiling you
mentionned earlier. In any case, if you just want to awe at the speed
of random_symbolically_intense_computation, you may want to shop
around for one of those quad-core gamer laptops. They weigh 15kg and
run hot enough to fry an egg, but hey, can't beat it for performance.
Or maybe a laptop needs to be chosen according to considerations other
than pure performance :P

Oh, and my opinion of macbook pros, after owning one myself for 1.5y
and using another at work: don't do it. The pretty factor eventually
wears off, and you slowly start to realize that OS X is, in fact,
extremely infuriating to use in various ways. Nothing major, but a lot
of little treatments and glitches that just pile up and contribute to
slowing you down and/or annoying you. Linux support is not yet up to
scratch (battery life is about 50% of OS X battery life), and running
a virtual machine as your primary OS is just stupidly forking over
resources for the host OS you never use and the virtualization
software. I have no experience with running Windows on the macbook,
since I do not have a license and am not interested in running Windows
as a primary OS (you could even say that I don't trust it to be at
such a low level in my software stack). But there again, it seems like
an awful lot of work (plus a license for OS X, and wasted disk space,
and random bugs if Boot Camp feels like it).

My next personal laptop will likely be a Dell machine running Linux.
It will be used almost exclusively for development and internet access
on the road.

- Dave

Ruiqi Mao

Aug 3, 2008, 10:58:27 AM8/3/08
to google-summer-...@googlegroups.com
Well, doesn't Mac focus on graphics, which makes it slow?

Johannes Kulick

Aug 3, 2008, 11:48:02 AM8/3/08
to google-summer-...@googlegroups.com
Uh, that's a strange conclusion, isn't it? Of course much design-
stuff is done on a mac, but that doesn't mean, that macs are
especially made for graphics. And if they would: don't you need much
speed for doing graphic/movie stuff?

Macs are good workstations and they are in deed pretty fast.

Marcus D. Hanwell

Aug 3, 2008, 11:49:40 AM8/3/08
On 03/08/2008, David Anderson <david.jc...@gmail.com> wrote:
> My next personal laptop will likely be a Dell machine running Linux.
> It will be used almost exclusively for development and internet access
> on the road.

What pushed you toward the Dell laptop? I have used a Macbook Pro for
a good few months and do not recommend it for development. I had a
similar experience with Mac OS X where it has far too many little
annoying problems that just add up.

I have been using an Acer Ferrari laptop which works pretty well
although it is on the heavy side and runs pretty hot. I run Linux on
it and it is great for working on the road. The ATI GPU is not so
great though and has made OpenGL development tough.

I was looking at the Lenovo T series (wish I had gone for the IBM T
series when I got this one now). I don't think Macs warrant the extra
money, I would rather spend it on more RAM, faster processor and a
bigger battery.

This thread has certainly made an interesting read. One big issue I
still have with Linux on the laptop is sleep and smooth display of
presentations on a projector with at least screen cloning. I suspect
this is due in large part to the graphics driver support and the Intel
chipsets seem to do well in both of these areas.

neugens.li...@gmail.com

Aug 3, 2008, 1:37:45 PM8/3/08
On Aug 2, 4:36 am, "Ruiqi Mao" <rui...@gmail.com> wrote:
> NEVER USE A MAC FOR PROGRAMMING!!! Use Windows 2000, Xp, or Linux. Use Linux
> if you plan on using server side programming. USe Windows if you plan on
> going local.

Are you kidding? Use Windows for programming?

Linux and Mac are comfortable environments (Linux much more), Windows
and programming... well, unless you pay much for some software and
manage to find a decent shell, you can forget it.

Mario

Shikhar

Aug 3, 2008, 2:38:21 PM8/3/08
to google-summer-...@googlegroups.com

I don't understand how this thread is on topic, and it's really not
going anywhere. Please stop with the replies.

To the OP, there are many better sources of getting advice on what
laptop to buy than the GSoC discussion list.

Shikhar

Piotr Szotkowski

Aug 3, 2008, 3:02:05 PM8/3/08
to google-summer-...@googlegroups.com
David Anderson:

> On Sun, Aug 3, 2008 at 4:45 AM, Joel Bryan Juliano
> <joelbrya...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> after all, the fastest Laptop to run Vista is a "Mac" not a PC

> Proof please? Why would a macbook pro run vista any faster than

> a Dell XPS laptop, which has similar hardware characteristics?

I believe Joel refers to this PC World test:
http://www.google.com/search?q=fastest+Vista+laptop

> My next personal laptop will likely be a Dell machine running Linux.
> It will be used almost exclusively for development and internet access
> on the road.

I’m sticking to ThinkPads (my first was R31, then X40 Tablet, now X60).

With Intel graphics and Ubuntu everything works out of the box,
including 3D, WiFi and suspend. Being a programmer at work, a software
geek and a PhD student, I usually type for about twelve hours a day, and
the ThinkPads’ keyboards are unbeatable – the quality is fantastic, and
the factor is exactly the same, whether the screen has twelve inches or
fifteen. The only thing missing is a DVI port.

Also, http://thinkwiki.org/ is a marvel.

-- Piotr Szotkowski
--
"It's like a rainbow. Without an observer at a twenty-three-degree angle to
the light reflecting off a cloud of spherical droplets, there is no rainbow.

Nick Boldt

Aug 3, 2008, 5:03:05 PM8/3/08
to google-summer-...@googlegroups.com
As a sw dev, if you want to support Mac people in your development
efforts, why not a triple-boot Mac with XP and some new Linux (eg.,
ubuntu 8.04LTS) on it? Then you have the best of all three worlds.

As a non-Mac user, however, I personally would recommend Thinkpads --
they're durable and well designed (aesthetically and functionally),
though my T60p does run hot once in a while. But because I run linux
(actually, I dual-boot XP, but almost *never* use the XP partition) I
can immediately see when it's hot (using conky), and close down some
apps or take a break. The power management / cpu frequency management
in newer linuxes is pretty efficient -- I can cycle down to 1/2 or 1/3
cpu speed when not doing anything computationally heavy (eg.,
compiling code or playing video).

As to suspend to ram (aka sleep mode), the newer Linuxes finally get
this right, too. Windows has had it since Win 2K, but I find only the
newer linuxes since 2007 (I use Debian and *ubuntu variants), actually
do this without incident or effort (kubuntu 6 / MEPIS 6 had problems;
MEPIS 7 / antix 7 / xubuntu 8.04 are fine). xubuntu 8.04 in
particular, designed for older hardware and thus optimized for speed,
has been rocking my world for about a month on various laptops and
desktops. I'm guessing Mac also has this sorted out, as it's tended to
focus better on user experience in the past. (Linux is catching up,
but it's still by-geeks-for-geeks in many ways, IMHO.)

A number of years ago, I tried to buy an Acer laptop for my fiance
(not even for sw dev, just for office stuff and presentations), but
discovered to our annoyance that the battery only lasts 90 mins from
full charge. Thinkpads, on the other hand, range from 3-6hrs,
depending on the size of battery you buy. I've used both R and T
series laptops, and their batteries last 3-5 years before they lose
this efficiency and need to be replaced.

As to having to pay for dev software if you use Windows... haven't you
heard of Eclipse? It's free and you can install plugins to support
your writing code in at least a dozen different languages -- from Java
to python to php to xml/xsl/xsd/ant to perl to ruby to C, C++, and C#.
Oh, and it runs on Mac and Linux too, so you can use one IDE for all
your work, regardless of your OS of choice. :)

Brett Lymn

Aug 4, 2008, 6:50:08 AM8/4/08
to google-summer-...@googlegroups.com, Piotr Szotkowski
guys, I think we are a bit off topic here.

SG

Aug 4, 2008, 7:18:11 AM8/4/08
to Google Summer of Code Discuss

On Aug 3, 4:58 pm, "David Anderson" <david.jc.ander...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 3, 2008 at 4:45 AM, Joel Bryan Juliano

+1 here, for example:
- lots of keys missing, and faking them by some other key combinations
only makes me nervous when I have to push 2 - 4 keys just to get an
Insert or a Control+End... And worse, they waste one key for two
strange symbols I never used, and by default the F keys trigger some
MacOS actions.
- Copy/Paste not working between X11 and the rest of the mac
applications
- Inconsistent shortcuts between applications. In the past Linux was
criticized for this reason, but the applications I use in KDE look
more consistent than the various applications I had in MacOS, mostly
because there is a combination of 100% Mac apps, 100% Linux apps and
Linux apps [semi]ported to the MacOS conventions, and it's a pain to
remember for each application what the hell must I press to select
word by word
- No good Free text editor available, and running Kate in X annoys me
a lot (see the above 2 items)
- iTunes really sux after I got used to Amarok. How the hell am I to
play my flac collection? I ended up using mplayer in the console for
this...
- In general, a lot of great Linux apps are not available for MacOS,
and rarely are there good (free) equivalents.
- I spent a lot of time trying to find a color picker to get a color
from a picture. There is an application bundled with the OS, but it's
not where one would expect to find it.
- Just like the Windows crap, by default MacOS comes with almost no
usable applications, and even worse, a lot of crap that takes a lot of
space, like the MS Office and iWork trials, the processor-hungry 3d
board (bored?) games,
- Getting the terminal/mc to accept home, end, pageup and pagedown is
a pretty annoying thing.

> Linux support is not yet up to
> scratch (battery life is about 50% of OS X battery life), and running
> a virtual machine as your primary OS is just stupidly forking over
> resources for the host OS you never use and the virtualization
> software.

Not exactly, after a disk crash, I installed Gentoo on my macbook
(something I wanted to do since the beginning, but never found the
time to do it), and it's running smoother than the old MacOS (after a
year it took ages to boot, and it ate a lot of memory without any
programs running), and after some tweaking the battery life is just a
bit less than what I had in MacOS.

Speaking of disk crashes, in my company a lot of macs broke down in
less than a year. Besides the good battery life and the small design,
there's no real advantage in having a mac. And recently many other
laptops are designed with these two features, and with a smaller price.

Max Horn

Aug 4, 2008, 9:05:59 AM8/4/08
to google-summer-...@googlegroups.com
Please stop this thread It's off-topic, and most posts are not even
well-informed, so let's just end it already.

Bye,
Max